Caribou Gear

I want to get started in elk hunting and need some advice

Ladykiller

First off, I just moved to Washington from the Midwest, so obviously WA will probably be my first choice of states to hunt. I’m open to hunting other states as well however. I just don’t know which ones to apply to yet. I’d prefer archery or rifle, but will buy a muzzleloader if I have to in order to improve my odds. I’m just not a muzzleloader fan. I’d actually prefer to hunt with my crossbow over my compound bow. Any thoughts on other states to hunt considering the criteria below?

Second, I’m 41 and not in the best shape, but I plan on working on that. I’ve had my knee meniscus repaired twice and am not sure about steep terrain yet, so that might limit my options on where to hunt. Any states/regions offer easier areas to hike into?

Third, I’d like to maybe find some people to hunt with. The further from civilization, the more this makes sense for safety reasons. What’s the best way to meet people to hunt elk with since I know no one here in WA?

Lastly, I have no problem going on a cow hunt. So that will improve my odds as well I imagine?

Read the regulations for each state you might be interested in - that will give you an idea on seasons and permits for archery and rifle and areas of each state, cow or bull, draw lottery, or points. Look up Randy's how to e-scout. Get a plan or direction. After plan for the season, example: archery hunt, WA, hunt dates and units, then ask a more specific question to your plan, if anyone has insight for that area or would like to join you on a hunt. Looked into BHA in Washington, talk to the local game wardens.

I thought this forum would be helpful. Apparently that's not the case.

Keep in mind its archery season in most states, many of us are out doing that. So patience, Padawan.

There are some WA Elk Groups on FB you can get connected with some guys. There are a few WA on here too. Offer beer and they will come. You're probably behind the curve for this year, but it would be worth it to get out there and start learning country.

There are plenty of Elk calling and info websites out there: Roe Hunting, Elk101, Elknut. Start learning.

Patience man... You're asking general elk hunting questions in September. This is the time of year (elk rut) we've been waiting the last 11 months for. If we're not out in the woods hunting right now, we're thinking about it or we're counting down the days/hours until we leave to hunt (I leave in just over 30 hours).

Randy Newberg has an entire video series (22 videos alone on Tags, Drawings, and Applications available on YouTube) that discusses each states drawing system and information on how to hunt elk every year, give that a look.

Some of your other questions are difficult to give specific answers to. Examples; Wyoming allows crossbows during archery - but I don't know what other states do or do not. We do not have a separate muzzleloader season, but Colorado does.

Around here, easier hiking to hunt elk usually equates to late season cow rifle hunts after snow pushes them out of the higher country - but you run the risk of getting snowed out due to road closures. I've found people to hunt with at work, forums such as this one and by getting involved in local venues such as the archery range or little league. Feel free to do a little research on your own before shot gunning general questions on a hunting forum and expect detailed answers in less than 24 hours. Good luck.

"Ladykiller" as a username--boss move. I'm going to have to borrow that...

My advice to you is to wait longer than 18 hours before going sour and trying to shame the entire community for not dropping everything they're doing to fawn over your second post. Good luck.

Well stirring the pot seems to work ;)

I honestly did think that maybe some guys were out hunting elk, but I also figured not everyone had a tag and I would get some responses by the next day based on traffic on other threads that I have seen on this forum.

I don't plan on hunting this year at all. I'm taking this first year off to just learn. Plus, I'm still a non-resident at the moment in WA, so I'll get hit with higher fees.

I have been listening to a lot of Randy's podcasts, I just have not made it through all of them yet.

Thanks for the info so far. General answers were all I was looking for since I just had general questions. I'll worry about specifics later. Basically I am just a bit overwhelmed at this point with approximately 10 states to choose from for elk. So needless to say, I'm looking for a way to whittle it down and in the right direction.

Well stirring the pot seems to work ;)

I honestly did think that maybe some guys were out hunting elk, but I also figured not everyone had a tag and I would get some responses by the next day based on traffic on other threads that I have seen on this forum.

I don't plan on hunting this year at all. I'm taking this first year off to just learn. Plus, I'm still a non-resident at the moment in WA, so I'll get hit with higher fees.

I have been listening to a lot of Randy's podcasts, I just have not made it through all of them yet.

Thanks for the info so far. General answers were all I was looking for since I just had general questions. I'll worry about specifics later. Basically I am just a bit overwhelmed at this point with approximately 10 states to choose from for elk. So needless to say, I'm looking for a way to whittle it down and in the right direction.

It is very overwhelming. I have not made it out elk hunting yet either. I'm a midwestener and have contemplated/wanted to for the last 9 or so years but haven't don't anything but get discouraged by researching. I've come to realize that I wasted so many years of elk hunting experience and probably a good chance at shooting an elk by putting it off. I've decided to dive right in and see what happens. Worst that can happen is I come home whipped with an unpunched tag. But that experience, I believe, will pay dividends for me in the future. Good luck!

My two cents..

Learn the regulations and draw system for your new state first, unless you are on the border with another state that has better hunting closer. Then begin driving, hiking, backpacking, fishing, scouting the nearest area to you where you can most easily get an elk tag (bull or cow). There is no substitute for boots on the ground.

Then jealously guard the area specific information you've learned.

If you aren't going to hunt this year, scout. Scouting during the actual elk season will be very valuable for next year.

Go on a guided cow hunt. Cheap and you’ll learn a ton about elk, what is physically required and how your gear is stacks up. You’ll also have someone there with you. Then you can try your hand at DIY.

Idaho is not cross bow friendly for big game. They have limited muzzle loader hunts. They have restricted uses with muzzle loaders on powders, sites, caps and so forth.
Good info so far. Get some experience with the land, units to hunt and get into shape work on those knees..

Alright, good advice so far. I think the most important things so far are:

1) Hunt local (Washington) to keep costs low and hunting/scouting time high.

2) Maybe go on a guided cow hunt (if I can find one cheap enough. so far no luck).

3) Get out and scout.

Now it's time for me to dive into the regulations, websites, etc to learn as much as I can virtually.

Also, anyone recall any threads for gear? I'm a whitetail hunter, so I have some gear, but I know I'll need to buy some new gear such as a pack and bags to get the meat out.

Head over to Randy's Youtube Channel and watch his bag dumps and all of the videos for that matter. Gear is all dependent how you want to hunt. A good pair of boots and a good pack are essentials. Their is a lot on Randy's Youtube channel that will be helpful to you and answer almost any elk hunting related question.

I'm a newbie to, last year was my first time. Here is a write up I did about what we learned.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...rom-My-First-Hunt!-(Kill-Shot-Video-Included)

We drew elk again this year, and mule deer. I hope we are successful again. Just pick a place and go buddy, I always made excuses. Your off on the right foot listening to podcast and such.

Great writeup Godsstepbrother. I too have more stories of what I did wrong vs. what I did right my first few years. Steep learning curve. I would say the most important thing is read the fish and game book cover to cover each year for the first few years. Its fine to go home without an animal but don't go home with a slap on the wrist or worse. Im crazy about the rules as I don't want to be that guy that loses hunting rights for some dumb rule that I thought was ok because its legal in my state. Each state has different rules and some are contradictory so call the game warden any time you have a question. 9 out of 10 are great to talk to and will bluntly answer your questions. When I think they are wrong or giving me "what they would do" advice I follow up with an email to get it in writing. Of course there is that occasional one that wont answer or wont give you any of their time. Just call a different one. Good luck.

I strongly recommend becoming a gohunt subscriber. it will help you so much in learning about every state. I've wanted to go for 5 years now, and now that my kids are in school my wife has given me the green light to leave and spend the money and time away. gohunt is worth a lot and will save you hours of trying to find info on all the states regulations. also if you can afford it go on a guided hunt like suggested. I personally do not like fishing or hunting with guides so my first elk hunt will be a DIY in 2019. I'd rather learn on my own and fail then be successful with a guide and not have as much fun. not saying you cant have a great time on a guided hunt, I just haven't had as much fun doing other guided trips as I do hunting on my own. Just go and do it. don't wait around like so many of us do

Hi Ladykiller.

I'm from the midwest also but moved south. I kinda envey you having moved west where there are Elk. I'm told by a friend who moved to Washington State that there are 2 kinds of Elk in Washington. My friend is in the NW part of the state which is basically a rainforest so is pretty thick woods and brush. One problem with Elk hunting is that Elk for the most part seem to live at fairly high elevation so having a bad knee or knees is definitely a problem. Also most western states are not real crossbow friendly. You can use a crossbow in some states out west but only during the Rifle or "anyweapon" season. So my logic anyway would have me using a rifle instead.

Some states like someone mentioned previously have a Muzzleloader season such as Colorado. In some states there is no real advantage to use a Muzzleloader but in Colorado you can use a muzzleloader during the Archery season and for me that would give one some advantage. However in Colorado there is no OCT (over the counter) tag for muzzleloader season. You must participate in their draw license program to hunt with a muzzleloader. Of course you can hunt with a muzzleloader during the rifle season in most states but if you are not a big muzzleloader fan there would be no advantage.

First off, certainly get involved in your New states Draw tag system. If there is a local hunting or wildlife club get involved with them and maybe someone will show you the "ropes" of hunting Elk in your state.

What you might look at doing is getting a Spike Tag in Utah. You don't have to be in their draw program to get a spike tag. Getting a spike tag allows you to hunt in the limited units in Utah where there are lots of big bulls. You can't hunt the big bulls but you could learn a lot and likely see a lot of Elk and maybe get a spike as well.

I don't know your physical fitness level but the more time you spend getting yourself fit the easier it will be on you when you hunt. The less you weigh the easier it is on your knees
and the easier it is to hike the mountains. Nothing is better than getting out there hiking the trails but when you can't a bike trainer or stairclimber type machine is a good low impact tool for helping one get fit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back