Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Unit 27-2 Bighorn Sheep

I've had this problem before. I log in, try to type a long post or reply and before I'm done my log in expires or something. When I go to re log in my post disappears. Is there a way to re log in and keep what I'm trying to post?

Happens to me too. If I know I'm going to have a long post I'll either copy the post (CTRL+C) before I submit reply or type it up in Word before hand. That way after I get logged out I can just paste the reply quickly after I log back in.

Type it in word then copy it. Your post has to be shorter than 120000 characters. If it is just continue it in another post. Can't wait to see if you got your ram!

Nice story! Sounds like you stayed "busy". The wife and I have been down that road, and we've stopped in at the MT Saddle ourselves. Very cool little place. Those "hills" sure look pretty tough to hunt.

Found a pic!

110_zpsjgl4kuwe.jpg

Should someone check on Idaho Predator Control 1? Is he alive? Did the sheep bug drive him crazy and he ran off into the night?

Story please!

Did Idaho Predator control succumb to sheep fever? Anyone heard from him?

Did Idaho Predator control succumb to sheep fever? Anyone heard from him?

Woofs ate him. He tried to get to the mini-van, but the Canadian Super Woofs would not be denied. :)

Last edited:
They did have a tough year. Killed at least one on that side during the late hunt though.

Being upset with IDFG over not killing a ram seems like a waste of your energy to me. You hunted one of the toughest open units for sheep out there and had a great experience. The logistics of those hunts are as tough as the terrain and that includes environmental factors such as fire. I believe you are fortunate to have had the opportunity AND you can do it again in the future if you draw. I understand the frustration though.

I talked to another sheep hunter who drew a California bighorn tag in an area that torched. He feels the same. It's crappy luck drawing a hard to draw tag in a unit that burns and everything run away. Even when you find an unburned area everything you scouted has moved away. We compared it to getting a really good deal on some Ocean front property in Montana.... Just when you feel lucky reality sets in.

Here is the Inciweb. From part of it. The other tag holder was from the Owyhee area.

Incident: Middle Fork Complex Fires Wildfire
Released: 9/4/2015
The Middle Fork Complex, managed by the USDA Forest Service, Salmon-*‐Challis National Forest, is comprised of the lightning caused Waterfall, Stoddard, Roaring, Harbor, and Alpine fires. Dates of Detection and Current Size: Waterfall: August 11th 4006 acres Stoddard: August 12th 884 acres Roaring: August 5th 301 acres Harbor: August 16th 8 acres Alpine: August 13th 1/10 acre Location: Frank Church – River of No Return Wilderness; North Fork Ranger District, about 40 air miles West of Salmon, ID. Waterfall: Is burning in open timber and grass and is located east of the Middle Fork Salmon River, North of Waterfall Creek Stoddard: Is burning in open timber and grass and is located west of the Middle Fork Salmon River, North of Cradle Creek Roaring: Is burning in open timber spreading into subalpine fire and white bark pine and is located in the Big Horn Crags Harbor: Is burning in open timber and is located adjacent to Harbor Lake Alpine: Is burning in open timber and is located on the north side of Wilson Creek drainage. Today, fire activity was minimal across the Middle Fork Complex. Temperatures have dropped and precipitation has occurred. The weekend weather forecast includes a continuation of lower temperatures and the possibility of rain. The Teton Wildland Fire Module, has departed from the Middle Fork Complex Fires. They have completed their assignment and will be heading somewhere warm and dry for the evening. The two firefighters, formerly staffing the Crags Campground, will be replaced by two new Forest Service Employees, to continue providing information to the public. Speaking with three firefighters, previously staffing the Waterfall Fire, claimed fire activity was minimal. Light precipitation occurred on the fire yesterday and increased precipitation took place today. They noted, the northeast edge of the fire was adjacent to continuous fuel, and warm days and high winds, could result in new fire growth.
The Middle Fork Complex staff will continue to observe and monitor the resulting moisture in the weather forecast. The moisture could result in the possibility of reopening the trails. The decision will be made early next week.
Trail Closures for the Salmon-*‐Challis National Forest include: · South Fork Waterfall Trail (#6019) beginning at the junction with Waterfall Trail (#6045) to its end. · Waterfall Trail (#6045) Beginning at the junction with Middle Fork River Trail (#6044) to the confluence of the trail and the outlet of Terrace Lakes (where trail crosses headwaters of Waterfall Creek · Stoddard Lake Trail (#6140) beginning at Stoddard Creek Point at the junction with Stoddard Trail (#6169) to its junction with Forest Trail #6168 · Stoddard Trail (#6169) beginning at the confluence of the Middle Fork of the Salmon River and the Salmon River, to its end at the junction with Forest Trail #6168 · Mirror Lake Trail (#6022) beginning at the junction with trail #6025 to Elkhorn Trail #025 · Harbor Lake Trail (#6144) from #6045 Waterfall Trail to #6021 Big Horn Crags Trail. · Crags Trail (#6021) beginning at Big Clear Lake to Roaring Creek Lake. Know before you go! Always check with your local Ranger Station prior to your trip to get the most up to date information on current fire activity, closures, fire danger, and fire restrictions for the area. Further information on the Middle Fork Complex can be found at: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4485/

What didn't burn was the north end where i spent some time. I was not surprised to see the Sheep I scouted had moved out of the smoke over the ridge into the panther creek unit. Critters are not stupid, They learn to avoid fire at all costs and vacate. When we went into the crags we didn't even see so much as a squirrel. I didn't see anything but a few ewes and lambs in the north end and that was the last few days of the season.

Interagency fire video. Mind you this was after we got a little precipitation and the fire was knocked down a touch so the smoke cleared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUvJUznlT9w&feature=youtu.be

Shit happens. I've had three bighorn tags in Idaho. All three units caught fire that year.

Back