I should apologize to Randy for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was afraid this would open a can of worms that's why I said sorry Randy 1st
I believe in God and his son Jesus Christ but you don't have to just treat people right and have respect for your fellow man. I wish I had a better Idea on why this crap happens but I did want to know what others on here thought. Some of the folks that have commented are guys that I've have good conversations on here about other subjects over the yrs thanks for chiming in
I do think that we have lost the Idea that all human life has value even if that person totally disagrees with the things we believe in Then I think some believe they are an enemy and that's sad. I was raised in a home with having a spirited debate was good and we didnt have to scream at each other to make a point

I don't think it's accurate to say that as a society we've lost the idea that human life has value. There are some extremely troubled people out there that don't value it, but I believe that Americans generally agree on the sanctity of life. I think we're at an interesting time as a society. @MTGomer mentioned earlier that we have it better than any other time in human history and I agree, and maybe that lack of historical adversity impacts our perception of how good life actually is.

I think in our over-saturated media/ entertainment world it's easy to lament on where we go from here. When I was a kid we had idealic visions of a Jetson-like future. Well we're approaching the era that the Jetsons was fictionally set in and many suspect it will be more of a Flintsones type world. I suspect we'll be somewhere in between, not so far from where we are today.

I also think a lot of the partisan divide comes from the extremes, and it's incumbent on us all to combat that. On one side we have folks with a psuedo- jingoistic approach and any criticism of America is an unpatriotic attack. On the other side we have a contingent of folks intent on self flagellation for sins of the past. America was never wholly evil or wholly virtuous, but it's the definitely the most interesting/ beautiful experiment in governance in human history. Solutions are out there. They just won't come from the folks who froth at the mouth over culture war issues.

What are you even talking about? Are you fantasizing about being in prison with me? Gross.

I know you know that state governments, like the Oregon dems, have a say in prison system budgets, etc. But in Oregon people don't believe in prisons. We instead like to watch the news every night about some homeless dude/sex offender roaming outside an elementary school. Good times.
Excuse me? People in Oregon don't believe in prisons?

Well that's curious because you have 15,000 people locked up somewhere in Oregon. Maybe they're just chained up on bike racks.

And back to my point earlier about this is Gov that won’t allow what we need.

Consequences persuade actions. I firmly believe, until we have real consequences that persuade this particular action it will continue.

As of now we don’t have enough teeth to do what needs to be done. We are like a dog on the end of the chain barking and accomplishing nothing by discussing why a chain and not a cable? Maybe if the dog was on a leash? Or if it was just a fenced in yard it would be better. Does the dog not preach god?

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
A thousand years of European history proved without question that quartering and disembowlment did nothing to make for a less violent society.

I fully appreciate the service our our armed forces, but war is very different than civil settings. The Nathan R Jessup bravado crap has no place in a civil society. I have decorated veterans and LEOs in my family and they would laugh their asses off at your post.

Right...there's more people in prison in the U.S. than China, Iran, and Russia. We don't punish offenders, but we're clearly punishing somebody.

Top 10 Countries with the most people in prison​

1. United States — 2,068,800
  2. China — 1,690,000
  3. Brazil — 811,707
  4. India — 478,600
  5. Russia — 471,490
  6. Thailand — 309,282
  7. Turkey — 291,198
  8. Indonesia — 266,259
  9. Mexico — 220,866
  10. Iran — 189,000
Some of those countries just kill people instead of putting them in prison. I wonder if the United States would be at the top of this list for single parent households as well.

Educate me. When did the Dems take over Oregon?
I think a lot of our perceptions are coming from 1) more humans 2) immediate access to information 3) our preference for shocking stuff because our lives are generally pretty boring.

View attachment 270352

4. It's no longer a crime if you legalize it.
5. It's no longer a crime if the police won't even come out to investigate it.

QQ

This mass-shooting trend is a hate-filled, deeply angry and rightfully frightening evolution of suicide-by-cop.
Right, so how do we create a stiffer penalty that will frighten those hate filled and deeply angry people from committing mass murder?

They've already concluded they're going to die...you're going to have to do a lot of talking to convince me that any kind of stiffer penalty than that is going to deter them.

That's where they have the biggest advantage, they don't expect to go home at the end of their "shift"...

Some of those countries just kill people instead of putting them in prison. I wonder if the United States would be at the top of this list for single parent households as well.
Hate to burst your bubble on this, but the majority of women forced to have babies since Dobbs aren't gonna be raising those kids in happy dual-parent homes. I'm ignoring nuance, because that's par for the course in the dumpster fire these "discussions" inevitably devolve into, but I don't think it's been said yet so what the hell.

A thousand years of European history proved without question that quartering and disembowlment did nothing to make for a less violent society.

I fully appreciate the service our our armed forces, but war is very different than civil settings. The Nathan R Jessup bravado crap has no place in a civil society. I have decorated veterans and LEOs in my family and they would laugh their asses off at your post.
That history had much different circumstances for the population. This population is not under those same constraints.

I bet they would not laugh as hard as you think if you asked: Your kid dies in a shooting or the shooter looses his or her rights and gets made a public example of.

It doesn’t have to be Braveheart even though I believe that would get the point across. But it does need to be severe enough to persuade the action.

How about?
You immediately become a domestic terrorist, loose all rights, and you AND your family in the case of your death are civilly liable for everything.

Hate to burst your bubble on this, but the majority of women forced to have babies since Dobbs aren't gonna be raising those kids in happy dual-parent homes. I'm ignoring nuance, because that's par for the course in the dumpster fire these "discussions" inevitably devolve into, but I don't think it's been said yet so what the hell.
Blame the government and not the choices people make. Classic.
I don't agree with the Dobbs ruling but folks can cross state lines and still get an abortion Cheaper than the cell phone they have in their hand.

Right...there's more people in prison in the U.S. than China, Iran, and Russia. We don't punish offenders, but we're clearly punishing somebody.

Top 10 Countries with the most people in prison​

1. United States — 2,068,800
  2. China — 1,690,000
  3. Brazil — 811,707
  4. India — 478,600
  5. Russia — 471,490
  6. Thailand — 309,282
  7. Turkey — 291,198
  8. Indonesia — 266,259
  9. Mexico — 220,866
  10. Iran — 189,000
Buzz, just because they are not in prison doesn't mean they were not punished

That history had much different circumstances for the population. This population is not under those same constraints.

I bet they would not laugh as hard as you think if you asked: Your kid dies in a shooting or the shooter looses his or her rights and gets made a public example of.

It doesn’t have to be Braveheart even though I believe that would get the point across. But it does need to be severe enough to persuade the action.

How about?
You immediately become a domestic terrorist, loose all rights, and you AND your family in the case of your death are civilly liable for everything.
Sociopaths don’t care. The criminally insane don’t care. Those seeking glory and/or vengeance don’t care. Hell a fair number of these crazies killed their family before going on the rampage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back