Ideas for a antelope, deer and elk rifle for wife and daughter.

Take your wife to a gun store and let her see which one she likes the best. My wife picked between the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact, Browning Micro Midas, and Weatherby Camilla as well as several non-female/youth models. She like the Winchester the best. 7mmHT

I was asked via pm why I didn't recommend the Blaser

The Blaser would work, but it is too much money for a first time rifle that will hunt antelope and maybe elk once a year-- IMHO

But yes they do make a rifle for women, as does Rigby ( Highland Ladies Stalker ) but I will stick with my first recommendation, a Weatherby Camilla 7mm-08. If his wife catches the hunting and rifle bug, they could consider the Blaser when she gives her Camilla to their daughter.

But you guys love spending other peoples money --so by all means you guys recommend the Blaser ( or the Rigby ) to him ;)

I am starting to shop around for a rifle that would fit my wife and eventually my daughter for all around hunting. Hoping sometime soon I can get the wife out west as she wants to take a antelope. However I do see the want that someday they all would want to accompany me on an elk hunt. I was looking at 26 nosler for them but it seems like Browning is starting to phase that out of their line (I like Brownings).
Thank you
What did you decide to get ?

I also like the idea of the Camilla in the 7mm-08, That would be a great rifle for her, then your daughter and then your granddaughter;)

:love:, yeah David, one of those calibers should work. Seriously, the 7x 57 is another one that would work for sure, and if you like that caliber it would give you a reason to buy an R-8.

I would like to have a Blaser with three barrels and the 7 x 57 would be one of them. With Christmas just around the corner, I need to make sure my husband see's this;)

We have 3- 7mm-08s in the family so that should be an indicator of what I think of them. But, if I were to buy another gun for my wife today it'd probably be a 6.5prc or 280AI

What did you decide to get ?

I also like the idea of the Camilla in the 7mm-08, That would be a great rifle for her, then your daughter and then your granddaughter;)

:love:, yeah David, one of those calibers should work. Seriously, the 7x 57 is another one that would work for sure, and if you like that caliber it would give you a reason to buy an R-8.

I would like to have a Blaser with three barrels and the 7 x 57 would be one of them. With Christmas just around the corner, I need to make sure my husband see's this;)
Have not made the decision yet. Just soaking in all the ideas for the day we get to go to the shop!
Thank you all.

Unfortunately, Nosler's very first proprietary cartridge, the 26 Nosler is losing steam and the second incarnation, the 28 Nosler has become the shining star, leaving the Nosler family of cartridges at home. It's a great round too, but the demand for the 28 is too much. Anyways, as others have suggested, the 7mm-08, 270 Win, 308 Win, 7RM, & 30-06, plus many more, would all be suitable for your needs with equal to or less recoil than the 26 Nosler. Good luck with whatever you choose!

My favorite cartridge is actually a poor choice for your application, so I gotta go with what the numbers tell me. 7mm-08 sounds perfect. They'll appreciate the short action over the .270, and it seems better suited towards some of the bigger badder stuff than 6.5 Screedmoor.

You guys are making me feel bad. Saw a deal on a 7mm-08 for my daughter, but went with the .308 instead. She's a big girl though.

I am starting to shop around for a rifle that would fit my wife and eventually my daughter for all around hunting. Hoping sometime soon I can get the wife out west as she wants to take a antelope. However I do see the want that someday they all would want to accompany me on an elk hunt. I was looking at 26 nosler for them but it seems like Browning is starting to phase that out of their line (I like Brownings).
Thank you

The versatility of the venerable .30-06 is no slouch with the right load and "NUT" behind the trigger, just saying. :cool:

Another option is to put together (an excellent DIY project for the family) a semi-custom together for under a grand depending on your component choices, i.e., Savage action or Remage, prefit-barrels, stock, etc ...

I have a .270 AI with 30" barrel and .264 WM with 26" on Savage actions. Both are shooters and all under $1K—just an option for your consideration.

I am currently in parts acquisition to build a .300 PRC short barrel suppressed; it will be a bit over the above cost estimate.
- Savage LA with accutrigger, recoil lug, barrel nut = $350
- Oryx chassis = $399
- MDT 5-round mag = $80
- X-caliber prefit barrel, configured as I want it and muzzle threaded 5/8-24 = $420

I envy you; I have been trying to convince my wife to hunt with me for early 40 years esp. now that both my sons (now 30 and 32 YO) are on their own but to no avail.

Good luck!

Ed

. 308 is my suggestion. I don't have a 7mm08 but that may very well be my next purchase.

My wife shoots 7mm08 out of a tc venture

She tried a bunch and that felt best

Shes taken several pronghorn, mulie bucks pushing 300 pounds and now a cow elk

My 4' 11 and 3/4" (god forbid I forget that three quarters...) wife has a Mossberg Patriot Super Bantam in 6.5cm.
As we spend more time out West I wish that I had ordered it in 7mm-08.
Otherwise ita perfect

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back