I went with the Remington 700 VLS

remauto1187

I decided on the Remington 700VLS in .308 for my Elk hunt. Ordered it last week and it ran $825 but i am trading in a Sig Sauer 220st .45acp that i have $350 in and they gave me $500 trade-in on it.

Built on the famous Model 700™ cylindrical action, Remington® Varmint rifles are the most accurate production rifles we produce. You’ll be stunned by the degree of precision you get straight out of the box. The varmints won’t be so lucky.
The Model 700™ VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock) delivers tack-driving, varmint rifle accuracy with a handsome, resin-impregnated, laminated stock. Includes Monte Carlo cheekpiece, and a wide, flat, beaver tail shape fore-end for enhanced stability.
The rigid Model 700™ action is mated with a vibration-dampening 26-inch heavy varmint barrel. All metal has a richly blued, fine satin finish.
Key Features:
26" heavy contour barrel (0.820" muzzle O.D.) for the ultimate in long-range accuracy.
Concave target-style barrel crown.
Laminated stock with beavertail fore-end.

Attachments

• 700vls-prod.gif
    700vls-prod.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,577
It's tough to go wrong with a 308 and good 165 grain bullets. That's a heavy rifle, which will help with a steady shot, but it'll be heavy packing. Hope you smack a nice bull!

Nice looking rifle. Have you decided on a scope for it? I carrried a 700 LSS and and a Ruger #1 for mountain hunting a couple of years.Not disagreeing with T Bone but the weight never bothered me at all...until I carried a lighter rifle.

I havent decided yet. I've never spent more than $75 on a scope. lol But I do know that I am not going to go the cheap route with this rifle. I've had some Nikon recommendations and Ive had personally good luck with a Bushnell Banner Elite but that was on a .270 and back in late 90's. Things sure have changed with gun and scope technology.

I do agree that the weight will be alot more than i am use to. Literally all of my domestic rifles and shotguns are all synthetic stock. I have a few .22lr rifles that are wood stock and of course all of my military surplus rifles are wood. (SKS, AK, Mosin Nagant, etc.)

Last edited:
i really like the leupold vx3's. the 50 mm lens is really nice and they are great scopes for the price. and they are american made. i have them on all my rifles

Buy a good scope. I'd rather have a Stevens or Marlin XL-7 ($300 rifles) and a Leupold VX-3 than a $700 gun and a $100 scope.

When you slip on snow-covered bear grass and fall on your gun for the 15th time, you don't want to be wondering if your rifle is still on. And you earn every shot at an elk, so it is not something to take lightly.

How about a $825 rifle and a $500+ scope. Im not poor i just choose to get more bang for my buck. Hence the DIY

Can't go wrong with a Leopold. I personally don't think the 50mm is worth the extra weight. I've always been able to see past legal shooting light with the 40mm.

The larger objectives on a variable will attain the same exit pupil at a higher magnification setting. Minimal advantage IMO but I like the 50's. I personally 'think' they're brighter.

...placebo effect perhaps.;)

Last edited:
I own the VLS in 6mm Rem. Love it.
If yours shoots anything like mine, you'll love it too. The weight does keep me from using it on hike-in trips though, so it is pretty much a dedicated antelolpe killer.
Can't go wrong with a Leupold scope. Seeing as you have never used a scope over $75, some quality glass on this rifle should put you at a whole new level of shooting.

Nice pick, then again I'm a big Remington fan, my go to rifle is a 700 RMEF in 7RUM with a 4-10 x 44 zeiss conquest and it's a great setup, I have a couple Leupold VX-III's, a nikon monarch, and the zeiss conquest and they are all great scopes, tough and water-tight, I've never had good luck with any of the bargain scopes but that's just me, and I know how rough I am on stuff. But I agree with everyone saying you get what you pay for when it comes to your glass. So don't cut yourself short there.

Back