Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Lion Hunting?

IdahoRob

I'm looking to do a lion hunt this winter and wondering if anyone has a recommendation on someone to contact? I'm in the Boise area and don't really want to do a full 7-10 day hunt, but I'm available any day(s) if conditions are right.

I accompanied dogs before on a couple hunts and have hunted them without dogs when I wintered in in the Frank Church, but I'm still very ignorant on lion huniting. Not sure if there are guys with dogs that like to run and would like company/help/etc. or if a guided hunt is best.

Thank you for your input.

Is this the same IdahoRob who was dragging the mean dmax I beat about four years ago? Just kidding... This is gonna be a pretty tough year for cat hunting. If I was going to pay a guide I think I would wait until next year. I am not an expert houndsman but I have friends who are and they are very disappointed with the lack of snow.

IdahoRob

I did my cat hunt with Joe Cabral, Russell Pond Outfitters, over Christmas. Personally, cats appeared to be my nemesis until this year. My good buddy and I both shot 8'+ B&C toms. Both cats were shot in the St. Joe. I can't speak for what arraignments he would make but I'd give him a call. 208 245 2458

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Mine 2011
f8b54200.jpg

Buddies 2009
Brian_Cat2.jpg

Nice cats!!Something on my list to do soon.I dog hunted bobcats here in Pa,and it was awesome.Think I'm ready to step up in cat size

That should say, Up to your neck. Dang typos!

We got what it meant..... both ways ;)

Yes, nice Putty 'tats fo sho !!!!

Guides and money are the way to go. Those of us with friends with Hounds are waiting ourselves to shoot a cat. ;)

So will you take me next winter? :D I'll be as friendly as I need too... :eek::hump:

LOL Sure!

I'm not in the category of those with hounds (yet!!) but rather the category of those with friends who have hounds. I have been cat hunting with the same group of guys for something like 8 or 9 years now. Maybe I just got lucky and met the right guys but they are very passionate and love to take first timers. When I first expressed an interest in getting a cat they told me they would have no problem helping as long as I put in some time and hard work myself. They are very used to seeing guys that talk big but don't follow through, guys that expect to have thier hands held. Long story short I hunted my butt off for 12 days before finding a good track my first year and took a nice tom. Those guys saw that I was working for it and I became OK in their books. Since then my wife has taken a cat over there dogs, I put one in P&Y, and I have taken quite a few first timers myself now. Like I said maybe I just got lucky but there's got to be some willing houndsmen around in ID?

Last edited:
Mtlion, you truly misunderstood me. The hounds mens are MORE THAN willing to take out first time hunters, anyone that wants to go have fun, etc.. What I was saying is guys like me with friends that hunt won't be giving up the names of their friends because we want to go out with them when they go. I was trying to make <ME> look like the prick. Which usually isn't hard ;)

There are a lot of Hounds men in Idaho. Every year more and more. Most know each other. They know who hunts hard and who is new. Usually the ones with the newer trucks and fancy cloths ;)

Hounds men... the true ones, are a cut beyond others. I love getting out and wish I could more....

Getting a houndsmen to take you out seems to be the easy part treeing a cat that they will actually let you shoot now that's a different story. A picky bunch they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back