Idaho controlled mule deer hunt

muley chaser

I'm a 17 year old highschol kid who's hunting season is to filled up with sports until the end of October hoping to get a late season mule deer tag. So with the deadline fast appraoching, I'm wondering whether I should put in for the unit 22 late season tag or the unit 23 tag. Here's my dellema, unit 22 is my home hunting unit and because my dad drew a late cow tag last year, I got to experience late November and it was incredible, in four days of hunting I saw a lifetime of monster bucks, but the tags draw odds are around 3% while the unit 23 tag is around 20% and I've heard some promising bucks have been seen in there as well. I'd also love to get a pronghorm if anyone knows some stuff to help me out?

I think you have answered your own question - Unit 22. I know nothing about either unit, but if I had a choice between a unit I am familiar with and unit I am not familiar with, I am going with the unit I know something about. As a high school student, you will get more benefit out of the unit near your home and one you know, given school interrupts your hunting schedule and an unfamiliar unit requires some of your scarce days be allocated to scouting and learning the area..

Yeah, looks like the draw odds are stacked against you, but you live in a state with the best general mule deer hunting in the west, so even if you don't draw you have some great options for mule deer. Good luck. I hope you draw and you post your story here.

I think you have answered your own question - Unit 22. I know nothing about either unit, but if I had a choice between a unit I am familiar with and unit I am not familiar with, I am going with the unit I know something about. As a high school student, you will get more benefit out of the unit near your home and one you know, given school interrupts your hunting schedule and an unfamiliar unit requires some of your scarce days be allocated to scouting and learning the area..

Yeah, looks like the draw odds are stacked against you, but you live in a state with the best general mule deer hunting in the west, so even if you don't draw you have some great options for mule deer. Good luck. I hope you draw and you post your story here.

+1

A good long term plan would be to scout unit 23 and learn it very well once you get some free time. Apply for 22 now, then apply for 23 once you know it well enough to be confident you can be successful there. In my opinion it's better to be really familiar with a 20-25% draw odds type of unit, than a once in a lifetime type of unit. I'd rather be able to hunt more often than to have to rely on drawing Wille-Wonka's golden ticket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back