I owe it all to my granddad ...

Lv2hnt

To follow up on Randy's thread about super Mary ...

I can't keep from thinking back to the great times I've spent in the Arizona outdoors, all owed to the man who planted that seed in my heart so many years ago. Growing up, I lived several hours from my granddad Riley (a former Missouri farmer who plowed his fields with mules), and would get to see him every 2-3 months. My fondest memory is bee-lining straight to his den --- supper time would find my mom having to pry me away from his pile of past issues of Outdoor Life magazine!

There's SO much I could re-tell, but suffice it to say Granddad loved deer hunting, and his favorite spot was the North Kaibab. I couldn't tell you how many times he made the long trip from Phoenix (he started hunting there in the '40s), but back then it took them s-e-v-e-r-a-l days to get there driving a 4-door touring sedan on rutted dirt roads. The last trip he made there was with his long-time hunting partner George when they were both in their '70s. And wouldn't you know it, they both tagged out on 3-point "meat bucks" by mid-morning on opening day.

Growing up a farmer, Granddad never considered himself a trophy hunter, but he sure smiled anytime he spied a photo of a b-i-g Kaibab mule deer buck! In his late '60s, he did "get lucky" (his words) on one old non-typical Kaibab buck, though --- the horns of that buck I see every day I walk into my office at home (see below).

I'm dedicating my desert sheep hunt (starts Dec. 1) to the best grandfather a guy could ever want! And I'm taking along his well-worn pair of 6x30 Bausch & Lomb, made in America, individual eye focus, all-steel, binoculars.

Miss you, Granddad ... and thanks!

Attachments

• Hunt - Granddad's 6x30 Bausch & Lomb binos.JPG
    Hunt - Granddad's 6x30 Bausch & Lomb binos.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 574
  • Hunt - Granddad's last buck .JPG
    Hunt - Granddad's last buck .JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 571
  • Hunt - Granddad's last buck front close.JPG
    Hunt - Granddad's last buck front close.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 567
  • Hunt - Granddad's last buck left close.JPG
    Hunt - Granddad's last buck left close.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 565
  • Hunt - Granddad's last buck right close.JPG
    Hunt - Granddad's last buck right close.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 570
Great tribute to your grandfather. Most of us are in deep gratitude to a "granddad Riley." Shoot a great ram and bring a smile to his face as he watches down on you.

Good luck on your ram hunt. Make sure and get some trophy pics with those binos on your ram!

Neat that you have a couple of mementos from your granddad's hunting career.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mallardman1911
Back