Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho $1mil elk damage paid to farmer.

I think a lot of people either didn't read the whole article, or missed the last sentence in it. Kind of puts a whole different spin on it.

I guess I'm missing the spin.

"While hazing methods and fencing were initially used to keep hungry elk and deer from these agricultural areas, IDFG discovered that sage grouse had difficulty navigating fences. This means that the next management method will be lethal. According to McDonald, this summer and fall, the agency “will aim to be more strategic in deploying lethal measures” in an effort to “cut back on depredation and reduce monetary claims.”

"While hazing methods and fencing were initially used to keep hungry elk and deer from these agricultural areas, IDFG discovered that sage grouse had difficulty navigating fences. This means that the next management method will be lethal. According to McDonald, this summer and fall, the agency “will aim to be more strategic in deploying lethal measures” in an effort to “cut back on depredation and reduce monetary claims.”
I thought shooting 80 elk off the place last year seemed like a lot.

This would be a good property to team up with someone like boy scouts or wounded warriors and shoot one every day.

While hazing methods and fencing were initially used to keep hungry elk and deer from these agricultural areas, IDFG discovered that sage grouse had difficulty navigating fences. This means that the next management method will be lethal. According to McDonald, this summer and fall, the agency “will aim to be more strategic in deploying lethal measures” in an effort to “cut back on depredation and reduce monetary claims.”

Call that the Million dollar Super Grouse... :)

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/idaho-farmer-payout-for-elk-damage-exceeds-1-million

Reducing the numbers or a free for all hunting opportunity may not be the best option. We might eventually end up with nothing left to hunt. The Fish and Game are tasked with managing the animals for us. When the herds get smaller and hunters are unsuccessful. We blame the Fish and Game. This is just another way for them to do what they have to do for everyone. The farmers and ranchers need to accept some responsibility for lost due to natural influences.
5000 over the counter cow permits were added to this zone for 2019 and 2020 It is open terrain and easy to glass.
Thats not a typo, 5k!

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever dined on elk that was fattened on organic potatoes? I bet its tasty!
I"m thinking the ancient grains were probably responsible for the great taste as well. They likely have a lot more nutrition than average GMO wheat.

Sadly from the sounds of things all 80 cows that were shot were not utilized.

I"m thinking the ancient grains were probably responsible for the great taste as well. They likely have a lot more nutrition than average GMO wheat.

Sadly from the sounds of things all 80 cows that were shot were not utilized.
Then the state should deduct the value of the fertilizer from the damage estimate.

I believe, the spin may be... all out "lethal" run on the elk or hold back a few grouse.

The real issue here is that the Big Ag interest in the Legislature will use the lack of funds to authorize another increase in hunting license fees to be transferred to Ag interests. It’s the type of tax conservative legislators love.

Get Herrera in there. He’ll thin em out. At least the bulls.
can't do that he'd just leave them lay in the fields, I've always said whenever i go by a Res what great stewards of the land they are........................................

IDFG has shifted a lot of extra antlerless elk tags to landowner permission extra antlerless elk tags. This kind of prohibits the general public from obtaining these tags and promotes a more of "who you know" basis. It may help aid some of the farmers and prevents some of the reported agriculture damage.

IDFG has shifted a lot of extra antlerless elk tags to landowner permission extra antlerless elk tags. This kind of prohibits the general public from obtaining these tags and promotes a more of "who you know" basis. It may help aid some of the farmers and prevents some of the reported agriculture damage.
I really did not like what IDFG did in some cases - especially where tags were converted from regular controlled hunt draws into extra landowner tags. Literally taking public widllife and gifting it to private landowners. In one area I'm familiar with the demand for the tags was high (300-400 apps for 50 tags) and harvest success was also high (60-70%)...so I can't fathom what the need to take tags from the public was...other than to better serve ag interests.

Privatizing public wildlife (tags) whether through programs like what IDFG ramped up this year, the SFW model, or others is just as big a threat in my mind as the public land transfer stuff.

I really did not like what IDFG did in some cases - especially where tags were converted from regular controlled hunt draws into extra landowner tags. Literally taking public widllife and gifting it to private landowners. In one area I'm familiar with the demand for the tags was high (300-400 apps for 50 tags) and harvest success was also high (60-70%)...so I can't fathom what the need to take tags from the public was...other than to better serve ag interests.

Privatizing public wildlife (tags) whether through programs like what IDFG ramped up this year, the SFW model, or others is just as big a threat in my mind as the public land transfer stuff.

The IDFG employees aren't super helpful when you try calling them either about applying for those landowner tags. I don't understand why they didn't keep the tags open to the public and have the properties that were having issues be in contact with IDFG to help direct hunters to those areas of issue.... hell if they really want to I am sure they could sign up for "Access Yes" and it would be a win-win for all parties involved.

How come? If you were a landowner and could allow hunters to help with depredation AND have them pay you for it, wouldn’t you do that?
If I could, I would eat my cake and keep it too.

If I could, I would charge people for just looking at my property.

If I could, I would charge people for just existing, even if they never set foot on or even see my property.

If I could....

Reactions: ZBB
How come? If you were a landowner and could allow hunters to help with depredation AND have them pay you for it, wouldn’t you do that?

Why? The Wyoming already pays the landowner via the landowner coupon attached to your license. Most landowners who do charge a trespass fee charge a ridiculously high one. And if it's to access public lands they are blocking access too, they should not get a dime either way.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back