Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho-Elk Hunt

Midwest-Dan

New at this elk hunting and wanted some advice. Last year I was chosen through my union for a guided elk/mule deer rifle hunt. It was great, shot my first mule deer and had many encounters with elk and just missed a big bull that was a far shot. The hunt was on sportsmen channel called Brotherhood outdoors. Well it got me hooked on elk hunting. So this year I'm going back with my brother in-law but with our bows un-guided. We hunted public ground, My first question is will elk generally be in the same areas year after year? I will be going in Mid Sept this year instead of mid Oct, will this change where they hang out too? Planned on glassing and trying to stalk up on them with out calling, though if I do purchase a cow call what do you recommend for a beginner. Just looking for some advice, Thanks

The one thing you can count on in Elk hunting is it's always changing. They might use the same area, then again they might be several miles away this time. I haven't hunting Idaho so I can't tell you anything about the area, other than look where others aren't.

Yes, elk will inhabit the same areas year after year as long as not pushed out of their desired area by predators or man. Being in the spots you are finding elk at certain times of the month are important to replicate those following years as elk will re-locate at different times of the month for different reasons. So, stay as close to the dates as possible in the areas where you've found elk in the past.

ElkNut1

I have never hunted Idaho, but I am sure they act the same as here. lots of glassing, watch where they feed and bed and try to intercept them. as for cow calls, any closed reed call will work, just avoid the squeeze type "hoocie mama" calls like the plague. they make everyone think they can call elk, and I have actually seen elk coming in to bugles or cow talk until someone hits the hoocie mama, then they stop and trot away. hope this helps, good luck and have fun!

So are you going back too where the guide took you? You may be in line for a bad encounter with the Guide if you are, I know they frown on clients coming back and hunting "there" spots... but if its public go for it.... they know that when they guide on public lands..... they should be relatively close too where they are in early Oct too mid Oct after that they start transitioning too there wintering grounds.... what part of the state are you going too hunt? may be able too help as far as what the weather is going too do,
Matt

Thanks everyone, hunting in southeast Idaho, near Thatcher. It was a very popular place in gun season but many of the hunters never got off there atv's so the elk herds where pattering the hunters which kind of helped us. Not going to be picky on my first elk just hoping to have some action!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back