Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho High Country Mule Deer

CampRipleyLF

I'm hoping to get some solid advice on what units or areas should i be looking in Idaho for high country mule deer. I'm not really looking to steal someones spot, just a point in the general direction where i can find a high success rate and decent bucks for an archery hunt in the high country. I'd like to back pack into an area that doesn't get over run by numerous people, just some solitude with a big old mulie. Thanks!

Plenty of units with what your after, except the success rate part. The success rates for any archery hunts are way low. That doesn't mean the hunting isn't good. Seeing good bucks and arrowing them are 2 different things. Plenty of deer around though. The IDFG website is extremely helpful.

What areas have you narrowed down your search to?

I used to guide in the south east, there was enough country for me to get away into reasonably remote terrain away from trails, and roads to find decent deer for hunters, but i think you should have no trouble finding what your after if do some research.

Be sure to let us all know on here how you go with your hunt plans and certainly give some information back so others can learn.

Plenty of people ask first without offering to help others, i tend to appreciate the guys that actually do things the other way round, strangely enough, i have seen very few of them on any forum. Guess taking was taught before giving.

Good luck.

I've done some research and have narrowed it down to either the Sawtooth or Frank Church Wilderness. I'm looking to do an early bow hunt, I plan to get out two or three days before the season to get into the back country and to do a little glassing. I hope to hunt a zone that has low hunting pressure, difficult to access, and contains a "summer range", aka higher altitudes. I'm thinking GMU 21, 34, 35, and 36, only because they fall into the general archery season. I've also been thinking about 20A, 26, and 27, but I'm kind of shying away from that because it will cut into my Minnesota hunt. If it is worth hunting one of those three zones over the others then I may consider it. If you have any information on these zone, please inform me. Not looking for anybodies secret spots, just a general clue if these areas are worth hunting for an early archery hunt. Thanks in advance!!!!

I'm thinking GMU 21, 34, 35, and 36, only because they fall into the general archery season. I've also been thinking about 20A, 26,

I've hunted 20A and 26 a couple times for elk. We only saw one deer total. He was a good 150" 4 pt tho. There are other guys on here that have more experience in those units. I would reccomend the sawtooths though. This was the first season we have really spent much time in there looking for deer instead of elk and I was surprised. Saw 10-20 deer a day and 2-3 would be decent bucks. The sawtooths are Not known for deer quantity or quality typically. We didn't see a boot track during 10 days or so of hunting. This was only 1-3 miles straight up off of highway 21. Really neat areas to spend time in as well.

I would reccomend the sawtooths though. This was the first season we have really spent much time in there looking for deer instead of elk and I was surprised. Saw 10-20 deer a day and 2-3 would be decent bucks. The sawtooths are Not known for deer quantity or quality typically. We didn't see a boot track during 10 days or so of hunting. This was only 1-3 miles straight up off of highway 21. Really neat areas to spend time in as well.

Can you let me know what portion of the Sawtooth; the north, east, south, or west? GMU 39 looks to be a draw, so i'd like to avoid it because i'm not likely to get a tag.

Western areas, find spots a few miles off the highway. Research units 34, 35 and 36. 39 is a draw for the early rifle tag, but the odds are like 30% I think. IMO that hunt isn't worth the odds. Very low deer numbers that early in the season makes it hard to stay motivated. Big bucks come out of there each year but not very many relative to the size of that unit.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back