Idaho hates NRs.

If it was hate they would of raised it to $800 and put in a point system that costs you even more money like every other state.
The moves by IDFG are to limit opportunities for NRs. Frank Church November mule deer tag went from unlimited draw (700+ bought last year) to approximately 50ish cap per year. Other units are getting similar cuts as residents complain. Add in the price increase, which I agree should happen in some form, IDFG is trying to push NRs away but raise prices enough to offset the reduced tag sales.

Prices will keep going up until people don't pay it. Good old fashioned economics. I'm sure Idaho is like every other state and has bills to pay that are certainly not getting smaller.

The moves by IDFG are to limit opportunities for NRs. Frank Church November mule deer tag went from unlimited draw (700+ bought last year) to approximately 50ish cap per year. Other units are getting similar cuts as residents complain. Add in the price increase, which I agree should happen in some form, IDFG is trying to push NRs away but raise prices enough to offset the reduced tag sales.
Idaho's number one concern should be idaho residents. Last year where I hunt elk I met more NR hunters than resident hunters.

And that's the best thing to happen to the frank deer herd since the frank was first explored by the white man.

I don't always side with the lunatic resident hunters at IDFG meetings but in this case we as residents have a legit gripe.

This is not a good bill at all.

We need to raise resident prices $10 across the board as well as raise NR prices.
Wyoming's at $1,321 for a "special" general elk tag and Montanas over $1,000.

Elk:

NM - $773
AZ - $665
CO - $661

Outside of Regions G and H, there is not a better general mule deer tag in the United States. Outside of 2 elk tags (MT archery/WY wilderness units),
there is likely not a better general elk tag in the country than our "A" tag. In terms of horn quality, numbers and overall solitude/experience.

The crowding is not what everyone says it is. If you hunt 39 the last week of October or if you hunt 43, yes, you will see hundreds of hunters and it will be a zoo.
Those units lie next to a valley with almost 800,000 people. 2 of the zip codes in that valley are the fastest growing zip codes
in the country. Probably similar to the wasatch.

If you hunt in the Frank within a half mile of the air strips, yes, it will be a shit show.

If you are a competent hunter, like many people on this board, getting away from people simply is not difficult. I saw 1 other guy in 3 days of rifle elk hunting this year, in a unit within
2 hours of Boise. In a unit that has been a general tag for over 75 years.

If some of the slayers on this board that I know are competent (Greenhorn, Kaitum, Big Fin, Randy 11, snowymountaineer, etc) lived here, within 5 years time I'd bet my retirement that they would have
spots that hold 170+ bucks and 310+ bulls, with tags you can LITERALLY (not figuratively) buy at the gas station today. Where you only see 2-3 other guys in a 4 day hunt.

Until we do a better job at catering to non-residents, we will continue to be the brokest F&G agency in the west. NR quotas need to stay the same. It is low enough at 10%.
Residents and NR fees here need to be raised as well, to competitive prices in line with neighboring states.

NM’s stadard elk tag is $548, and the license is $65. We are talking about an OTC tag in ID.

Meh.....Price insensitive buyer here.

When there, I'm transported back in time. The best childhood home ever.

Last edited:
After reading on another thread at what Wyoming is looking at doing to their NR tags it is hard to see all the hate for Idaho. Last year NR tags sold out in a few days. All the states around us are raising the price but we shouldn't. The writing was on the wall that as everyone was just heading here. plus with not having a point system new hunters are not starting out behind.

Not love or hate. It is a little love to the resident tho and last time I checked NRs arent paying taxes in idaho.

No, I do not pay taxes in Idaho. As a Federal tax payer though I am part of the non-Idahoans making sure everyone in your state annually gets total Federal spending that is $3500 more per person than you pay to the Feds. I also pay hotel tax, rental car tax and other "tourist" taxes every time I fly over to Boise. I pay more to merely apply for a hunt. Might be best to build a F&G budget that can withstand the revenue hit that will happen during the next economic downturn when some non-residents will avoid Idaho. Or not. I don't pay taxes there so why would I care, right?

No, I do not pay taxes in Idaho. As a Federal tax payer though I am part of the non-Idahoans making sure everyone in your state annually gets total Federal spending that is $3500 more per person than you pay to the Feds. I also pay hotel tax, rental car tax and other "tourist" taxes every time I fly over to Boise. I pay more to merely apply for a hunt. Might be best to build a F&G budget that can withstand the revenue hit that will happen during the next economic downturn when some non-residents will avoid Idaho. Or not. I don't pay taxes there so why would I care, right?
I do the same, but I'm not crying foul when I go to arizona and hunt or wyoming to hunt. I'm not a resident in those states so I pay more. That's life and its ok. I also do not think arizona and wyoming hate NRs because of the cost I pay.

It looks like Idaho is moving forward to restrict non-resident opportunities and prices.

Not just Idaho, fees in Wyoming are about to get jacked way up and I think Colorado is thinking about it too. And they are working to restrict number of nonresident licenses sold. I may never hunt out of state the way they are setting things up lately in the states I was interested in.

When the next recession comes, it won't matter all that much what the price of a non resident license is. The price of the tag is only a fraction of the cost of a hunt. An out of state hunt is the definition of a discretionary expense. So states might as well make hay while the sun is shining.

To be clear I understand the sentiment and annoyance of a tag going up in price, but idaho is simply closer aligning themselves with the going rate with these price increases. They are not going ham and raising them to some astronomical number that exceeds every state in the country here. But let's all act like it's an astronomical number cause it is a reason to complain and we all love to complain.

To be clear I understand the sentiment and annoyance of a tag going up in price, but idaho is simply closer aligning themselves with the going rate with these price increases. They are not going ham and raising them to some astronomical number that exceeds every state in the country here. But let's all act like it's an astronomical number cause it is a reason to complain and we all love to complain.

+1000, this guy gets it.

$1,321 for a WY general tag. That's brutal, although I'll still pay it when I go in 2021.

As someone mentioned above, I think all these states are gonna eat crow during the next solid recession.

After reading on another thread at what Wyoming is looking at doing to their NR tags it is hard to see all the hate for Idaho. Last year NR tags sold out in a few days. All the states around us are raising the price but we shouldn't. The writing was on the wall that as everyone was just heading here. plus with not having a point system new hunters are not starting out behind.

Just to clarify, they didn't sell out until they went on sale to residents as second elk tags. Unless you really had your heart set on a couple specific areas, there were elk tags available for quite a while.

Costs everywhere are going up for NR. Just the world we live in with more people after fewer resources. Someday a politician may have to show some courage and ask his/her residents to pay up too.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back