Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Archery Hunting Desert Mule Deer

2rocky

One of my potential Archery tags has a Mountain range with a 7500 ft high point. E scouting has shown some aspen groves. How would you approach scouting this area? Looking from the Northeast. Wondering how you get up in this country without blowing all the deer out.

1686341086112.png

Here is the Chat GPT response for your entertainment.

When scouting a mountainous area for archery hunting desert mule deer, it's important to approach it strategically to avoid disturbing the deer population. Here's an approach you can consider:

1. Map Study: Begin by studying maps of the area to familiarize yourself with the terrain, topography, and potential deer habitats. Look for water sources, feeding areas, bedding grounds, and travel routes. Pay particular attention to the aspen groves you mentioned.

2. E-Scouting: Use online mapping tools or satellite imagery to get a virtual view of the area. Look for features that could attract deer, such as pockets of vegetation, vegetation transitions, or secluded spots.

3. Identify Access Points: From your e-scouting, determine potential access points to enter the area. Look for trails, ridges, or other routes that allow you to approach from the northeast while minimizing disturbance to the deer.

4. Use Stealthy Approaches: While accessing the hunting area, employ stealthy techniques to avoid alerting the deer. Move slowly, stay downwind, and minimize noise. Consider using camouflage clothing and scent control methods.

5. Observation: Once you reach the hunting area, find a concealed vantage point where you can observe without being detected. Use binoculars or spotting scopes to survey the landscape and identify deer movement patterns, bedding areas, or feeding locations. Note any signs of deer activity, such as tracks or droppings.

6. Minimal Intrusion: While scouting, strive to minimize your presence. Avoid excessive noise, keep a respectful distance from bedding areas, and refrain from leaving any obvious signs of human presence, such as litter or disturbed vegetation.

7. Trail Cameras: Consider using trail cameras strategically to monitor deer activity. Place them near water sources, feeding areas, or game trails. This can provide valuable insights into deer movement patterns and help you determine the best locations for your hunt.

8. Scouting Trips: If possible, make multiple scouting trips to the area at different times of the day or season to gather a comprehensive understanding of deer behavior and habitat usage.

Remember, scouting is an ongoing process, and conditions can change over time. By being thorough, patient, and respectful of the deer's environment, you increase your chances of a successful archery hunt for desert mule deer in the mountainous region you described.

Thats a tough spot to get into. Personally, i would come in from the north or south and and traverse the ridgleine at least a hour before light. Set up off the skyline on the center knob and glass the ravines leading to water sources. I would also wait until dark to leave. Desert archery mule deer is a blast, but patience is always the way. I dont even try a stalk unless everything lines up perfectly. If youre just scouting before season, some deer my be blown out of there, but they'll make their way back after a few days. Good thing about desert hunting, you can see for miles. And that velvet tends to stand out. I hope you get the tag.

Thats a tough spot to get into. Personally, i would come in from the north or south and and traverse the ridgleine at least a hour before light. Set up off the skyline on the center knob and glass the ravines leading to water sources. I would also wait until dark to leave. Desert archery mule deer is a blast, but patience is always the way. I dont even try a stalk unless everything lines up perfectly. If youre just scouting before season, some deer my be blown out of there, but they'll make their way back after a few days. Good thing about desert hunting, you can see for miles. And that velvet tends to stand out. I hope you get the tag.
Great advice. If just scouting, bumping them once isn’t going to be a big deal

Back