I just received my pre-owned 1990-vintage Mossberg 500A1 via Internet order today but some bad news!

It was the 1990-quality trademark style and stamping, not produced by punky geeky millennials, along with deep blue finish and checkered wood stock that hooked me on this gun like a hungry King salmon to a Pink Lady lure. Even if I had bought this gun at a pawn shop, I probably would have missed the choke tube in the wrong place at inspection but i certainly would not have missed that scratch. My naked eyes have a much broader field of view than James Mitchell's camera. I've looked at current-production Mossbergs already and don't like them for cosmetics.
Us gosh darned millennials... probably some punky geeky 27-45 year old like me that stuffed a choke tube up the ass end of that fine piece of gunsmithing on ya

How would a choke tube get stuck in there, wouldn't the forcing cone be quite a bit bigger in diameter. Guess I wouldn't know unless I tries it.

Us gosh darned millennials... probably some punky geeky 27-45 year old like me that stuffed a choke tube up the ass end of that fine piece of gunsmithing on ya
It might have been the next younger generation? What do they call them, Z??

Oh, by the way, I deleted the seller's F rating I gave him at GB. I'll be fair and give him a chance to make good and see what he does for me first. The choke in the chamber might have been an honest mistake on his part. I still think he left the scratch out of the photos on porpoise, the sly slippery fish!

How would a choke tube get stuck in there, wouldn't the forcing cone be quite a bit bigger in diameter. Guess I wouldn't know unless I tries it.
Depends on the thickness of the choke tube. They may vary from one gun make to the next. Apparently, it's a Goldilocks choke tube. Just the right OD to get stuck there with no easy removal. For all I know it could even be rusted in there.

Hey I have one of those marketed by Coast to Coast as the Master Mag. Bought it when I was a freshman in high school new for $99. (1977). Sonny beach that gun has shot a lot of birds. Killed a limit of ducks with it on Thursday. I know it’s a piece of chit but it’s my piece of chit.

Hey I have one of those marketed by Coast to Coast as the Master Mag. Bought it when I was a freshman in high school new for $99. (1977). Sonny beach that gun has shot a lot of birds. Killed a limit of ducks with it on Thursday. I know it’s a piece of chit but it’s my piece of chit.
Well, it must be a good piece of chit to have taken that much game. I know the scratch on the side of my gun and the misplaced choke tube aren't Mossberg & Sons' fault. I bought two new Mossy pumps in the 1990's and know that for a fact, Jack. The rubber recoil pad on my latest Mossy is also hard as a rock and has sharp edges. It might be an aftermarket pad. It hurts my shoulder just to throw the gun up to it. A cushier pad is in order.

It seems like my two 1990's Mossy's with stock recoil pads were much softer. I fired the Mossy 500 home defender I bought new in 1995 with 3" double-aught-buck and no pain in my shoulder at all to my surprise. My Remmy 870 Express police pump actually pushes harder against my shoulder with only 2 3/4" 00-Buck. It has a thick buttery foam recoil pad with the Remington trademark on it. Doesn't hurt but gives a rude push.

That's a birch stock stained brown. The "checkering" is stamped into the wood, not cut. That metal finish more closely resembles spray paint than "rich blueing." That gun stinks of "cheap."

Two years ago I bought a 1961 Browning A5 12 gauge magnum auto with fixed full off an online broker outfit. It showed some use and I paid $450 Canadian (about $400 US). Not a good buy but not a bad one either. No worries about it holding up. Those were fine workmanship. Some engraving and hand checkered walnut. I swapped out the receiver with my other one that was slightly damaged after a primer exploded. Then resold that gun for $500. About what it was worth. I cannot imagine anyone paying more than $250 for an old blonde stocked Mossberg 500 ... even if it was mint condition. The only worse piece of crap is a Stoeger pump. They do fetch a higher price for some reason that totally escapes me. Wait ... I almost overlooked the Remington 887. For clunkiness it's definitely a close run thing between those three. Forget camo. Those guns should be factory dipped lemon yellow.

Last edited:
That's a birch stock stained brown. The "checkering" is stamped into the wood, not cut. That metal finish more closely resembles spray paint than "rich blueing." That gun stinks of "cheap."

Two years ago I bought a 1961 Browning A5 12 gauge magnum auto with fixed full off an online broker outfit. It showed some use and I paid $450 Canadian (about $400 US). Not a good buy but not a bad one either. No worries about it holding up. Those were fine workmanship. Some engraving and hand checkered walnut. I swapped out the receiver with my other one that was slightly damaged after a primer exploded. Then resold that gun for $500. About what it was worth. I cannot imagine anyone paying more than $250 for an old blonde stocked Mossberg 500 ... even if it was mint condition. The only worse piece of crap is a Stoeger pump. They do fetch a higher price for some reason that totally escapes me. Wait ... I almost overlooked the Remington 877. For clunkiness it's definitely a close run thing between those three. Forget camo. Those guns should be factory dipped lemon yellow.
I believe it's an 887, but yah there cheap.

Same. I got mine in 1978 for $96. Un-threaded Modified barrel with no rib. Still pounds me in the nose like it always did.

The first shotgun I ever bought was a good ol' Mosberg 500. I think I paid $89 in 1972. When I stayed out in the rain too long the forearm would swell up to where I couldn't muscle it back no matter how hard I tried. Damn thing fell out of my canoe into the lake sometime in the 80's. If I had known that sometime in the future some damn fool would pay $300 for it, I might have tried to fish it out, Jam a choak tube down the chamber and made a better than 200 percent profit on my investment. Where's that crystal ball when you need it?

Omg Coast-to-Coast! Forgot all about them. My first scatter was a hand me down Montgomery Wards “Western Field” but saved my coin to buy a Rem 870 Wingmaster in 1976 (at Sears!) for my Jr year duck hunting lol. It’s still in the safe, finally kicked to the curb by an Italian

Omg Coast-to-Coast! Forgot all about them. My first scatter was a hand me down Montgomery Wards “Western Field” but saved my coin to buy a Rem 870 Wingmaster in 1976 (at Sears!) for my Jr year duck hunting lol. It’s still in the safe, finally kicked to the curb by an Italian
Didn't Savage or Marlin make Monkey Wards guns?

My old man talks about coast-to-coast all the time and how they got to go into town and get .22lr ammo.

Back