Ideas for a antelope, deer and elk rifle for wife and daughter.

Badger_55

I am starting to shop around for a rifle that would fit my wife and eventually my daughter for all around hunting. Hoping sometime soon I can get the wife out west as she wants to take a antelope. However I do see the want that someday they all would want to accompany me on an elk hunt. I was looking at 26 nosler for them but it seems like Browning is starting to phase that out of their line (I like Brownings).
Thank you

If you are looking at the 26 Nosler and can't find a Browning, and want a Browning maybe look at the 6.5PRC. Otherwise maybe a 7mm-08. If 26 Nosler is a good want and no new ones are available check out used firearms. If you decide on another brand that could open up more 26 Nosler options for you.

I am starting to shop around for a rifle that would fit my wife and eventually my daughter for all around hunting. Hoping sometime soon I can get the wife out west as she wants to take a antelope. However I do see the want that someday they all would want to accompany me on an elk hunt. I was looking at 26 nosler for them but it seems like Browning is starting to phase that out of their line (I like Brownings).
Thank you

Sir, I would respectfully suggest a 7mm-08 Weatherby Camilla . I bought one for my granddaughter and she has successfully taken elk, deer ( both mule and coues ) in the States and Ibex in Spain with it. I am sure you know this, but the Camilla is made for women and it fits her very well. Since this rifle will be for your wife and daughter, possibly besides the caliber you might also think about getting them a rifle manufactured for them. There are other rifle manufacturers who make rifles for females and the Camilla is available in other calibers if the 7mm-08 doesn't work for you or her. Just a thought

Love that the females in your family will be hunting with you

p.s. recoil on the 7mm-08 will be a bit easier for her to handle than the recoil of the 26 Nosler. maybe your wife is not recoil sensitive but your plan is to hand it down to your daughter and she might be---again, just a thought

Last edited:
X-bolt micro midas in 7mm or 6.5 CM. 6.5 PRC would be cool but a little harder to find ammo. All of those calibers have light recoil and have great ballistics.

I'd give a vote for the 7mm-08 also. I do shoot a 300wsm and love it.
Remember females are usually lighter in stature, that means sometimes recoil affects us less than men with more muscle, our bodies give a little more with the shot. Some larger calibers might work just fine for them.
I'm not familiar with the Nosler calibers so much but the ballistics look great for the calibers, flat shooting with great energy.

See the weatherby Camilla already mentioned. I’ll give that a second vote. I bought my wife one in a 6.5 creedmoor. She’s 5’ tall wearing her boots and it fit her perfectly. Every woman that has looked at it and shot it, absolutely loved the way it felt. Designed by women to fit their anatomy.

Thank you
I have a Browning X- Bolt Pro in .28 Nosler. It would be a bit much for them in my opinion. But the gun is awesome. Its shoots and 3/4"groups. I am a very firm believer the Nosler rounds. I have two of them. Both perform exactly like advertised.

Sir, I would respectfully suggest a 7mm-08 Weatherby Camilla . I bought one for my granddaughter and she has successfully taken elk, deer ( both mule and coues ) in the States and Ibex in Spain with it. I am sure you know this, but the Camilla is made for women and it fits her very well. Since this rifle will be for your wife and daughter, possibly besides the caliber you might also think about getting them a rifle manufactured for them. There are other rifle manufacturers who make rifles for females and the Camilla is available in other calibers if the 7mm-08 doesn't work for you or her. Just a thought

Love that the females in your family will be hunting with you

p.s. recoil on the 7mm-08 will be a bit easier for her to handle than the recoil of the 26 Nosler. maybe your wife is not recoil sensitive but your plan is to hand it down to your daughter and she might be---again, just a thought

This is exactly what I bought for my wife, though she hasn’t shot it yet.

Let’s be honest though. I plan on using it too 😁

My wife and daughters have a few rifles and calibers to pick from, but her is their favorites
Wife: Weatherby MKV Camilla ULW 270
Oldest: Savage 111 lady hunter 270
Middle: Savage 110 270 in a Boyd's at-one stock
Youngest: Mossberg patriot bantam 7mm-08 w/reduced recoil rounds

The hardest part for me is watching them at the range to make sure the rifle fits them correctly. I was watching to make sure their eyes lined up in the scope with proper cheek weld when they first mount the rifle while making sure the length of pull and overall size/weight was good for them. The Camilla and Lady hunter stocks seem to address most of those issues. They were all having issues with that Savage 110 until I put it in the Boyd's stock. They could shoot it but weren't getting into the scope as quickly as they can with the at-one stock with the cheek piece raised some. I'm not a huge fan of the stick on cheek pads but they will work

Honorable mentions
Weatherby Camilla Vanguard 7mm-08 - Nice rifle that only takes a back seat to the MKV
Remington model 7 308 - Probably the most recoil
Remington 7400 243 - Heavy overall but light recoil
AR 6.8spc - Light, compact but more complex manual of arms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back