Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Unit 27-2 Bighorn Sheep

Definitely something to consider when applying for Wilderness hunts in Idaho. I don't remember a year there wasn't a big fire in the Frank Church. As you all know the government just lets them burn until the snow flies!

I've cooled down a little now. I guess I just think differently. Fish and Game expects a certain amount of animals killed in a hunt. If that number is not reached or in this case none are harvested what would be wrong with saying, "Something out of control of anyone happened and that harvest will not occur now, give them another week." You expected a certain number killed anyway and that will take the same number of hunters out of the draw improving draw odds for the next guy. That's the way I would think anyway.

I am pretty darn sure that they have extended the season in that unit in the past for fires. Pard's pard shot a GOOD ram right off the river on a date that I think is usually after the season there closes.

1_pointer. Well I WAS cooled down... HA HA HA! I guess they just didn't want to this year.

Good news is that is one of the few units where you have a good chance to draw the same tag again.

I am pretty darn sure that they have extended the season in that unit in the past for fires. Pard's pard shot a GOOD ram right off the river on a date that I think is usually after the season there closes.

Yes, you are correct they have extended the season in the past. I know 2 brothers that both harvested on the extension dates.

If I remember correctly, Fish and Game made that decision before the season even started. They ended up just starting the season mid October!

Hmmm... That's good to know. Well excuse me while I go smash my balls flat with a wooden mallet. LOL. Oh well.

Last edited:
Not sure what your hangup is with the extended season in a prior year. According to your writeup you made the choice not to hunt the last 8 days of your season so would an extension really have changed anything? Dont dwell on it man. You had fun. Just wait it out and apply again - for somewhere else perhaps.

We did go back in for the last 3 days when our schedule opened up. But saw nothing and felt no need to update.

Couldn't draw in Washington with 12 points But drew in Idaho on my first try. Who'd a guessed it. Please don't hate me. I have seen several postings for hunts in the "Crags" but I haven't seen any that specified unit 27-2. I would love to receive any info or comments from anyone that knows about this unit especially if someone has hunted it before. Or maybe knows someone that has hunted it. Or knows someone that drew this year also. It looks like access can be from a trail at the top coming from the crags camp ground or by floating the middle fork of the salmon river to its mouth. My first choice is from the trail as I have no raft. I feel like the Sheep should be up high early in the season but not sure.

Thanks
Gene
I hunted Unit 27-2 with a friend a few years ago, and both he and I drew tags for this year. Did you learn anything that might be helpful to us for this year? Thanks

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back