Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

If you could live anywhere in Montana or Wyoming.

If I was going to live in Wyoming it would be the Pinedale area. Don't know anything about Montana but absolutely love Northeastern NV!!

Not a bad choice there...

I haven't had a chance to see the Cody Area, but I think the proximity of Pinedale to the Wind River range would give you plenty of opportunity without being in the tourista hub of Jackson.

I wouldn't overlook Idaho for the availability of General season opportunity. But truth be told. seldom is good hunting "right out the back door" . Live where you want to live and hunt where you want to hunt.

You can buy a good Camper and hunt 3 states in one season for less than the annual payments on a cabin you would use 3 months a year...Year round residence is different..

Drahthaar and I are NW Montana boys. My extended family is primarily from North Dakota so I know that most of my cousins get claustrophobic in NW Montana. But given the criteria you mentioned, I'd point you to the Lower Clark Fork (Thompson Falls / Trout Creek). TONS of game in those mountains with none of it private, and access is available to almost every drainage.

It isn't open like Eastern Montana, and the mountains are steep and tough, but there's plenty of elk with opportunities for scoring big, with a good population of muleys. The elk harvests from this area speaks for itself. Here's a pic of a couple of muley bucks taken same day a couple years ago. Plenty of quality available.

09_bucks.jpg

Any where in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana has got to be better than being stuck in California.

Living in ND We have access to world class Pheasant hunting and believe it or not Awesome Whitetail.

Looking for a spot that We could have a Vacation/hunting home that I could hunt right out my back door. So since the price of Land is crazy high out there I'm sure I won't be able to have more that 100 acres. So I need to be in a area with tons of public land. Elk would be number 1 on the list. And could travel some for Muledeer.

My wife loves the thick Timber but I would prefer haveing areas that do have some meadows or logged areas. Just so it is alittle easier to see game.

I did notice that on the drive from Helena to Eureka I did see alot of hunters accessing public land so I'm guessing the hunting must be pretty good.

Did love all the turkeys in the NW corner ofthe state. That was a bonus to see.

Last edited:
I have often told my wife, if I could live anywhere I wanted it would be in the Big Hole river valley of SW Montana. Somewhere around Wisdom.

Tim

If I could choose somewhere in mt/wy I would have a cabin up by burgess junction in the bighorns and live in Sheridan, Wyoming. Tongue river reservoir, bighorn river, lake desmet, bighorn lake for fishing/boating. The bighorns and Custer Forrest for hunting. Not to mention the world class whiteys right around town in the creek bottoms.

The original question was a cabin with ND as home. If I HAD to live in ND, I would have a cabin north of Jordan, mt. You can do alot of cool things with a nice fishing boat, a bow, rifle, and some elk/coyote calls.

You would do well to look at Judith Basin county. Around Stanford, particularly south and west of there.
Would meet all your elk and mule deer requirements, minutes from the mountains, bird hunting is great and property is (by MT standards) not so out of sight inflated. You would also be only a short drive to the breaks, (mainly bow hunting )where many people would argue the elk hunting is better than the mountains. You would also be an hour or less to Great Falls for your domestic needs. I spent a small fortune travelling to get groceries and hardware and learned the hard way the value of being within a practical driving distance of a decent town. Actually to my mind, Buffalo is the perfect place. Good luck with the search

I'm a NW Montana boy as well, raised and grazed as they say outside of Whitefish. If I were gonna move today and pick anywhere it would be somewhere between Thompson Falls and Libby. Not bad access to Spokane for medical care as you age, great mountains and game opportunity. Lower cost of housing and it offers very little to those people not from Montana who want to move there and change it.

Sent you a PM.
I live in Saratoga, Wy that has been mentioned several times. First job out of college was in Buffalo on the edge of the Bighorns and I spend lots of time toward Cody with the in-laws.
Give me a shout and I can answer specific questions about any of those areas...............

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Things we are looking for.
1. Elk
2. Mountains
3. Mule deer if possible
4. Public land
5. Tag status general area Special Units if not a 10 year wait

Sounds like you should consider SW New Mexico to me.... Quemado, Datil, Reserve, Apache Creek, etc....

Traveling the West these last few years from New Orleans, I've been to a number of areas out west that I would love to live. For a homebase, I think I would want to live in an area that I had the chance to draw a tag nearly every year (I'd hate to think of having to wait 10+ years to hunt out of my backdoor). If I did that, I think I could get familiar enough with an area to have a good time hunting it every year. The two that jump to the top of my list right now would be around Missoula, MT or Crested Butte, CO. Gorgeous country in both areas. The high-country around Crested Butte has tremendous mule deer and elk hunting. The location of Missoula allows you to hunt MT as a resident and you are right next door to some good (better before the wolves) area of OTC elk hunting in Idaho.

What about Western Montana Mineral County area?

1. Elk-lots of elk
2. Mountains-Rangng to 7000'
3. Mule deer if possible-tons, have shot some awesome deer
4. Public land 90% of the county is public land
5. Tag status general area Special Units if not a 10 year wait 50% draw on a good mule deer unit (1/2 of the county) OTC the other half. Plus some big whitetails.
6. I have the log home for you already! You just have to pay me for it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back