MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho $1mil elk damage paid to farmer.

Sytes

And here we thought China was to blame for farm woes... 🤣

Amazing though... Idaho's depredation account - dust in the wind.

Don McFarland filed for $1.028 million in damages due to 500 elk eating his organic Kamut wheat and organic potato crops, “compacting the soil in the process,” at his Little Camas Ranch farm in Elmore County, Idaho, the Post Register reports. The payout, which the state honored, drained the Idaho Department of Fish and Game’s (IDFG) Expendable Big Game Depredation Trust Account

I wonder how many acres he has planted that the Elk ate?
From another article.
It was an expensive lesson for Don McFarland during the 2018 growing season. Crop damage to 300 acres of organic potatoes and 800 acres of organic kamut, an ancient grain, resulted in McFarland filing a claim for $1.03 million to the Idaho Department of Fish and Game’s Expendable Big Game Depredation Account this past year.

While I think wildlife and hunters often get the short end of the stick with these state depredation programs, I understand the broader need to work cooperatively with landowners who have wildlife damage issues. I understand there is a draft bill to cap maximum claims...definitely needed...seems there should be far greater expectations of personal responsibility to protect your livelihood?

I would gladly keep hunters off and let the elk eat all they want if it’s going to get me that kinda pay out. That could pay for the farm in a one year investment. I could even afford Randy to do my taxes!

Since the fund was established in 1990, claims have increased. According to the Post Register, in 2016, there were 32 claims (resulting in a total of $359,100.01 in payouts) and, in 2018, 59 claims filed (totaling $754,833.83 in payouts).
2 years and the $$$ paid out doubled for ID, as a whole. 1 year later and one ranch/farm pulls 1 mil $.
Apparently the elk migration found the golden brick road...
Also interesting, they removed the fencing and hazing methods because Sage Grouse were unable to clear the fence.

The Idaho legislature weakened the hunter requirement for depredation payment a couple years ago and continually pushes for more payment for wildlife damage. I believe the department will now be paying for damage to irrigation equipment even... The truth is wildlife damage payments are probably being factored into farmer business plans along with the other handouts they count on.

As long as this state keeps electing farmers, ranchers and their sympathizers these things will continue and probably only get worse.

I live in an open range area. This means it is my responsibility to keep cattle and other livestock off my property by building my own fence, not the other way around. When they do the biannual cattle drives along my property, cattle owners are not liable for any damage they do to my property because it is open range. It should be the same for game. This is ridiculous.

Of they dont allow hunting to reduce numbers, they should not receive crop damage $
I agree with this 100%. The issues accrue deciding the amount of hunting needed to get payments or when the offending species can not be legally hunted on the farmers property. Some examples. Right now we have about 150 geese that are nearly ruining the first cutting of alfalfa on one field. By the time hunting season arrives those geese will be long gone eating grain somewhere else. On the Yellowstone elk are a problem in the corn fields. The corn farmers only own the bottom land fields and the uplands are owned by wealthy nonfarmers. The elk quickly learn to move into the fields after dark and leave well before light. The farmer can allow all the hunters in the state and not remove one elk.

Last edited:
Of they dont allow hunting to reduce numbers, they should not receive crop damage $
Reducing the numbers or a free for all hunting opportunity may not be the best option. We might eventually end up with nothing left to hunt. The Fish and Game are tasked with managing the animals for us. When the herds get smaller and hunters are unsuccessful. We blame the Fish and Game. This is just another way for them to do what they have to do for everyone. The farmers and ranchers need to accept some responsibility for lost due to natural influences.

Is it safe to assume that crop insurance doesn't cover wildlife damage?

Also, in South Dakota the Deer only really destroy crops in the middle of a bad winter, and more often then not they are getting into the bales the farmer has made for his cattle... How were the elk in such large numbers before he was able to harvest his crop? Or was he behind the ball on getting his crop out of the ground and took advantage of the situation?

I obviously don't have all the dirty details, but it just doesn't seem to add up... But I am also in a state with corn and beans not fancy organic ancient grains and organic potatoes...

Also interesting, they removed the fencing and hazing methods because Sage Grouse were unable to clear the fence.

I think a lot of people either didn't read the whole article, or missed the last sentence in it. Kind of puts a whole different spin on it.

Back