Idaho 2019 harvest figures for sheep, goat, moose up on their website.

I'm going to put in ID sheep but I don't know much about the sheep hunting in the state. Does anyone have advice for a NR in regards to what units to look at for sheep. Not interested in unit 11 but thinking more about the higher percentage draws that are a bit more difficult to impossible to hunt.

Thanks,

I plan to put in for a moose hunt in the Panhandle. Still debating on the hunt/unit. Debating on ease of drawing vs. chance at a better moose.

My friends know my story, I hunt hard, for the whole season and I pass up animals. Drew Moose in '89 and '95. Hunted with a bow and seen several nice bulls, no shots. Drew sheep in '91, '07, '17. In '91 drew hunt 20, was just after the big sheep dieoff and saw no rams. '07 in the Owyhee's. I saw two different awesome rams, no shots. '17 hunt 28-1 - smaller rams many times. Great stories. Still haven't punched a tag... Hope I have one more sheep hunt in me... Or, never have had a goat tag.

I'm going to put in ID sheep but I don't know much about the sheep hunting in the state. Does anyone have advice for a NR in regards to what units to look at for sheep. Not interested in unit 11 but thinking more about the higher percentage draws that are a bit more difficult to impossible to hunt.

Thanks,
They say the Frank Church units are physically as tough a hunt as unlimiteds. I haven’t been there to prove it though.

My friends know my story, I hunt hard, for the whole season and I pass up animals. Drew Moose in '89 and '95. Hunted with a bow and seen several nice bulls, no shots. Drew sheep in '91, '07, '17. In '91 drew hunt 20, was just after the big sheep dieoff and saw no rams. '07 in the Owyhee's. I saw two different awesome rams, no shots. '17 hunt 28-1 - smaller rams many times. Great stories. Still haven't punched a tag... Hope I have one more sheep hunt in me... Or, never have had a goat tag.
Man I’ve never even heard of anyone having that many sheep tags.

I'm in for moose but not going to hold my breath. Good luck to everyone not applying for the same unit as me.

I stay away from those charts. My wife shot a big bull moose in 2015 and sandbagged the outside spread numbers and then the applications doubled the next year for that unit. They haven't even killed all their bulls since that year... it's not a good unit.

My point is people chase ghosts with those charts and it throws odds all over the place; she got lucky but the spreadsheet doesn't show that.

I just don't want to be the guy chasing ghosts so I apply where I want and let the chips fall where they may.

PS. My wife and I have drawn two random-draw desert sheep tags in the last three years so I think our luck is used up for a bit anyway 😎

Attachments

• 4B861486-7E7E-46DB-9DDF-4D67A8BE7DD0.jpeg
    4B861486-7E7E-46DB-9DDF-4D67A8BE7DD0.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 74E2A76C-46E3-43AA-90DD-279B7163DFD1.jpeg
    74E2A76C-46E3-43AA-90DD-279B7163DFD1.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for sharing your story. If I didn’t have a full calendar this fall I’d be applying but I’m planning to apply in Idaho next year and every year after that until I draw.
Just so you know, I have a lifetime Idaho license I bought before moving to Montana. I am treated as a resident for draw purposes and the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they really like the non resident fees I bring to the table. ;) The draw odds were much better 20 years ago as well. Since then my hair has turned grey and my sheeps cape has almost turned white. Good luck if you do decide to try to beat the odds and put in for Idaho Bighorn. It was a great hunt looking back on it.
20200318_125841.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back