I wish i had been out hunting

Squirrel season is starting don't know whether to use the H&R single barrel 410 or Remington Nylon 66 semi auto or a pellet rifle.

I need to get me a 410. I've got a Ruger 10/22 that does the job for squirrel but the loose nut behind the stock makes accuracy an issue.
With me it’s usually the “loose nut” pulling the trigger that’s the problem😉

just ordered a Benjamin Trail NP XL1100 in .22cal (almost bit on the .25) to help thin the local tree rat population👍🏻

Squirrel season is starting don't know whether to use the H&R single barrel 410 or Remington Nylon 66 semi auto or a pellet rifle.
My squirrel hunting mentor who still routinely gets his limit at 86 says "only a dog would shoot a squirrel with a shotgun." He shoots a CZ 452 varmint .22. Of course, there was this one time when we were supposed to go out the next day. He calls me the night before and says " gonna be windy tomorrow, better bring your shotgun...don't tell anyone."
I use my dad's Remington 541S. This was late last year. Only three so far this year.

Attachments

• 20200113_133828.jpg
    20200113_133828.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Why do squirrel nuts never talk about how unsafe it is to shoot a 22 into the air?
Well, I can only speak for myself. I only hunt the NF far away from any dwelling. Most of my shots, by far, are at squirrels on the ground.
But, I can appreciate your concern. I always have that in mind.

I'll add that I have holes in my storage building from a shotgun that was fired in the air near me.
I was also struck in the neck by pellets fired by a rabbit hunter who didn't know I was there. Things happen. Safety is always paramount no matter the firearm.

Last edited:
Back