Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho changes to muzzle loader, archery definitions

OK, but how many of those with exposed hammers also have an exposed ignition? Contenders don't. Encores don't. I don't believe the Marksbury or Scout do. So those may have an exposed hammer but they're still not legal in Idaho. Can anybody name one inline muzzleloader that will be legal in Idaho? Ron? You're the one who said:

Some inlines will still be legal. In fact nothing was really changed

You really think NOTHING was changed???

WH nailed it, you've still got to have the exposed ignition. So you could though build a inline, with a hammer and the exposed ignition and probably be legal. I'm sure one of the big guys like knight, tc or another will build one.

Could I tape a hammer to the side of my inline ML to make it legal or does the ruling specify that the hammer be part of the ignition system? I never read that inlines were illegal, only that I needed an exposed rotating hammer(so I leave the tape loose)!

Going back to my childhood.... in the 70's we had more game available per hunter( fewer animals, but many fewer hunters). Muzzleloaders at the time were very primitive and our success rates were low. We now know more about the animals, we now have more advanced equipment, and there are many more of us out there looking for a trophy.
It only makes sense to me that we separate these hunters into groups to relieve pressure on the game. Archers, Ml's, general may not be enough, so what do you do? Well, let's draw more lines between hunters.
Knives-less than 8" -August 15-21
Knives-over 8"(spears)August 22-28
Rest
Archers-Longbow only-Sept 1-7
Archers-recurve only-Sept 8-14
Archers-compound(65%-) Sept 15-21
Archers-compound(65%+) Sept 22-28
Rest
General rifle(Iron sights only) Oct 1-7
General rifle(telescopic sights, less than .50 cal) Oct 8-14
General rifle(telescopic sights, over .50 cal) Oct 15-21
General rifle(anything goes-special season-no tanks) Oct 22-28
rest
Traditional ML(exposed ignition,hammer, etc) Nov 1-7
Non-Traditional ML-Nov 8-14

We could further deliniate using bullet weight, arrow length, FPS, left or right handed, redhaired, you get the point.

Point is to try to allow everyone opportunity while not overly favoring a particular crowd.

OH CRAP!!!! I left out spoons!! Replace rest days with spoons.

Bitch all you want, wait til the regs come out, and hunt where you can.

|oo No, WH did NOT nail it. The scout DOES have a exposed #11 cap & hammer. I know that for a fact I shot one and my boss still has it. Marksbury's come in different model numbers. I saw a marksbury at Sportsmans warehouse that had a exposed #11 cap & hammer.
There were only a handful of units before you could use a bolt action inline with #11 caps. Any gun that used primers was already illegal. The bolt action style of inline may still be legal in short range hunts. This is what it says.

"The modern muzzleloaders legal under Idaho rules up to now could still be used in special short-range weapons hunts and in any-weapon hunts."

It also says,
"some in-line models may still fit the new restrictions"

If a guy has a knight, or a Savage, or a remington, or many others, you might have to get a different gun. Or quit hunting the muzzleloader season.
The fact is not much will change as far as the rifles go. SOme inlines will still be legal and companies will make inlines to fit the law mark my words.
The bullets? ya I am sure a couple of styles won't work now, so what. Use a bullet that is legal. The bullets were no different than the gun. Sabots were only legal in a few hunts.
I wished they would have used the minimum weight rule. Round balls are not my idea of a quality bullet. Most of the guys that shoot them shoot them at 100 to 150 yards. Round balls out of a 50 cal only has 569 FPE at 100 yrds. My Great plains bullets out of my 50 cal has 1470 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards.
Like I said not much will change. Guys will see the tags that are offered and make the switch, I did. Ron

Didn't catch the exposed ignition part. Doesn't really matter for me, because if/when I venture to ID I'll probably be packing a rifle. Have fun with the new regs fellas!

|oo No, WH did NOT nail it. The scout DOES have a exposed #11 cap & hammer. I know that for a fact I shot one and my boss still has it. Marksbury's come in different model numbers. I saw a marksbury at Sportsmans warehouse that had a exposed #11 cap & hammer.
There were only a handful of units before you could use a bolt action inline with #11 caps. Any gun that used primers was already illegal. The bolt action style of inline may still be legal in short range hunts. This is what it says.

"The modern muzzleloaders legal under Idaho rules up to now could still be used in special short-range weapons hunts and in any-weapon hunts."

It also says,
"some in-line models may still fit the new restrictions"

Like I said, WH nailed it. You did as well by knowing a couple examples of guns that are inlines that fit. You've got to have both the pivoting hammer and the exposed ignition. The exposed ignition is what is going to lead lots of inlines that have a pivoting hammer (like encores) from being legal under the new restrictions. Ron you are just smart enough to not complain, accept the changes, roll with it, and have success. Looking at the markesbery website it appears all their guns will fit in as ahving an exposed ignition and a pivoting hammer, hmmm I'm kind of interested. Do you have any experience with them?

So there are a couple of inlines out there that do have both an exposed hammer and an exposed ignition. But most do not. 99.9% of the inlines being used in Idaho up to now would not meet the new regulations. So SOMETHING has changed. All those guys with those now illegal muzzleloaders will need to buy a new one or quit hunting the muzzleloader season. But you're right in that nothing really significant has changed due to the fact that a guy could buy a sidelock muzzleloader (or one of those Marsburys) and be just as effective at killing game as he was with his "modern" inline. Like I said before, I have both types, and I don't think one will shoot any farther than the other.

I have never shot the Marksbury. The one I posted for sale sold for 210.00. Not a bad price to update and still be legal.

WH, I think that the 99.9 % of inlines would fail might be a bit on the steep side, but you are right that the majority would not be legal. My guess is again they will cry and then go get another gun. I mean look at it this way. The guys screams and cusses his luck. The wife hears him complain and says what is the matter. He tells her the story, she dosen't listen. Then he buys a new rifle. She complains and he says we talked about it!
I agree if loaded the same they will both shoot the same. Like I said before I knew that this was going to take place years ago when the Traditional hunts first started. I am just glad they allow bullets now instead of round ball only. Ron

Next you'll be fighting for Bows only, then Recurves only..... Where is the Spear Season ? I want to kill a Animal with a spear !!

I don't see a problem with that either. Well there might be one, people might have to acually learn how to hunt. Maybe we would be better off going all traditional.

as a oregon muzzle loader hunter thats use to the same rules i like idahos decision,isuppose if i came from a inline muz state i would be mad.I would like to see some uniformness to the muzzle loader debate? maybe a shorter season for the inliners that can get out 200 yrd plus.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back