MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ID Moose Worth It?

406LIFE

I've applied for moose in ID for several years. This year the price increase $700 (now $2756) and the dropping odds (~30 % to 8%) has me reconsidering it all. DIY AK and NL isn't much more, but is logistically a bit more of a pain. I may be out on ID Moose, always wanted to shoot an antelope there anyway. Anyone else have thoughts?

Without otherwise hunting there and needing to buy the hunting license, it’s gotten to be too expensive to be worth my while. I figure putting that much in savings each year is better. If I lived close enough that I could apply in person and didn’t have to pay the credit card/phone fee I might reconsider. I might try it some day in a low success unit where there are high odds of drawing.

I think @Randy11 has the right idea, if it is high on your list.

For me, it is not high enough on the list to justify the sunk cost for the raffle ticket, $330. I have applied over 20 times for ID moose, in units with pretty decent odds. I've never drawn. As moose populations decline, so do tag numbers, thus my odds of drawing. It used to be about $250 sunk costs and that had me on the edge of my value proposition for Shiras moose.

I've got a couple weeks to decide, but I suspect I am going to pass this year. I hope you draw the tag I didn't apply for.

It makes more sense if you are already going to hunt Idaho. Otherwise $330 is a lot. That being said, if you want a moose and don't have a lot of points somewhere else, it is the best odds out there.

Moose is the best OIL species for NR by far for odds and opportunity.

I agree if it’s something you really want to hunt. Shiras moose I would keep applying. If not I wouldn’t waste my time the odds are worse but so is the quality and quantity of moose. I’m in north Idaho and it’s sad to see how bad some of the former great units have gotten. That said if you really want a shiras I would apply as it will probably get worse for odds and quality. It took me over 20 years to draw as resident but glad I finally got one that was 7/8 years ago

If I was a NR, it’d be tough to swallow due to the cost. Was looking at MSG units today. There are hunts where no NR has drawn a tag in over 10 years. But, at least you have a chance. Which you can’t say in other places.

I think saving for a guided goat hunt or a DIY moose hunt in AK isn’t a bad option, if those are your dream hunts.

I'm an Idaho resident. Honestly I have watched moose numbers decline over the last 20 years in my units. Last year I saw 1 bull and he was little. It was not uncommon to see 20 bulls from September to November. Reading the hunting stories on here it seams people are having less and less success with a very expensive tag. My resident friends are giving up simply because of lack of moose. I shot mine in 2014. I was glad i did since after that moose in my area started getting scarce. I looked at over 30 bulls before I shot this one.

20171211_163441.jpg

If moose is something you really want to do, then do it. We still have some moose and good ones are definitely still found. I don't want to kill your dreams. But it's not like it used to be. If you're asking if it's cost effective and you'll have a great chance at a good bull, I'd look elsewhere for a while and hope we get numbers back up with a more liberal wolf season. Just my opinion and personal observations.

Does that $330 include the annual hunting license? (I'm on top of a mountain glassing right now and can't open the PDF).
But unless you’re planning to come for small game or bears then the license won’t do you much good. NR deer and elk tags are sold out I believe. NR applying in Idaho are gonna have to start planning in December if they think then want a general season deer or elk tag or they will be left with a $330 bill and nothing good as a consolation prize.

Best chances at drawing a moose tag. I drew it last year and it was totally worth it. It was a super hard hunting but fitting for an OIL tag.

I grew up in Idaho and left to the military and luckily found myself hunting moose over the counter in Alaska on my first duty assignment... I know rough. so maybe I have a bias, but I would say if you are not already hunting Idaho then that's a lot of money for those odds. put that money to use in AK and get your moose and a grand adventure too! I feel like everyone needs to experience AK in their life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back