I should apologize to Randy for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
What element are people who are in prison for non violent drug offenses around? Do you think prison reforms these people, helps with their drug addictions, and makes it easier or harder for them once they get out of prison to become a valuable member of society?

In Oregon a lot of those (repeat) non violent drug offenders are living on the streets. Catch and release with zero bond doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: There are also "nonprofit" groups who work on getting violent criminals released. And then sometimes you read they went out and committed more of the same crime, or even murdered someone.

I'd give them a high-quality jury trial within 60 days. One very rigorous round of appeals within the next 9 months and then to the table/chamber within the year. I would do it as retribution and recidivism prevention. I would have no illusion it would stop the next kid killer.
My example would be much much different. Think braveheart.

In Oregon a lot of those (repeat) non violent drug offenders are living on the streets. Catch and release with zero bond doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: There are also "nonprofit" groups who work on getting violent criminals released. And then sometimes you read they went out and committed more of the same crime, or even murdered someone.
So, apparently prison time is really working for those non violent offenders.

Got it.

Lots of good examples of those nonprofit groups getting off innocent folks.

Also lots of Christian groups that are pushing for significant prison reform - this is not just a liberal issue.

Yet, we spend more time, effort, and money...and voting for people, who devote their time pretty evenly between banning books and drag shows, than caring about gun violence.

I think parents should be able to have a say in all of those things. What exactly they say about them in public school board meetings, however, is out of my wheelhouse right now.

So, apparently prison time is really working for those non violent offenders.

Got it.
No, they spend little to no jail time. Caught doing stupid stuff because they're higher than a kite, then they're released back onto the streets, then they do it again. Over and over.

I think parents should be able to have a say in all of those things. What exactly they say about them in public school board meetings, however, is out of my wheelhouse right now.
Most parents have a lot more on their plate than a book on a shelf of a library their kids probably couldn't find. My kid's school had a glorious library - the finest money could buy. Neither of them lifted a book off a shelf in 12 years of attendance. This is phony drama.

When I came on the forum this morning it had one reply, I suspected it would kick off with plenty of differing views.
I read a bit then a topic crept in so I stopped reading.
However, I just thought I would leave you with this stat where I live in a country of 70 million
Cheers
Richard

No, they spend little to no jail time. Caught doing stupid stuff because they're higher than a kite, then they're released back onto the streets, then they do it again. Over and over.

Sure but our counties down here keep voting down jail expansion bonds. I imagine it's pretty universal. They want these folks in jail but the jail is chronically full and they don't want to pay to build a bigger one.

Most parents have a lot more on their plate than a book on a shelf of a library their kids probably couldn't find. My kid's school had a glorious library - the finest money could buy. Neither of them lifted a book off a shelf in 12 years of attendance. This is phony drama.

You might think differently if you'd been to an elementary school library I was recently in. Front and center.

Like I said, sounds like prison is working wonders for those non violent offenders.

Lets keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Name for that...

Sure but our counties down here keep voting down jail expansion bonds. I imagine it's pretty universal. They want these folks in jail but the jail is chronically full and they don't want to pay to build a bigger one.

They don't want it bad enough yet. Crimes of all sorts will have to get worse, and then they'll either vote for a new jail, or move away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back