Idaho Additional Draw

I think it takes a strong leader to put his butt on the line like this guy just did we need more leaders in our government such as this who accept responsiblitly at times like this when mistakes are made. I think this is the best thing ID. fish and game could have done here. It sure would have been a punch in the gut to take those tags from those children it wasn't thier mistake they were just trying to draw a tag thier parents applied for.

I think it takes a strong leader to put his butt on the line like this guy just did we need more leaders in our government such as this who accept responsiblitly at times like this when mistakes are made. I think this is the best thing ID. fish and game could have done here. It sure would have been a punch in the gut to take those tags from those children it wasn't thier mistake they were just trying to draw a tag thier parents applied for.

LOL OK. I feel bad for all the kids who's parents followed the rules. Not so much for those whose didn't.

I hope this was sarcasm!

Was going to go off on a political rant, about this IDFG leader being similar to our current leader as to bending rules to appease the feelings of certain groups, etc....then I remembered the new non-political mandate..:D

I still believe the right decision would have been to admit the mistake, pull back all the tags from all individuals who drew the tags due to the error and then redraw with those who were eligible and followed the rules initially.

If I or anyone else doesn't read the rules correctly about not being able to draw a controlled bull tag in consecutive years or put in for a bull moose tag after already having harvested one, and an application is filled out and submitted.....it is ruled ineligible and thrown out. If a hunter who drew a bull tag last year, puts in with a group of other individuals (who did not draw a bull tag last year ) for a bull tag this year.....it is ruled ineligible and thrown out...... How is this any different? other than the error was discovered after the draw and not before. Result should be the same.

The 10 year old controlled hunt situation this year was explained on the same page, page 108, of the regs as the above scenarios. So as I see it, failure to follow this stated rule should have the same result as failure to follow any other rule that would cause an application to be ineligible.

From page 108

Effective July 1, 2014 – the minimum age to hunt big game
was lowered from 12 to 10. A 9-year old may buy a license to
apply for a controlled hunt tag, but he or she must be 10 years
old at the time of the hunt.
Since this law does not take effect until July 1, 2014, hunters
who are 10 cannot apply for big game controlled hunts in the
first controlled hunt application periods (April-June), but a
9-year old who will turn 10 during the season can apply in the
second application period in August.

Seems pretty clear to me.......

Was going to go off on a political rant, about this IDFG leader being similar to our current leader as to bending rules to appease the feelings of certain groups, etc....then I remembered the new non-political mandate..:D

I still believe the right decision would have been to admit the mistake, pull back all the tags from all individuals who drew the tags due to the error and then redraw with those who were eligible and followed the rules initially.

If I or anyone else doesn't read the rules correctly about not being able to draw a controlled bull tag in consecutive years or put in for a bull moose tag after already having harvested one, and an application is filled out and submitted.....it is ruled ineligible and thrown out. If a hunter who drew a bull tag last year, puts in with a group of other individuals (who did not draw a bull tag last year ) for a bull tag this year.....it is ruled ineligible and thrown out...... How is this any different? other than the error was discovered after the draw and not before. Result should be the same.

The 10 year old controlled hunt situation this year was explained on the same page, page 108, of the regs as the above scenarios. So as I see it, failure to follow this stated rule should have the same result as failure to follow any other rule that would cause an application to be ineligible.

From page 108

Effective July 1, 2014 – the minimum age to hunt big game
was lowered from 12 to 10. A 9-year old may buy a license to
apply for a controlled hunt tag, but he or she must be 10 years
old at the time of the hunt.
Since this law does not take effect until July 1, 2014, hunters
who are 10 cannot apply for big game controlled hunts in the
first controlled hunt application periods (April-June), but a
9-year old who will turn 10 during the season can apply in the
second application period in August.

Seems pretty clear to me.......

+1! The kid and the adults on the application who can't read the rules should all be DQ'd. The entire application at that point is void. IDFG could have refunded their application fee if they wanted to be nice guy.

Opening up more tags in units that are managed for better than OTC hunts is the wrong solution IMO. In units with very limited tags the quality of hunt could be reduced this year by adding more hunters in the field and in future years for harvesting more than the original objective.

wonder if they will get charged another 6.50 app fee to apply in the "special controlled draw" ha...

I'm usually very supportive of IDF&G but the way this error is being handled is ludicrous.

It's time to consider firing some employees (Virgil first) over this debacle.

Well part of it was! But truth is if I were in his shoes I couldn't pry these tags out of a 10 year olds hands just couldn't do it.
While chitty thing to have to do, I think it's worse for the kids whom followed the rules and didn't apply! This is not how I would have handled it.

Well part of it was! But truth is if I were in his shoes I couldn't pry these tags out of a 10 year olds hands just couldn't do it.

I'm not in favor of teaching my kids they can keep what never should have been theirs in the first place.

Or teaching the kids/parents that followed the rules that you can be caught cheating/ignorant and still benefit.

Yeah I mean seriously this is just a lose lose not a good solution to it at all no matter what comes down from it. Guess the right thing for IDF&G to do is what the law states or policy. Major screw up all the way around.

I'm usually very supportive of IDF&G but the way this error is being handled is ludicrous.

It's time to consider firing some employees (Virgil first) over this debacle.
+1. I too am very supportive of IDFG most of the time. Basing the allocation of limited public resources on arbitrary and haphazard decision making is wrong. A fair number of folks don't trust IDFG to begin with...but when folks who are usually supporters lose all trust...its time to fire some people. I hope at the commission meeting next week they fire him. This is too big of a mistake that does too much damage to the reputation of IDFG to just let go.

Well put ERSS. I feel the same way.

I really don't think 99% of 10yr olds grasp or care where they hunt. My son is 14, been with me outdoors since he could walk, killed a spike with his bow at 12 and just recently I think drawing a tag vs OTC registers on the care meter. At 10 he was just thrilled to walk beside me, read sign and take in the sights and sounds.

What is amusing is the decision still eliminates the kids (parents) who followed the rules in the first place. I did see there is a tag or two added where I put my son in for elk. I think even he would rather his chance (or mine if there was a tag leftover) at the special draw be taken away and give an honest kid (parent that followed the rules) a chance.

Put another tally mark in the column of Former IDF&G supporter. I think its time for a change at the top. Rewarding ignorance of the state game regulations is not the way to start young hunters.

Back