Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

I pointer - Buzz , natural resouce grad schools ?

sdgunslinger

My oldest daughter has got her BS degree in geology and wants to go for her masters , most likley in one of the natural resouce fields ,although she is pretty confused at this point . I suggested forestry and/or range management , and she is possibly interested in those areas.........she would definately like to locate somewhere in the Rocky mountain area ........so I was wondering if you would have any suggestions for a good school to pursue a masters .......?.......in one of the natural resouce fields ........?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-27-2003 09:54: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]</font>

I'm kind of partial to the University of Montana. I think they have pretty good Natural Resource schools...Wildlife, Forestry, etc. Of course there is also Montana State University, that other MT University. I've heard that the alumni of MSU are lacking of character when compared to graduates of the University of Montana...and I've found that be mostly true.
biggrin.gif

Plus, MSU's various sports teams usually take a severe pounding at the hands of the U of M.
wink.gif

First off, my suggestion for her is to look into the type of research different people are doing and find the people that are doing what she is wanting to do. Next, find out what school they are at. I know it sounds kinda backwards, but what the prof's research background is, IMO, much more important than the particular school.

Just a word of warning, many schools are starting to integrate the natural resource departments. Take Utah St. for instance, there is no longer seperate depts. for forestry, wildlife, or range. They are now all the same dept.

If she doesn't know exactly what she wants to do, have her start checking the different university websites. Have her look the the research interests of professors in the natural resources departments. Hopefully, she'll start seeing something that looks fun/cool/interesting that she'd like to work on. I do know that USU has a bunch of profs that are incorporating NR management with satellite imagery and aerial photos. If she's has much exposure to GIS in her geology she might think of going that direction.

I'd be leary about sending her to either of those MT schools. I know the sheep are awful skittish there!!!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Colorado State has an extensive Natural Resources program, with separate departments in forestry, wildlife, range ecology, etc. CSU receives a very large amount of grant money each year, which results in a lot of graduate research. I would really have to agree with 1_p, though. Have her find the professor that is doing the research she's interested in, and go from there. I know that on the CSU web page, there are profiles of the professors, along with the research they are currently doing.

CSU College of Natural Resources

Oak

Buzz.. Of course you have your head up your ass on this one. MSU is hands down the superior University, as are the alumni. As per the sports teams, MSU won the last football game and both men's and women's basketball last weekend.

Greenhorn, I just have a question, or two...What team represented the Big Sky Conference in both Basketball and Football last year in the big show? Yeah, thats what I thought. I also wonder what football team it was that has won a couple National titles? I cant recall, maybe you can remember?

As to this year, you got me on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back