Idaho unit 36B mountain goat

yellowlab

Checked out the Idaho draw results today....I actually drew a goat tag in unit 36B:D
I've got a lot of work to do now. I haven't hunted goats before. I've been reading all I can find about them, judging, sexing, etc. Love to do this hunt DIY but haven't been to that unit yet.
I know that the odds of finding a previous tag holder is slim but thought is worth a try? Possibly someone with some elk or deer experience there can get me a starting point.

I don't have any info specific for that unit, but have helped a buddy with a mtn goat tag in that part of the state. I'd start my map work by looking for all the tallest rockiest peaks and then look out how best to get to them. I helped him scout one area in July and helped him get his billy in a different part of the unit in November. Great times in some crazy cool country.

Sexing them is relatively easy, if you have a nanny and billy standing side by side... ;)

Congrats on the tag!

This seems to be the year of the mountain goat for the Hunt Talker crowd. I think there are now 6 goat tag holders who've posted on the forum so far. TBone and LopeHunter in Colorado, Gweb85, canuk77, and you in Idaho and I have a Wyoming tag. And Montana hasn't even drawn yet and usually there are 2 or 3 folks on the forum from Montana who end up with a tag.

No idea on that part of the country, but 1_pointer nailed it I bet. Think "cliff goats" and you will find where they hand out pretty quick. From my understanding it's not a matter of finding where the goats are generally, it's getting to where they are and finding one that isn't on a sheer cliff so you can shoot it and retrieve it.

I've been doing a lot of research on goat hunting in general as well as my unit in Wyoming. Lots of good information on the forums and with it being a once in a lifetime tag in most states folks who've had the tag in past are generally very helpful.

Google search can be your friend trying to find them.

Good luck! Nathan

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've ordered the Forest Service maps and have been flying through on Google earth. I've heard the same thing as npaden said about finding one in a recoverable location. I need to get a few things in order before I can get a scouting trip together. I think I can get out there in July.

1_pointer: When you scouting in July were the goats in the same areas when you hunted them later in the season? Anybody else have any guidance on whether they are territorial or do they have big seasonal movements?

Not sure as I didn't hunt with him in the part of the unit we scouted together. When I went with him he was well past plan B...

That said, I do know they found goats on the same moutain we found them in July. How close to the original sighting I can't say.

A scouting trip in July will work fine. They'll be in the same area come September/Oct. They are easy to spot, easy to smell, and easy to find sign (tracks, scat, and shed hair).

I've heard the billies travel during the rut, but can't verify that.

In my experience of one, they can really stay on their feet when hit. Recovery is my number one concern this year with an archery tag in my pocket.

Wish I had the courage to gamble a once in a lifetime tag on my bow. That's going to be a well earned trophy T bone. Good luck!

Scouting pics

Put some time in the unit in early August. Looked at some beautiful country and found some goats too. My digiscoping skills need some practice. I got more out of focus pics than good ones. If I figure out how to downsize a good image file I'll post it later.

Going back to hunt the end of September. Time is short, anticipation is high.

Back