Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking for a Idaho legal muzzy

H&H

After a quick search, I couldnt find my question. My archery hunt has an option for muzzleloader hunt later on and was thinking about diving into muzzleloaders as a backup. I dont have anyone close to me that runs muzzleloaders, at least recently. I am looking for advice on what a good ecomomical muzzleloader would be for hunting elk in idaho, and some basic info on the different types and models out there, it is a totally new venture for me. Below are the Idaho regs on muzzle loaders.

TIA.

1. Is capable of being loaded ONLY from the muzzle.
  2. Is equipped with a single or double-barrel.
  3. Is loaded ONLY with loose black powder OR other loose synthetic black powder.
  4. Is loaded with a patched round ball OR a conical, unjacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. No sabots.
  5. Is loaded with a projectile that is within .010 of an inch of the bore diameter.
  6. Is equipped ONLY with a flint OR a percussion cap OR a musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited.
  7. Is equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is clearly exposed and visible when the hammer of the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.
  8. Has no scope, only open or peep sights. Fiber optic open sites are permitted.
  9. Is free of any electronic devices.
  10. Is at least forty-five (.45) caliber for deer, antelope, or mountain lion.
  11. Is at least fifty (.50) caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.

Cva makes a NW model Accura v2 that has an exposed percussion cap breech plug.

Knight makes a few different NW legal muzzleloader that you can convert to shoot 209’s, also drilled and tapped for scopes on a few models. If it’s also something that you’re looking into for other states. They are a little spendy up front but I think the conversion kit is around $100 then you’d have a muzzy that’s legal in most states... I’m sure there’s lots of other options out there that can be set up the same.

You said inexpensive. CVA Wolf and get the NW conversion kit. You'll be at about $300-350 and for an inexpensive rifle is really very accurate. It is pretty generic but very functional.

I'm late getting on this string, so you probably have already made a choice. But, a couple options are: Traditions Prairie Rifle or Mountain Rifle. You can buy them as a kit or complete rifle. They're available in .50 or. 54 cal from several vendors. Be careful though, you'll get hooked on Black Powder shooting ;)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back