IBBuglers trip Update.....

YAh... One of us is... The other , is milkin' and earning, but sloppy seconds are still better then what some "others" are getting here. Hey Canoe, how's your season going again ?!?!? :D

WOW... now on to the good stuff. Just got "THE CALL". Man, It is exciting. I need to put kids to bed but I'll be back in a few

"DAY 6"

HAHA... Laid in bed for awhile and figured I wouldn't pull an "Ovis".... :p

The cell phone reception is hit and miss so he started telling me about the morning and we lost reception. Last nights talk took him calling me about 11 times. Tonight wasn't as bad. Anyways....

The morning was OK, saw some cows, Yaddy Yaddy. Buzz met him mid day and they drove around looking at ground and sharing stories and info. They came to a new spot around 4PM and there was a opening with a cow down at the end. They looked it over and figured they would go check out the area.

As they walked down, there was another opening and they saw some cows and a 330 Class bull. Worthy of taking a poke at. As they moved closer a 5 point came out into the opening. Should have been a 6, the size was all there but it only had 5 points. It walked by and ignored the 340. There were exchanges of Bugling and cows talking and the noise was on. A 6 point about the size of the 5 point came out as well. It didn't want anything to do with the 340. More talking. Then, a bull that was about 350-360 came out. Video taping was taking place as it strolled into the meadow. It walked over like the other smaller bulls but turned to the 340 to square off. It wanted the 340's cows that were all over. Not a moment later "CRASH" as they butted heads. A cow was in the way to see the actualy head banging at first but the fighting went on a good 45 seconds to a minute. Kind of like when AZ402 wrestles his wife... only longer :)

Well... I'm a bit tiered tonight unfortunately, so I'll continue tomorrow before I leave to Utah. G-night :D

HAHA.. with over 250 views from last night alone I guess the thread hanger worked ;)

I'm running out of time today so I'll let IDB tell the story when he gets back, or Buzz, both were there. Neither one killed anything, I'll let that much out. it would be crual otherwise ;) But it was some crazy action it sounded like. My feeling is today there is high probablility of carnaige.

Heading to Utah, trying to finish up a plan at the office, browtine will keep you informed on the status, Will be back Monday. Peace out............

DAY 2 (Actually Morning 1 but for ease sake I'm on Day 2)

After Ariving at the spot around 3AM, a few hours sleep and it was time to get up and chase the bulls. Before laying down for a few hours sleep there were bulls bugleing off and on right near camp. After a few Tries and no responses a few winks were needed before the morning.

The terrain was different then what we had looked at on Google earth. Harder to glass in some areas but there were Elk in there. It started off finding and area, calling, and working a bull in. It took awhile but as it got closer it was a OK 6 point bull and worthy of pictures at around 300" and and worthy of video non the less. But as it got closer, Another bull 6 point 250-260 class cut it off and came in within 10 YARDS !!!
Pretty good job on the replays moosie. I'll try and post a new video every day but we will see. This video shows a few of the bulls I called in on the first day. I never got video of the biggest bull but thats ok. With all the video I have of elk I would say I only videoed about 50% of what I encountered.

Hunting Day 1:

The first bull was called into 50 yards, second bull to 10 yards, and third bull was called in to 20 yards.

Nice.....that's good video. That's gotta be tough to go from should I shoot this to I should video this. Looks good though.

Is that off a regular video camera?

Nice.....that's good video. That's gotta be tough to go from should I shoot this to I should video this. Looks good though.

Is that off a regular video camera?
Thanks it was really hard. As you will see in later video I pretty much decided to video most of the time. Only one time did I decide to drop the camera and that was after I videoed 2 bulls fighting and the loser ran up to Buzz and I at 25 yards. We both drew but didn't have a shot. That bull was in the 350-360 range.

Camera is a cheap ol Panasonic GS15 or something like that. I go through one a year because they just don't last through all the abuse it gets.

Day 2:

The morning was real foggy so I stayed next to camp. Not much going on. I heard about 6 bugles but I chose not to chase them into a pretty nasty hole. The evening was amazing as you can see on the video. I made it to a high ridge and heard bulls bugling below. With about an hour of light left I decided to drop in after them. After 20 minutes of calling I heard my first bull coming in. I had him pass by at 20 yards and decided to drop down to the next bull bugling below. This bull walked in front of me at 5 yards and then walked all the way around the tree and came above me. From 6 yards he destroyed a tree right in front of me. With not much light left I decided to scare him off and try and call in another bull from above. With fog closing in I called this bull into 40 yards. A great ending to a great day on the hill.

P.S. The quality of the video sucks after it is downloaded on photobucket but hopefully you can kind of see what I encountered on this day.

Day 3:
The morning was a bust since it was foggy and you couldn't see anything out to 20 yards. The evening was a different story. I hiked down into a different canyon where I had never been. Finally around 5:00 I got an answer from a couple bulls. I dropped in close and started calling. Five minutes later 3 bulls head in on a sprint. 2 bulls come into 20 yards and 1 bull stops out at 50 yards. They were all small so I sneak past them and head after a couple other bulls I hear calling. 3 more bulls come out at 60 yards. All bulls must of been together and playing in the mud. I found a huge wallow where they came from. Mud was flung up into the trees 5 feet up. Pretty cool site. Right at dark I worked in on a bull with cows. The cows had me pinned down at 20 yards and I never got to see the bulls rack.

Back