Idaho 2024- start %itching now

Make it a random draw for NR and non refundable. Just do what Wy does. It’s so simple only dipshit politicians could screw it up.

Having a different day for each species would help with congestion as well. For example, Deer on Dec. 1, elk on Dec.2 etc.

Much of this is predictable to B-school grads who studied scarcity theory.

I have better things to do on December 1, so I wish you all good luck.
True, but scarcity is only fixed by moving to MT, WY, or ID. And in the end we all fight over the same scraps.

Sure, but raising the tag fee doesn’t fix that. And like I said, the congestion is self created due to the way it is set up. People are getting in the queue just to see where their lottery number is. Then they guess whether it is too high and move on. The delay comes because when numbers for ALL the people who dropped out come up on the screen and it takes 20min to time out before opening up the slot for the next number.

If you are saying up the fee to decrease demand for the tag, be real careful. I’m sure there is a $ point to do just that but that is about 12,000tags x $700, not including all the other fees just to participate.
I think the Commissioner's discussing this are seeing money left on the table and want NR fees increased -with a potential side effect being reduced congestion on 1 Dec. I don't really support the concept. I'm tired of each western state constantly pushing this to be a rich person's game.

Personally, I just want the process to be fair. Not what exists now where vendors buddies have an in and individuals buy tags for 10 people or tech savvy folks running bots are getting an edge. If everything was on a level playing field...I wouldn't care about the mad rush...but as it stands its not a level field by any means. I feel bad for folks who don't realize this and waste all day trying to get a decent tag. Its definitely the wild west on 1 Dec and just about anything goes...

I am uninterested in ID this year, most years really. It’s not as viable a backup plan/opportunity as it is thought or that it was. I think we are in the heart of a bubble there that will die down sooner than we think. The whole process of applying for, affording, competing over, planning, travelling, and then (for new hunters) realizing its not at all easy nor necessarily always even a pleasant hunt experience, is going to mute demand in many places in future years. Costs will never go down. Interest however I think actually will over time. More and more I hear that the “hunt”’was great due to the scenery, the hiking, the grandeur…. not so much the comradarie, the family tradition, the quantity of game seen or the solitude. Well, hiking, photography, camping, and still fishing, and the ability to do so with friends, are almost free or very cheap, and more accessible to younger folks, either according to their budget or their more “modern” sensibilities. Based on the increasing (and largely justified) complaining about the direction of Idaho/western hunting in general, even from all of us mostly near / at / beyond middle-age die-hards, how could this not dissuade future entrants? I for one am already dissuaded! Good luck to all on Dec 1.

Personally, I just want the process to be fair. Not what exists now where vendors buddies have an in and individuals buy tags for 10 people or tech savvy folks running bots are getting an edge. If everything was on a level playing field...I wouldn't care about the mad rush...but as it stands it’s not a level field by any means. I feel bad for folks who don't realize this and waste all day trying to get a decent tag. Its definitely the wild west on 1 Dec and just about anything goes...
I wonder what the process is the tag application/pimping services use to determine which employees and “celebrity” friends they grab tags for? It’s amazing how many of them tend to end up with some of the most sought after tags year after year

I wonder what the process is the tag application/pimping services use to determine which employees and “celebrity” friends they grab tags for? It’s amazing how many of them tend to end up with some of the most sought after tags year after year
Are they getting regular tags or buying landowner tags though. Big difference.

I think the Commissioner's discussing this are seeing money left on the table and want NR fees increased -with a potential side effect being reduced congestion on 1 Dec. I don't really support the concept. I'm tired of each western state constantly pushing this to be a rich person's game.

Personally, I just want the process to be fair. Not what exists now where vendors buddies have an in and individuals buy tags for 10 people or tech savvy folks running bots are getting an edge. If everything was on a level playing field...I wouldn't care about the mad rush...but as it stands it’s not a level field by any means. I feel bad for folks who don't realize this and waste all day trying to get a decent tag. Its definitely the wild west on 1 Dec and just about anything goes...
Agree 100%. I think every western state leaves money on the table. They wouldn't use any of these methods to get most $. The argument I have heard is that their role is not to maximize revenue. WY set the pace. I have observed some reluctance from various people on the special at that price. Unfortunately I do think it is becoming a rich-person’s sport. The only thing saving it is the amount of public land out west. Go back east and the true scarcity problem is about finding a place to hunt.

Last edited:
Much of this is predictable to B-school grads who studied scarcity theory.

I have better things to do on December 1, so I wish you all good luck.
Me too like go to sheep camp ! Haha won’t be in the rat race this year.

I normally am wading into the frey Dec 1st. However this year I will probably go for a mule deer tag in Idaho, but not elk. I am strongly considering burning my 5 points in Wyoming for an elk hunt his year. Correct me if I am wrong but, anything much more than 4 or 5 points in Wyoming seems to be no mans land for awhile.

I normally am wading into the frey Dec 1st. However this year I will probably go for a mule deer tag in Idaho, but not elk. I am strongly considering burning my 5 points in Wyoming for an elk hunt his year. Correct me if I am wrong but, anything much more than 4 or 5 points in Wyoming seems to be no mans land for awhile.
Think youre right about no mans land with 4 or 5. It even took 4.5 points to be get 100% odds for WY elk tag in the standard preference point draw.

Maybe idaho will realize soon they are leaving some money on the table. Make everyone who wants a tag apply during the draw.

Charge the application fee for each species they would be up almost half a million just in that one change to sell all the otc capped tags I bet all the tags would still sell out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back