Caribou Gear

Idaho hates NRs.

Looks like the future residents are coming out of the woodwork. Which would you rather have ID? An easterner first a week or for the next twenty years? If he moves there he’s gonna need a place to live and grocery store too.

I buy the Idaho Sportsman package for $124.25

RESIDENTS ONLY - The Sportsman's Package includes all rights and privileges associated with a Resident Adult Combination License plus tags for deer, elk, bear, mountain lion, wolf, turkey, salmon and steelhead. Archery and muzzleloader are validated on the license.
That's a sweet deal! I just spent $126 in South Carolina for Combination license, 1 bear tag, 5 deer tags, 3 turkey tags, state waterfowl stamp, and federal waterfowl stamp.

The price of the tag is only a fraction of the cost of a hunt. An out of state hunt is the definition of a discretionary expense.
Have to strongly disagree with you there for the diy hunter. Sure all my gear is expensive but when I head out for a week trip out west, the 300 dollars in gas is less than half of the 800 dollar elk tag. I have no other expenses on my trips as a diy backpack hunter.

Idaho just getting on par with its neighbors but that doesn't necessarily mean it's smart for doing so. Its sad how expensive it is to hunt elk as a NR out west. If you can't hunt in your home state, it's not an easy decision for most to pay for that kind of tag cost when success rates are often 10 to 30 percent. My wife and I are very blessed with very good paying jobs that allow us to not have to worry about tag costs. In fact, we spent 5 figures last year for the first time on western big game draws. To us it's worth it and consider it a donation to valuable cause rather than give that money to the red cross or something. However, it really sadens us when we get my dad or her dad or either of our brothers all hyped up about coming along on a trip and then when we tell them it's going to cost 800 for a tag with a low chance of returned with meat, they laugh and say forget that.

I want to make one more point: if the future hope of hunting continuing on for generations has the face of the meathunter (it's surely a huge trend over the last 5 or more years) we cannot continue to raise prices to a point beyond what the meat is actually worth. In wisconsin, I can spend 24 dollars and get a buck and doe tag. Success for me would be 100% even on public land here. That's 12 dollars per deer and with let's say an average boned out meat weight of 40 pounds, thats a whooping 0.30/lb. My Dad and brother use that argument for not joining me on an elk hunt yet and I can't really blame them when the 200 pounds of meat I get from an elk once every three years (33% Success rate being super generous here) is costing me $2400 (800 x 3 years) or $12/lb. A t-bone at the butcher sells for that and arguably tastes better

Have to strongly disagree with you there for the diy hunter. Sure all my gear is expensive but when I head out for a week trip out west, the 300 dollars in gas is less than half of the 800 dollar elk tag. I have no other expenses on my trips as a diy backpack hunter.

I don't know about you, but my hunting habit includes a 4x4 truck that costs many times more than your $800 elk tag. My guess is you own something similar.

Also, if you aren't spending anything while you are out west,,, why do you think that makes residents of the west happier to see you?

“Most notably, the costs for elk and deer hunting are going up dramatically, which are the two most profitable areas for Idaho Fish and Game. An elk tag for a nonresident hunter would cost $650. A fishing license would cost about $106.”
Those prices seem in line with many other states, way cheaper than MT.

The price of most things go up every year, the prices of hunting licenses go up every 10 years or so. The jump seems extreme, people say “no way, never gonna pay”, but soon realize It’s not as bad as not hunting at all.

This happened in MT a few years back, license sales dropped for a couple years, but now they’re back to selling out and then some.

I don't know about you, but my hunting habit includes a 4x4 truck that costs many times more than your $800 elk tag. My guess is you own something similar.

Also, if you aren't spending anything while you are out west,,, why do you think that makes residents of the west happier to see you?
The 4x4 truck example doesn't really make your point. I drive my 4x4 the entire year and put on 20k miles or so annually. The 2.5k miles for a western trip is only a small fraction of that. Especially because if I wasn't hunting out there, I'd be traveling around here 1 to 4 hours to hit some hunting spots. I don't disagree that the gear has a cost, quite expensive cost at that and you can through the truck milage in there. All of those gear costs though are multi year inventments and on a per annual basis that cost per year isn't that large. Especially if you aren't a gear snob.

You are right, I'm for sure the NR your state doesn't want to see. I stop at gas stations to fill up and unless something breaks down or I get a flat, I'm not spending a dime usually.

I want to make one more point: if the future hope of hunting continuing on for generations has the face of the meathunter (it's surely a huge trend over the last 5 or more years) we cannot continue to raise prices to a point beyond what the meat is actually worth. In wisconsin, I can spend 24 dollars and get a buck and doe tag. Success for me would be 100% even on public land here. That's 12 dollars per deer and with let's say an average boned out meat weight of 40 pounds, thats a whooping 0.30/lb. My Dad and brother use that argument for not joining me on an elk hunt yet and I can't really blame them when the 200 pounds of meat I get from an elk once every three years (33% Success rate being super generous here) is costing me $2400 (800 x 3 years) or $12/lb. A t-bone at the butcher sells for that and arguably tastes better

That's a very pragmatic way to look at things, but then again, sitting in a tree stand for 9 days can't really be compared to a hunt in the mountains, can it? You can minimize the experience of the total package, but you probably shouldn't. It's a significant factor in why a lot of us travel so far for such poor odds.

I've only been to Idaho once, but I fell in love with the place and I'll be back again in less than 2 months. Honestly, it doesn't bum me out to see the prices for non resident tags being raised because I know where the money is going. I'll pay the premium and be glad it's not as bad as Montana. It would be cool if the haters of out of state plates would soften their dirty looks though, but I don't think paying more into the states F&G budget is going to sway those opinions in the slightest. At least I'm not from California, eh?

Last edited:
Anyone thinking elk hunting can pay for itself with the value of the meat is never going to pass a CPA exam. Even as a resident, I know that I'm doing it for reasons far beyond the meat. Just getting my horses shod for the mountains can buy a lot of groceries.

And really,,, a state with sustainable elk hunting should make the non resident tags available for the comparable value in meat??

That's a very pragmatic way to look at things, but then again, sitting in a tree stand for 9 days can't really be compare to a hunt in the mountains, can it? You can minimize the experience of the total package, but you probably shouldn't. It's a significant factor in why a lot of us travel so far for such poor odds.

I've only been to Idaho once, but I fell in love with the place and I'll be back again in less than 2 months. Honestly, it doesn't bum me out to see the prices for non resident tags being raised because I know where the money is going. I'll pay the premium and be glad it's not as bad as Montana. It would be cool if the haters of out of state plates would soften their dirty looks though, but I don't think paying more into the states F&G budget is going to sway those opinions in the slightest. At least I'm not from California, eh?
Anyone thinking elk hunting can pay for itself with the value of the meat is never going to pass a CPA exam. Even as a resident, I know that I'm doing it for reasons far beyond the meat. Just getting my horses shod for the mountains can buy a lot of groceries.

And really,,, a state with sustainable elk hunting should make the non resident tags available for the comparable value in meat??
I'm just saying that if the argument of food is continued to be used for the basis of hunting, the cost to hunt can't take a king to do it. The cost of a lot of the tags out in the west really does make the animals the kings deer...

Just to be clear where I'm coming from with this point: I'm one of those kings as I can afford any tag price that exists out there.

I buy the Idaho Sportsman package for $124.25

RESIDENTS ONLY - The Sportsman's Package includes all rights and privileges associated with a Resident Adult Combination License plus tags for deer, elk, bear, mountain lion, wolf, turkey, salmon and steelhead. Archery and muzzleloader are validated on the license.
ANd you get a fancy sticker that can only be put next to the others on your freezer or gun safe.

Cheaper than a Walleye boat...

I'm just saying that if the argument of food is continued to be used for the basis of hunting, the cost to hunt can't take a king to do it. The cost of a lot of the tags out in the west really does make the animals the kings deer...

The argument of food is one of a myriad of reasons for hunting. Don't hamstring the idea as a whole just because you can't assign an objective value to the rest of them.

Now I don't object to nonresident hunters and fishermen at all. They spend their money here but they go back home when they are done and don't bring their stupid politics and way of thinking here and try to Californicate their new homes. LOL

It's interesting reading some of the posts from February about how a down turn in the economy could be an argument for not raising prices for non residents. Record unemployment has led to record numbers of visitors to public lands in Idaho and NR tags are sold out.

Competition for NR tags in Wyomng is leading to increase in license prices AND in anything in the tourist/hunting towns not a downturn at all. COVID does not seem to affect outdoor recreation, fishing or hunting in Wyoming one bit. Camping areas in developed sites are sold out nearly every weekend right now. Dispersed camping seems to be close to full.

Any commodity that sells out is likely under priced. Idahos NR tags have been gone in sixty seconds for multiple years now.

IDFG surveys us all annually and they seem to get the same answers every year. No NR tags, 200 inch deer and 400 inch elk in every unit. OTC everything, no ATV restrictions, bigger animals, more opportunity.

There has always been some aspect of the local guy in jeans and flannel shaking his head at the guy dressed in Sitka gear driving a SxS. I think many residents really have no idea of the contribution NR fees make to the IDFG budget.

Then there are the resident nitwits who want us to adopt the Utah mode. Most of them I picture in a SxS wearing Sitka gear.

1598202803187.jpeg

So, if all fees go through, the total cost for a deer tag, elk tag, and hunting license is going to run about $1,200 for Idaho.

For comparison, MT is +/- $1,100, WY is +/- $1,100, UT is +/- $1,350, AZ is +/- $1,300, CO is +/- $1,200, and NM is +/- $950 (I think). And all of that disregards any money spent on point in years prior.

Western hunting is just expensive for a NR. I hadn't thought much about how a recession might affect all of this before this thread, but it certainly seems like it would have an impact. If nothing else people start only chasing one species out of state each year rather than both deer and elk, let alone antelope, bear, etc.
For elk, the actual 2020 numbers were:

ID = $599
NM (S) = $622
WY (reg) = $737
OR = $746
CO = $759
AZ = $825
NM (Q/HD) = $847
ID 2021 elk = $872
UT = $875
MT = $934
WY (special) = $1317
NV = $1376

They just put themselves right in the middle so again I don't object the raise.

The question just becomes at which price does the tag make the elk the "kings deer". All of these prices are sure to go up over the next couple years. NM now is substantially lower than the rest for their lesser quality elk hunts (not OTC but probably comparable in experience). Wyoming, Oregon and Colorado are the next tier due for an increase. Sure these prices can continue to go up and very likely continue to sell out. But at what point do we need to stand our ground and say that it is unfair to the blue collar worker living in the Midwest that he can no longer dream of hunting out west for elk.

For elk, the actual 2020 numbers were:

ID = $599
NM (S) = $622
WY (reg) = $737
OR = $746
CO = $759
AZ = $825
NM (Q/HD) = $847
ID 2021 elk = $872
UT = $875
MT = $934
WY (special) = $1317
NV = $1376

They just put themselves right in the middle so again I don't object the raise.

The question just becomes at which price does the tag make the elk the "kings deer". All of these prices are sure to go up over the next couple years. NM now is substantially lower than the rest for their lesser quality elk hunts (not OTC but probably comparable in experience). Wyoming, Oregon and Colorado are the next tier due for an increase. Sure these prices can continue to go up and very likely continue to sell out. But at what point do we need to stand our ground and say that it is unfair to the blue collar worker living in the Midwest that he can no longer dream of hunting out west for elk.

You seem hell bent on hammering that phrase into a round hole, brother. The deer in question belong to the residents of Idaho, and Wisconsin's whitetail belong to you, Your Majesty. Don't get me wrong, I understand your point, but neither are obligated in any way to make sure non residents are able to fulfill their dream hunt. As with most things in life, it isn't fair and it never will be. Choose to stand your ground, but that ground is a damn long way from Idaho and your odds of influencing the state agency are considerably less than pulling a WI elk tag.

IDFG's mission statement:
All wildlife, including all wild animals, wild birds, and fish, within the state of Idaho, is hereby declared to be the property of the state of Idaho. It shall be preserved, protected, perpetuated, and managed. It shall be only captured or taken at such times or places, under such conditions, or by such means, or in such manner, as will preserve, protect, and perpetuate such wildlife, and provide for the citizens of this state and, as by law permitted to others, continued supplies of such wildlife for hunting, fishing and trapping."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back