Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho Wolves

tjones

Maybe we will be next

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Federal wildlife officials have signaled their preliminary approval for Idaho's petition to kill up to 60 endangered gray wolves from packs that have been preying heavily on big game herds in the upper Clearwater River Basin.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published a draft environmental review Thursday in which it proposed to approve a wolf hunt plan in the Lolo zone that had been submitted last August by Idaho Fish and Game. A similar petition from Montana — to remove 12 wolves in the Bitterroot Range — remains pending.
Wolves in the Northern Rockies are listed as an endangered species under a federal court order, but state and federal officials have been looking for ways to curb their population.
The Idaho and Montana hunt proposals stem from a 2008 rule change by the Fish and Wildlife Service that allows states to remove wolves if they are harming deer or elk herds. Federal officials must sign off on the any proposed hunts following a scientific review.
The rule is under a court challenge by wildlife advocates. A hearing in the case is set for next month in Missoula, before U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials stressed Thursday that a final decision on Idaho's plan has not been made. But the federal agency's Idaho supervisor, Brian Kelly said state officials "seem to have provided pretty good data that wolves are a factor" behind declining elk populations in an area known as the Lolo zone.
"They've tried more liberal hunting seasons on other predators like black bears and mountain lions. They've tried habitat improvements, changes in the hunting framework for elk — and they're still not seeing a response" in terms of elk numbers rebounding, Kelly said.
The environmental review published Thursday opens a 30-day comment period. Kelly said it could be weeks or months before a decision is made.
Officials in Wyoming also want to reduce wolf numbers in their state, but only Montana and Idaho have federally approved management plans for the species.
Wolves across most of the Northern Rockies are considered an "experimental, non-essential" population because they were reintroduced in the mid-1990s instead of naturally colonizing the area.
That designation gives federal officials wider latitude to kill wolves that cause problems, and also allows livestock owners to kill wolves when their animals come under attack.

I can see MT lining up a hunt like this for the Gallatin and Upper Yellowstone herds. Looks like Idaho gets the privlege of plowing the legal ground on this new hunt. I believe this will be the first hunt ever, for anything, under 10(j) of the ESA.

Go get 'em boys. Watch the fur fly on this one. We will see weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth by Dependers on Wildlife, the Center for Biologicial Dilusionary, and the many other snivelers.

Lawyers will for sure get some revenue on this one.

Fin the application for the 10(j) in the Bitterroot has all ready been submitted by FWP to the USFWS. 33 page document and well done. If was about 2 months behind Idaho, so hopefully we are up next.

Lawyers will for sure get some revenue on this one.

That's all they want out of the deal anyways. It's a win-win right? We get to reduce the numbers a little and they get some more lawsuits. That's all they are really after...it's not the wolves they really care about. Lawyers might as be wolves themselves.

Interesting decision, hopefully it doesn't get just tied up in court for years.

Fin the application for the 10(j) in the Bitterroot has all ready been submitted by FWP to the USFWS. 33 page document and well done. If was about 2 months behind Idaho, so hopefully we are up next.

I hope you get it TJ.

You are spot on Buzz.
They are singularily responsible for ALL of the present turkey populations in Utah as well.
WD

Still have my 2009 tag in my wallet just to prove that it was actually open that year. Won a couple of beverages off it and a couple of dirty comments from the other side since then.

My father-inlaw lives in the bitteroot, and he said way back when they started talking about the reitroduction, that all this would happen. He says there was a reason the ranchers spent almost a hundred years wiping them out in the first place.

My father-inlaw lives in the bitteroot, and he said way back when they started talking about the reitroduction, that all this would happen. He says there was a reason the ranchers spent almost a hundred years wiping them out in the first place.

Yupper. Mide 20's early 30's my grandfather and his brother were sheep ranchers (Baaaa). They would come and grab the lambs before they could get them into the sheds. Some of their herders did pretty well by taking care of the problem when they were paid a bounty of top of wages.

There was a time, when all lions,Griz, wolf, coyotes, magpie, golden, and bald eagles, and Hawks, were killed for bounty. I don't think that we have regressed back to that time. I'd hope we are smarter than our Grandparents, and are capable of managing all wildlife resources.

There was a time, when all lions,Griz, wolf, coyotes, magpie, golden, and bald eagles, and Hawks, were killed for bounty. I don't think that we have regressed back to that time. I'd hope we are smarter than our Grandparents, and are capable of managing all wildlife resources.

Hippy. :D

Root should be next in line.

We've been pushing FWP to go aggressive on a 4D hunt and a 10J for the Gallatin.

I bought a tag in 09 and another the start of last year if they sell another one I will buy it. They are seeing them right off the highway and we have had some reports from in town. I probably wouldn't go out just after one but if the opportunity presented itself I would fill a tag if I could get another one.

I wonder how they`re going to structure the hunt.
I`d be game to pick up a tag and give it a go.

I don't think they can sell tags. If I remember right, there will be a drawing for perspective hunters, and you act as a agent for the state. Not 100% sure on that though. I spend a lot of time in hd 250, and know right where to go. It's not rocket science though. Wolves leave lots of tracks. Sure wish I could trap them.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back