Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho 2024- start %itching now

Next year one of you midwesterners need to get a charter bus take i90 across make a turn in billings and end up in twin falls on 1 dec. Anyone wants on along route, we can bring a grill and have a tail gate party while we wait. That kind of atmosphere would get idaho to change rules...lol
I think that bus already came through, but it was from California. And they had pesto wraps instead of grilling.

Last edited:
I think that bud already came through, but it was from California. And they had pesto wraps instead of grilling.
It would be interesting to see a break down by state of NR tag holders. I bet ID residents have far less "Easterner's" to complain about than CA, UT, WA & OR guys.

It would be interesting to see a break down by state of NR tag holders. I bet ID residents have far less "Easterner's" to complain about than CA, UT, WA & OR guys.
Yea but the “Easterners” are the only ones from non mountainous states and states typically without elk, mule deer, and antelope.
Therefore it’s easier to blame those Eastern slobs for everything.

FFS they can get up to 6 deer tags a year in some areas, why do they need to go west and clutter up the mountains.

Just to be clear and not get distracted by rational thought Minnesota is the root of western hunting problems! Yes Washington, California and Utards are contributers but dont lose focus on the worst of the bunch, 10k lakes and no deer apparently!

It does show the problems that hunters that travel the most are from some of the worst managed for hunting oppurtunity states. Seems rather than focus on fixing their own states for various reasons its just easier to hop on the 90 and head west.

Reactions: DFS
Not going to lie, this is totally just a safe fall for my wife and I. We will be putting in for other draws, nothing expected to for sure draw but if something hits, probably going to be returning tags. Part of why this system is so dumb!
Ditto. I realized a couple of things 1) numbers move very fast after the “prime” tags are gone in the first hour and a half, 2) you can’t buy an archery only tag in Idaho without an archery safety cert number. That is my bad for not seeing that rule wherever it is buried.

Once I was in the system and the clock started I struggled to find my card and then ended up picking an elk rifle tag that overlapped the deer tag I picked. Different units. I suspect the elk tag will get returned, if not both depending on what I decide when I come to my senses. Lesson learned.

FFS they can get up to 6 deer tags a year in some areas, why do they need to go west and clutter up the mountains.
How is it any different from guys in those mountainous states, namely to the NE and E of ID, that can get 2-4 elk, 1-2 mule deer, 1-2 Whitetail tags a year and hunt them for 5 months coming to Idaho?

It does show the problems that hunters that travel the most are from some of the worst managed for hunting oppurtunity states.
All kinds of opportunity on some really good deer in some VERY well managed areas. You are correct the states might be managed horribly by the government, but a lot of the land owners manage the land very well.

Can come buy 2 buck tags and 4 doe tags here in WI for $160 than buy all the doe tags you want for $12 a piece. And you know the offer is there 😀
just easier to hop on the 90 and head west.
I guess if Idaho wants guys who can make a 2-6hr round trip every weekend and various times during the week for the full season; instead of guys who drive 30+hrs round trip, and come out for 5-10days and are done have at it 😀

I saw more WA, OR, UT and for some strange reason TX plates than the rest. Some CA plates. I ran into guys from TN, MS and WI too.

WA by a far margin.

tons of Facebook posts this morning of people asking for help with tags they bought for areas they have no clue about. I’d predict a lot of tag returns, people that don’t come hunt and low success rates for a lot of these ones

tons of Facebook posts this morning of people asking for help with tags they bought for areas they have no clue about. I’d predict a lot of tag returns, people that don’t come hunt and low success rates for a lot of these ones
This is probably the most funny/frustrating part. People buying tags just bc, I saw it mentioned earlier or a difference thread, but it seems like it's almost more cool to say "I have an elk tag" than actually knowing how to hunt it.

Therefore it’s easier to blame those Eastern slobs for everything.
Tongue in cheek comment here but I think looking within the borders of those "mountainous" states and laying blame to the explosion of people is alot easier.

I don't think there's any Midwestern people running forums, tag services, call making, master classes pimping out the west to us "slobs". Seems like the explosion can be traced back to ID and MT but that's just my opinion.

This is probably the most funny/frustrating part. People buying tags just bc, I saw it mentioned earlier or a difference thread, but it seems like it's almost more cool to say "I have an elk tag" than actually knowing how to hunt it.
I ran into two guys hunting a very rugged wilderness unit with deer tags from Mississippi. They were on a flat part of the trail about a mile from the trailhead. They asked me what elevation were the bucks. I said top of the mountain. One of them replied he had bad knees and couldn’t hike much.

I felt bad for them and other unprepared hunters like them. They spend a lot of time and money to come to Idaho to hunt. Those guys drove from Mississippi. They get here and are overwhelmed by the experience. Most never have a chance unless they spot something road hunting.

It’s part of the reason I check license plates at trailheads. Certain states make us laugh while UT always gets a few curse words.

Tongue in cheek comment here but I think looking within the borders of those "mountainous" states and laying blame to the explosion of people is alot easier.

I don't think there's any Midwestern people running forums, tag services, call making, master classes pimping out the west to us "slobs". Seems like the explosion can be traced back to ID and MT but that's just my opinion.
I think many of my Midwestern friends have their own problems with the whitetail influencers. I have heard horror stories about what Lee and Tiff did to land leases in a certain area. The problems are not unique to any one region there just different and ultimately I think the public lands of the West are the draw for many. Lots of complaints about the Wyoming $2k license but I know a bunch of people who spend more than that to hunt a single whitetail buck in a place with no public land when you factor in access costs and other expenses to remove barriers. Ultimately to much info out there making people who normally wouldn't have the ambition to hunt west now watch a video and learn how to in a couple hours. Overall this is a national problem

I think many of my Midwestern friends have their own problems with the whitetail influencers.
I hope on the friend list and if so I couldn't agree more! The podcasts and whitetail shows out here are sickening to say the least. And yes Lee and Tiffany drove lease prices through the roof! NE IA is great hunting but not for those prices imo.

You know it starts soon where we get selway, Lolo, middle fork questions here on HT. Every year same thing but many of these guys are almost in over their heads. Its ridiculous that Idaho even sells as many tags as it does in some of these units (money grab) but some guys are capable of tackling some of these units so how do you separate other than by natural selection at the trailhead.

Hunting Public says “hold my beer.”

Friendly reminder, still looking to join a group on a lease that I can hunt in December every fall...lol

Sounds like new OnX subscriptions waiting to happen

Back