Idaho Deer Tags

SagebrushSlayer

For any of you Idaho residents, they reduced the price on a non-resident elk tag down to $300 this month. How many guys on this site are going to take advantage of this?

Second, they didn't reduce the price on deer tags yet. I think they will, either in Sept. or Oct. They haven't even sold 2000 non-resident deer tags yet. IMO the best case scenario is they sell 4500 tags at regular price. If they discount them again a $199, I see them selling about another 4500 tags, between regular deer tags and white-tail only deer tags. Does it make sense to anyone why they wouldn't discount them? That's leaving a good chunk of money off the budget for wildlife.

Idaho is on my short list of out of state hunts for the next few years. Now that they are doing resident prices for non-resident disabled veterans, I need to get out that way. I have to get on the regs and figure it all out and start trying to come up with a game plan and such. Maybe a few HTers can meet up for adult beverages or coffee?

Went ahead and bought a second elk tag, first time I've done it my dad can't get out and hunt anymore but still loves the elk meat so I figure I'll try and fill his freezer as well, as mine, John if you ever do get the bug to come out here I'd have no problem showin you the ropes. Plenty of game to go around for everybody

I'm in for my draw tag. Don't know about an extra, with three elk tags in the house and 3 deer, I don't know we will have enough freezer room, if the family is successful. John, you ever get to southwest Idaho, we can find adult beverages wherever, even in a backyard with a smoker going.

Nonres but Me and buddy each have elk/dèer tags now, thinking about adding 1 more elk each. Freezer and truck room is problem. With tags I already have should shot 2 elk, 2 muleys, 2 antelope and 6 or 8 whitetails. Thinking friends are getting meat for Christmas this year..lol

Do they usually discount deer tags later? Would almost rather get a deer tag and hunt different area

C

Nonres but Me and buddy each have elk/dèer tags now, thinking about adding 1 more elk each. Freezer and truck room is problem. With tags I already have should shot 2 elk, 2 muleys, 2 antelope and 6 or 8 whitetails. Thinking friends are getting meat for Christmas this year..lol

Do they usually discount deer tags later? Would almost rather get a deer tag and hunt different area

C

I want to be your friend :cool:

Does it make sense to anyone why they wouldn't discount them? That's leaving a good chunk of money off the budget for wildlife.

Like drug dealers
"Treat them to hookem, pull back to cookem"
They have sold enough non resident deer tags in the past few years that they figure to more than break even by selling fewer at the normal price.

Besides If we had enough bucks for people to be shooting two a year in these general units we wouldn't have such restricted general season hunts. It seems oxymoronic to always be discussing cutting season a week shorter to limit buck harvest while letting money talk you into selling two buck tags to so many hunters.

John- You should come over to ID and hunt. I hunt with some buddies that are vets or are still serving. We hunt an area in central ID that has good opportunity for deer and elk. I'd be happy to chat with you on the regs and what your looking for. Definitely should do a HT get together with some ID guys with either drinks or bbq.

Elkmagnet- yeah I figured at some point they would be doing so, I'll be paying close attention to how many are sold before the 10th opener. It's interesting to see them not have a set 3 week OTC window for deer hunting across the board, then talk about how the units are above capacity in terms of deer numbers. Another great one is limiting kids in the 2 week seasons to shooting a doe, only on private land. I know I move from the 2 week season units to the 3 week season unit once they are closed and I know a lot of people who do the same.

Greatwhitebuffalo- There are a few non-resident elk units either A or B tag quotas that have sold out. The Quota page numbers seem off if you look at the quota vs availability. I think they failed math.

Thanks for the intel. I'll probably pick one up in the next couple of weeks or so. I'm just trying to settle on which area. Palisades and Beaverhead are at the top of the list. But, Brownlee looks interesting given I'm more interested in archery. Just not sure if I want to add an extra 4 hours to a drive that's already brutal enough as it is. Anyone out there with with an opinion feel free to chime in...

IDFG tried to institute 3 week seasons across all units of southern Idaho last year that would have come into effect this season but enough people were opposed to it that we were left with the checkerboard of 2 and 3 week seasons.

For any of you Idaho residents, they reduced the price on a non-resident elk tag down to $300 this month. How many guys on this site are going to take advantage of this?

Second, they didn't reduce the price on deer tags yet. I think they will, either in Sept. or Oct. They haven't even sold 2000 non-resident deer tags yet. IMO the best case scenario is they sell 4500 tags at regular price. If they discount them again a $199, I see them selling about another 4500 tags, between regular deer tags and white-tail only deer tags. Does it make sense to anyone why they wouldn't discount them? That's leaving a good chunk of money off the budget for wildlife.

As of the last time they updated the tag numbers, about four days ago, they've sold over ten thousand at regular price, last year they sold them all. No need for them to discount them.

Back