Yeti GOBOX Collection

I need tires, what's the recommendation?

Those nokian outposts were on the short list of tires to try when I was shopping for tires last summer. I couldn't find them in stock anywhere and ended up with another set of toyo at3's. They do come in quite light at their sizes.

I'm getting a set of the Toyo RT Trails installed this week. They're expensive, and I'm a little nervous about how they'll do as a winter tire, but I like the sidewall thickness to weight ratio on them.

They're new enough that unfortunately there's not much for reviews on them.

If it’s got BFG on the sidewall it’s a good tire.
I had AT3 on the dodge I just got rid of. I didn’t have a problem with flats but I did with traction especially in snow, could have been the pickup too.

If no one ever tried anything new, Hammer Bullets wouldn’t exist. Glad your tires work for you.
You talking to me? Say so if you are. Not sure what Hammers have to do with tires but carry on. Maybe explain how to fix a door. mtmuley

You talking to me? Say so if you are. Not sure what Hammers have to do with tires but carry on. Maybe explain how to fix a door. mtmuley
Why yes bro, I was referring to your post.

Hammers were a new product in a field of excellent bullets. Why try them
when we already had Barnes and Accubonds? Trying new things isn’t always bad, and allowed Hammer to break into the big time.

Never claimed to be an expert on doors. Douglas asked me so I gave my opinion. More than you offered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had AT3 on the dodge I just got rid of. I didn’t have a problem with flats but I did with traction especially in snow, could have been the pickup too.
Coopers right? I used to work with a guy from the Army that had a yellow Ranger. He swore by Coopers. Good tires, never tried them in snow. I had a K5 Blazer many moons ago that had worn dry rotted BFGs and it would climb a phone pole if I needed. I’m actually considering getting a second set of rims and tires for hunting season which will have BFGs.

I'm getting a set of the Toyo RT Trails installed this week. They're expensive, and I'm a little nervous about how they'll do as a winter tire, but I like the sidewall thickness to weight ratio on them.

They're new enough that unfortunately there's not much for reviews on them.
Those are a good looking tire. I ruled them out pretty quick because of snow/ice concerns. I bet they’ll be great in mud and deep snow

Coopers right? I used to work with a guy from the Army that had a yellow Ranger. He swore by Coopers. Good tires, never tried them in snow. I had a K5 Blazer many moons ago that had worn dry rotted BFGs and it would climb a phone pole if I needed. I’m actually considering getting a second set of rims and tires for hunting season which will have BFGs.
Yes coopers. I should have said that.

Someday we must meet up and talk tires. mtmuley
Love to. I’ve probably tried about two dozen different ones over the years. Cooper Discoverer ST and BFG KO2 have warranted repeat purchases, with the winner the Goodyear Duratracs. They’ve improved the rubber compound quite a lot since it first came out.

Those nokian outposts were on the short list of tires to try when I was shopping for tires last summer. I couldn't find them in stock anywhere and ended up with another set of toyo at3's. They do come in quite light at their sizes.
Discount Tire has the AT in stock. No one local has the NAT in stock yet. The NAT is supposedly a more aggressive tread design.

Love to. I’ve probably tried about two dozen different ones over the years. Cooper Discoverer ST and BFG KO2 have warranted repeat purchases, with the winner the Goodyear Duratracs. They’ve improved the rubber compound quite a lot since it first came out.
Listen to the expert.... Funny. mtmuley

I’m over 40k on my current set and will replace these in October, barring any flats between now and then. Right now, these are the top 5:

IMG_6534.pngIMG_6535.pngIMG_6537.pngIMG_6538.pngIMG_6539.png

Whatever I get will be three peak rated. Handling on snow and ice is my biggest priority, hands down.

The Mickey is probably the best off road tire of the bunch, followed by the Maxxis. The Maxxis is a bit of an unknown but every single person I’ve talked to that has them loves them. They have a very good following in Australia and Africa, and appears is more popular than the KO2.

The Nokian is the lightest. Mickey is the heaviest. All five have very good treadwear warranty. Mickey and Maxxis are probably best for sidewalls.

The Coopers are a dark horse. They are a great all around tire, but last set I had I lost two to flats. This was on a Dodge Cummins, so there is that.

The Nokian and Maxxis really interest me. And then the KO2 is just solid. Outstanding in snow and ice.

Shit tires are expensive…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back