Caribou Gear

Idaho hates NRs.

To be clear I understand the sentiment and annoyance of a tag going up in price, but idaho is simply closer aligning themselves with the going rate with these price increases. They are not going ham and raising them to some astronomical number that exceeds every state in the country here. But let's all act like it's an astronomical number cause it is a reason to complain and we all love to complain.
I agree the proposed NR price increases for for Idaho aren’t astronomical compared to other western states. My point is that they see what the surrounding states are getting away with and want their cut.

Take Montana for example. I hunt there exclusively since I have friends that live there and enjoy spending time with them so I pay the price every time I go. But, I’m paying over $1000 for an elk/deer combo tag and they’re paying $36 for the same thing. That’s a ridiculous spread. Also, most NR hunters are providing additional income to the local economy through lodging, food, fuel and the like. It seems as though FWP could increase the resident fees a little and lower the NR fees and nobody would complain too much. It would boost interest in NR hunters to come there, hunt and add $ to the local economy at the same time.

Not sure of their reasoning for biting the hands that are feeding them, but maybe they just don’t want us there and figure most will shy away.

Might be best to build a F&G budget that can withstand the revenue hit that will happen during the next economic downturn when some non-residents will avoid Idaho. Or not. I don't pay taxes there so why would I care, right?
[/QUOTE]

This to me is what is going to be very very interesting in the upcoming years. I am pretty darn sure we are getting close to a very good one soon. Soon being could be next year or 5 years from now but it's coming bet on it. When it hits some western states f&g budgets are gonna be screwed in a major way. I think they have rode the NR train a little to far honestly for the sake of a cheaper resident tag. Hey honestly can't blame residents for wanting a cheap tag and some are not so cheap for resident hunters (WY). I think what you are really seeing in MT,ID, and CO as far as over crowding is the constant migration of out of staters moving there that are outdoorsman. Some of those cool towns have really seen a boost in population numbers over the last decade it seems. Heck look at this forum at the constant threads on "What state would you move to" "What town would be best in ----------- for the outdoorsman".

Last edited:
Avoid because of tag cost? Highly doubtful during a recession considering we will still be the cheapest.

You must not remember when Idaho was offering discounted second tags to anyone that would buy one and not able to sell them all. This wasn't that many years ago either. It was same time Montana couldnt sell all their combos and a guy could simply drive to wyoming and buy leftover antelope tags at walmart during the season. In this economy none of those are a reality anymore. Time will tell if the next economic slowdown will reset some of the demand for NR opportunities.

Idaho’s last NR increase was part of a three way perfect economic storm- price increase, recession combined with bad publicity regarding wolves.

Did you guys see Idaho now allows 15 wolves per person because we have so many wolves running around?

Don't worry, residents will be seeing a huge fee increase soon enough. Sadly IDFG is just like every other bureaucracy that can't control their spending. I'd be ok with a fee increase that went to improving the herds, but instead they are building a new HQ and just got done with a new regional office.

You must not remember when Idaho was offering discounted second tags to anyone that would buy one and not able to sell them all. This wasn't that many years ago either. It was same time Montana couldnt sell all their combos and a guy could simply drive to wyoming and buy leftover antelope tags at walmart during the season. In this economy none of those are a reality anymore. Time will tell if the next economic slowdown will reset some of the demand for NR opportunities.
You made my point. All states NR license sales are hurt by an economic downturn and when the next one hits idaho will still be the cheapest option there is despite the increase in tag price. Therefore they wont avoid idaho over another state because of tag cost during a downturn in the economy.

Oh they'll probably still sell out during the next recession. But the odds of drawing will increase!! Might be insensitive to those nearing retirement but a recession is probably the only chance I'll be able to draw once everyone goes to a 6% (or less) NR cap.

Oh they'll probably still sell out during the next recession. But the odds of drawing will increase!! Might be insensitive to those nearing retirement but a recession is probably the only chance I'll be able to draw once everyone goes to a 6% (or less) NR cap.
They sure didn’t sell out last recession. They went years selling out NR tags to having fire sales.

You made my point. All states NR license sales are hurt by an economic downturn and when the next one hits idaho will still be the cheapest option there is despite the increase in tag price. Therefore they wont avoid idaho over another state because of tag cost during a downturn in the economy.

I get your point that all states will suffer I am just pointing out that Idaho will not be insulated from this as the perceived "cheapest" elk tag. With the price increase proposed its going to be right there with the other popular western states for elk.

This is not a good bill at all.

We need to raise resident prices $10 across the board as well as raise NR prices.
Wyoming's at $1,321 for a "special" general elk tag and Montanas over $1,000.

Elk:

NM - $773
AZ - $665
CO - $661

Outside of Regions G and H, there is not a better general mule deer tag in the United States. Outside of 2 elk tags (MT archery/WY wilderness units),
there is likely not a better general elk tag in the country than our "A" tag. In terms of horn quality, numbers and overall solitude/experience.

The crowding is not what everyone says it is. If you hunt 39 the last week of October or if you hunt 43, yes, you will see hundreds of hunters and it will be a zoo.
Those units lie next to a valley with almost 800,000 people. 2 of the zip codes in that valley are the fastest growing zip codes
in the country. Probably similar to the wasatch.

If you hunt in the Frank within a half mile of the air strips, yes, it will be a shit show.

If you are a competent hunter, like many people on this board, getting away from people simply is not difficult. I saw 1 other guy in 3 days of rifle elk hunting this year, in a unit within
2 hours of Boise. In a unit that has been a general tag for over 75 years.

If some of the slayers on this board that I know are competent (Greenhorn, Kaitum, Big Fin, Randy 11, snowymountaineer, etc) lived here, within 5 years time I'd bet my retirement that they would have
spots that hold 170+ bucks and 310+ bulls, with tags you can LITERALLY (not figuratively) buy at the gas station today. Where you only see 2-3 other guys in a 4 day hunt.

Until we do a better job at catering to non-residents, we will continue to be the brokest F&G agency in the west. NR quotas need to stay the same. It is low enough at 10%.
Residents and NR fees here need to be raised as well, to competitive prices in line with neighboring states.

I would argue that other general deer units in WY have significantly better deer numbers than most Idaho Gen units. (Not just G&H).
WY general elk (while it does take a couple points) also better than your avg Idaho general tag. Quite a few Colorado OTC elk tags I would take over an Idaho OTC elk tag too....I’ve hunted both a fair amount. Always enjoy Idaho, but as far as game quality & quantity ......I think a couple other places beat it as far as Value.

The economy will take a down turn at some point, but that is no reason they should keep the prices there they are at now. Idaho NR tags are cheaper than the states around it now. When it does take a down turn I guess I will just stay home and buy a second tag when they drop the price.

I'll still buy a nonresident elk tag as a second elk tag even with the price increase as long as the reduction in quotas doesn't pinch me out first. Still a bargain in my opinion.

57% increase in the cost of an elk tag. Jeez... As a lifelong ID resident who now lives in OR, I have to shake my head. I've yet to see the price increase for deer tags but wonder if we can't expect a similar bump. I guess they just wanna push NR to Montana or Wyoming.
A deer tag in Montana is 650 and elk tag 850 roughly so Idaho has a ways to go

Idaho don't hate nonresidents. Any Idaho Fish and Game Officer will tell you, they would rather have one nonresident to ten residents. It's a profit margin to the number of hunters in the field.

How much cheaper though really? Isn't the license going up as well? So for the license and elk tag only is going to be +/-$800. Isn't that pretty in line with the other western states?

I’ve always been baffled by the comments that NRs are the reason that the woods are getting crowded. NR tags are limited in most western states. Someone else in this thread hit on it. NEW RESIDENTS are the reason the woods are getting crowded.

I’ve always been baffled by the comments that NRs are the reason that the woods are getting crowded. NR tags are limited in most western states. Someone else in this thread hit on it. NEW RESIDENTS are the reason the woods are getting crowded.
I agree but you remember the Utah or Colorado license plates and not Idaho.

I agree but you remember the Utah or Colorado license plates and not Idaho.

Yes but, A) the number of those plates in most states is fairly static. B) if you think that way when you see plates from other states, I hope you stay home and don’t go crowding anyone else’s state.

Yes but, A) the number of those plates in most states is fairly static. B) if you think that way when you see plates from other states, I hope you stay home and don’t go crowding anyone else’s state.
I didn’t say I did it. I was rooting for an Oregon guy who was parking at one of my honey holes gates. First there, last to leave - which is usually me. He was working hard to kill an elk. I’m guessing he didn’t kill an elk because he was still parked there after dark the last day of season.

I did park there one afternoon when he wasn’t there - and killed a bull.

For those of you who don’t think Idaho hates NRs - you should talk with resident hunters. This whole mess is IDFG responding to resident complaints about NRs. I don’t really think it’s going to change hunting pressure much, except for the Frank Church example. At some point, residents will have to make some changes to reduce pressure - like pick your unit for deer hunting. Or, a big recession hits and the woods become less crowded.

Yearly my wife drops $2-$3k(I dont ask I go hunting) on Disneyland.

Last night I took my wife and 3 kids to Olive Garden and dropped $98 pre tip.

Looking like $6k for trip to Hawaii this summer.

Fact is life is expensive. Costs me $50 to hunt elk in Utah.

Kinda "ballsy" to expect a state in which you don't reside to make things great for you.

Your one weeks worth of gas and groceries don't match a residents 52 weeks.

Your a GUEST. If you don't like the house rules, STAY HOME.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back