I need tires, what's the recommendation?

I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my f150 and they have been the best tire I have ever had for normal driving with alot of driving in snow and in rough trails. I constantly ran into issues of flats with previous tires and this set in 35k miles have had no issues and get great traction.

Are you guys buying the Falkens from local shops or buying them online and finding a local place to out them on? Have an F150 and want to get some good tires for highway but also forest service type roads

I like my KO2s on my tundra. Theyre good on the highway and solid off-road. Haven’t gotten into anything crazy but they perform well in snow storms, on service roads, and have held up to riding over shale.

Like any tire, they have their limitations (Ice)

You know what they say......"Once you go Duratrac you'll never go back."
For snow, maybe, but for anything else, they suck. Granted, they were on my Cummins, and it's a heavy truck, but them dang duracraps wore down fast, and when they were not quite half way gone, they sounded like a full blown TSL bogger going down the highway and they were way too soft to be used off road, even with airing down, I still ended up with rocks puncturing the tires and or cutting the sidewalls. There is quite a few tires that are way better than the duracraps.

For snow, maybe, but for anything else, they suck. Granted, they were on my Cummins, and it's a heavy truck, but them dang duracraps wore down fast, and when they were not quite half way gone, they sounded like a full blown TSL bogger going down the highway and they were way too soft to be used off road, even with airing down, I still ended up with rocks puncturing the tires and or cutting the sidewalls. There is quite a few tires that are way better than the duracraps.
I wouldn’t use them for towing with a diesel either, but for deep snow with a half ton they’re pretty damn good.

Are you guys buying the Falkens from local shops or buying them online and finding a local place to out them on? Have an F150 and want to get some good tires for highway but also forest service type roads
I got my newest set at Roemer’s Point S in Missoula today. Thought the price was pretty reasonable and included the install.

Shops around here charge a pretty penny to install tires bought elsewhere.

I guess it’s laughable, but I’ve worn out multiple sets of Hankook ATMs, original BFG KO, a few sets of Cooper AT3s, Cooper ST Maxx, and Duratracs. The Duratracs are still my favorite tires in snow for my hunting rig, which is a (very feminine) Tundra. I’d like to try the Falkens to compare.

I guess it’s laughable, but I’ve worn out multiple sets of Hankook ATMs, original BFG KO, a few sets of Cooper AT3s, Cooper ST Maxx, and Duratracs. The Duratracs are still my favorite tires in snow for my hunting rig, which is a (very feminine) Tundra. I’d like to try the Falkens to compare.
I’ve never had anything but Falkens on my current girlyman ‘96 Tacoma, so can’t compare. But, I did put 60k plus on the last set and still could have stretched them out longer. Never got a flat and tend to push things kinda hard on backroads. Did get a sidewall flapper from a rock ledge once Baja’ing around like an idiot, but it was covered under warranty. They do pretty well in the snow despite my wide open differentials too. Worth a shot if you find a nice price.

I’ve never had anything but Falkens on my current girlyman ‘96 Tacoma, so can’t compare. But, I did put 60k plus on the last set and still could have stretched them out longer. Never got a flat and tend to push things kinda hard on backroads. Did get a sidewall flapper from a rock ledge once Baja’ing around like an idiot, but it was covered under warranty. They do pretty well in the snow despite my wide open differentials too. Worth a shot if you find a nice price.
My buddy has a set and really likes them a lot, better than the ST Maxx on his work truck. I do want to try them.

I’ve worn out a half dozen sets of Duratracs, some KO2s, Cooper ST, Toyo, Hankook, General Grabber ATX, Cooper AT3, and others I can’t remember.

A few absolutes come out of those sets. 1) the Cummins diesels I drove for 20 years chewed up every tire I put on them, including Toyo M55. 2) No tire is good at everything. 3) Any tire is loud if the front end is loose and won’t hold alignment.

I’ve worn out a half dozen sets of Duratracs, some KO2s, Cooper ST, Toyo, Hankook, General Grabber ATX, Cooper AT3, and others I can’t remember.

A few absolutes come out of those sets. 1) the Cummins diesels I drove for 20 years chewed up every tire I put on them, including Toyo M55. 2) No tire is good at everything. 3) Any tire is loud if the front end is loose and won’t hold alignment.
My front end is tight, and surprisingly, the Nitto Ridge Grappler's I have on my truck are doing really good, even with some heavy towing. I've read a lot of reviews about it and it was all mixed, and I've had good luck in all conditions with them. Now a friend of mine, has them on his trail rated mini van aka Jeep unlimited, and he likes them, except for snow, the sidewalls are way too stiff and when aired down, they don't actually flex. Now on my heep, I run the BFG Ko's and love them as a great all around tire, except mud...

My local tire guy said go with the KO2s, and he supplies most of the ranchers so that's what we did. No flats on some pretty rough stuff. My buddy has the Falkens and he likes them too.

Tire threads are great. You see advice from people that have used a lot of different tires. Then they say that tire X fulfills their needs and was the best they had but are still searching. I have used basically three different tires since the 90's on my pickups. Trust the guys that use something and then use it again. And again. mtmuley

Tire threads are great. You see advice from people that have used a lot of different tires. Then they say that tire X fulfills their needs and was the best they had but are still searching. I have used basically three different tires since the 90's on my pickups. Trust the guys that use something and then use it again. And again. mtmuley

I certainly fit that mould. KO2 have been my mainstay for a long, long time. I don't know how many I've bought but more than a couple sets. Still, there is new stuff to learn.

That said, this thread has me leaning to
KO2s again
Falken's - at least take a peek at them
Cooper Discoverer AT3/4S

Probably in that order. Later this week, I'll hit the tire stores in the area. I'd like to buy local but I have no idea what availability is out there. My old tire guy is gone, so I'll be exploring new retail territory too.

But tomorrow, a long run up north and back. ~800 miles. Probably their last trip.

Back