Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho 2024- start %itching now

For all the guys headed to Idaho to hunt that have never seen it in person, it is the most beautiful place in the world. HOWEVER, like others have said, it is unforgiving in the big woods and mountains. My first year hunting the dark timber of the North State I remember an old man telling me to believe my compass. If the compass says that is North, it is North (Guess that applies anywhere you go but it is important for the story). I remember questioning my compass more than once one day but chose to believe it would take me where I wanted to go. After a couple hours of busting brush, dealing with deep snow and deadfall, I stopped to take a break. Sitting there I just knew I was going the wrong way and that something was wrong with my compass. While sitting there contemplating back tracking I happened to look through the woods and spotted my truck only 100 yards away. Hate to think what I could have done to myself that day.

Go and see the beauty that is Idaho but know that it is nothing like you see in pictures. The mountains are massive and the forest goes for miles. Enjoy the hunt and the memories but be prepared.

People ruin everything, we tend to love everything to death. I didn’t even try for a tag this year. I don’t do rat races.

I just can’t understand how that many people are trying for tags that realistically only one person in your group will get. There’s not tons of people driving 25+ hours to hunt solo. Start looking closer to home.

Just to be clear and not get distracted by rational thought Minnesota is the root of western hunting problems! Yes Washington, California and Utards are contributers but dont lose focus on the worst of the bunch, 10k lakes and no deer apparently!

It does show the problems that hunters that travel the most are from some of the worst managed for hunting oppurtunity states. Seems rather than focus on fixing their own states for various reasons its just easier to hop on the 90 and head west.
Man I’m not trying to be a dick here, but aren’t you a nonresident with two idaho tags in your pocket?

People ruin everything, we tend to love everything to death. I didn’t even try for a tag this year. I don’t do rat races.

I just can’t understand how that many people are trying for tags that realistically only one person in your group will get. There’s not tons of people driving 25+ hours to hunt solo. Start looking closer to home.
I drive 19 hours to hunt Idaho. For those that talk about staying close to home and change the hunting landscape where you live, that is easier said than done. I am stuck in Kommiefornia where 2 major cities make all the decisions for the rest of us. That is why we have mountain lions that are protected. Some little old lady in the Bay Area who has never seen a lion or has no idea what they do to other species thinks they are beautiful and should be allowed to run roughshod on the forest. Won't change until one of them starts eating her cats.
I grew up in Central Michigan and remember a time when you had to apply and get drawn for a doe permit. There was a time that if you didn't get your buck opening morning you were more than likely SOL. Went home back in June and saw over 100 deer in one field one evening. The herd in Central Michigan is healthy and most people I know harvest more than one deer a year now. If I had those kind of opportunities I wouldn't hunt anywhere else. For now I will continue to be that bastard out of state hunter that travels 19 hours to hunt in the most beautiful place in the world and contribute to the annual frenzy that is the 1 December tag sale.

Diamond Creek sold out when number dropped 80. Yes 80 is all.

I know a guy who drove to Idaho and was the first in line at a vendor and did not get the tag he wanted. I cannot comprehend how that can be possible unless bots are being used somehow.

In person sales and once those guys are at the purchase point they can buy for dozens of others.

For all the guys headed to Idaho to hunt that have never seen it in person, it is the most beautiful place in the world. HOWEVER, like others have said, it is unforgiving in the big woods and mountains. My first year hunting the dark timber of the North State I remember an old man telling me to believe my compass. If the compass says that is North, it is North (Guess that applies anywhere you go but it is important for the story). I remember questioning my compass more than once one day but chose to believe it would take me where I wanted to go. After a couple hours of busting brush, dealing with deep snow and deadfall, I stopped to take a break. Sitting there I just knew I was going the wrong way and that something was wrong with my compass. While sitting there contemplating back tracking I happened to look through the woods and spotted my truck only 100 yards away. Hate to think what I could have done to myself that day.

Go and see the beauty that is Idaho but know that it is nothing like you see in pictures. The mountains are massive and the forest goes for miles. Enjoy the hunt and the memories but be prepared.
This is solid advice and, secondarily be aware of any magnets on you (think bino-harness) and the impact those have on a compass. Don’t ask me how I found this out.

What's wrong with wanting to travel to hunt? I live on Wyoming and have some pretty good hunting within an hours drive of my house. I'm going to Idaho next year because when I moved out west I wanted to hunt all the western states. I will be driving 12 hours to hunt solo and I'm going to try to get a second tag when tags get turned back in. What I'm getting at is what's wrong with people driving a long way to hunt other states. There is a finite amount of NR tags in Idaho so there's only so many utah, Washington, Nevada or Wyoming plates in the woods.

Man I’m not trying to be a dick here, but aren’t you a nonresident with two idaho tags in your pocket?
Your right and i will likely have 3 in my pocket by season like i typically have for last 10+ years. I spend 40-50 days a year in Idaho and never once heard a complaint about all the dam wyoming guys or vice versa in wyoming complaining about all the idaho guys. My general unit in idaho is closer to house than my general wyoming unit so its a little different than driving cross country and if i get DAV tags like i have all but once its cheaper to hunt idaho so my case is somewhat different. The Minnesota thing is real, some places i will see more MN tags than locals, thats wild to me.

What's wrong with wanting to travel to hunt? I live on Wyoming and have some pretty good hunting within an hours drive of my house. I'm going to Idaho next year because when I moved out west I wanted to hunt all the western states. I will be driving 12 hours to hunt solo and I'm going to try to get a second tag when tags get turned back in. What I'm getting at is what's wrong with people driving a long way to hunt other states. There is a finite amount of NR tags in Idaho so there's only so many utah, Washington, Nevada or Wyoming plates in the woods.
Nothing wrong with it, just saying what I did because it seems like there’s a lot of bashing towards people that aren’t “from the west” and it seems looked down upon if you come from one of the eastern states. I guess to me it’s nonresident vs resident. It doesn’t really matter what state you come from.

I’ve never hunted ID or done this online tag thing. Probably never will. If I did though, I’d come back to this thread for research as ya’ll outlined pretty much every sneaky trick available.

Find me in line at some small town hardware store, piping a hot spot to my laptop with like 20 incognito browsers open.

I’d come back to this thread for research as ya’ll outlined pretty much every sneaky trick available.
Pretty spot on with this comment! Guys will crucify someone for asking about a unit but not think twice about outlining how to game the system. Makes me chuckle. And those will be the same guys complaining about how hard tags are to get, how many "new NR" applicants there are etc.

Just shows some have to be "that guy" and let the world know "they" figured it out. Same as the guys who buy a tag just to say they have an elk tag with no idea what they are getting into.

This is solid advice and, secondarily be aware of any magnets on you (think bino-harness) and the impact those have on a compass. Don’t ask me how I found this out.
If you are using your phone for this, including OnX. Don't forget that a lot of phone cases have magnets in them. If you are in the sh!t and using your iPhone to get out, remove it from the case.
When your iPhone and inReach disagree, stick with the inReach. This got me back to my tent in the fog this year. iPhone would have put me over a cliff.

Its not like season starts anytime soon. Im not worried about it. The email just outlines how flawed the system is. Creating a sense of urgency that doesnt need to be there. When I lived in Idaho, we could purchase the leftover NR deer and elk tags. They couldnt sell them. Now, its a madhouse to try and get one. I wish they would go to a draw system for NR general tags, and just end this debacle. Id rather cross my fingers than take time off of work to sit on my phone, hoping to get a number below 43,000.

I would say that by sending that email they handled their situation pretty darn well, and other states should take notice. Other states print tags to people who didn't get them, to many tags issued etc. Heck idaho even did it with sheep tags. Would rather them send this email than send out the wrong tags.

And yes their system is messed up, ie you can log in with multiple devices, people in person can buy for multiple other people etc. But, the system as it is now is a draw, and imo a really cool one bc it's live. You have to choose what the tags is worth in regards to taking off, your time etc. You get a high # you log off.

If they could go to having to enter your information so you could only log in 1 time and only buying in person for yourself it would be the BEST system in the west imo.

Its not like season starts anytime soon. Im not worried about it. The email just outlines how flawed the system is. Creating a sense of urgency that doesnt need to be there. When I lived in Idaho, we could purchase the leftover NR deer and elk tags. They couldnt sell them. Now, its a madhouse to try and get one. I wish they would go to a draw system for NR general tags, and just end this debacle. Id rather cross my fingers than take time off of work to sit on my phone, hoping to get a number below 43,000.
I’m a solid no to going 100% draw for NR tags. I still manage to grab a second tag every now and then - I’d lose that.

You guys give idaho g&f to much credit, if there's a email something is screwed up! They are just trying to delay phones from ringing while they fix whatever this years error is. Hopefully the solution is easier than swapping blank/"faded" tags again or over issuing tags again...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back