Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I just bought my European rifle for American woods deer.

But the gloss scopes are out of production and I already own a matte Leupold scope anyway. The scope makers of today had to get silly on all us Boomers by dropping gloss black production scopes altogether. Leupold, shame on you! I thought I had more faith in Beaverton, Oregon than that.

You think Leupold could offer just one lousy gloss scope out of their hundreds of models. I guess they think all shiny guns will be safe queens never to be hunted anyway. Who taught the later generations not to appreciate wood and blued steel guns? Do children do this crap to rebel against boomer parents and grandparents?
I have a slightly used shiny VX-2 3-9 I can let go for $700

Really, I "expected more" out of some of you clowns, especially those who finished the eighth grade fifty years ago. Act your age. Set an example for your kids ... so maybe they have a chance to grow up and be reasonably respectful.

Pretty much all the "glossy" scopes made today have aluminum tubes to satisfy the current nutty just-gotta-have-everything-lightweight-as-possible craze. Consequently, glossy aluminum scopes still don't look anything like the glossy blued and walnut rifles they're sitting on. Personally, I think the contrast looks worse than if the scopes are matte. That glossy black aluminum finish looks like it came out of a Krylon spray can.

Nice nyala antelope. Bull. You must have hunted African plains game. Is that a Winchester Model 70?
No, Tom. It's my WWII sporterized Springfield 30-06. The only thing original is receiver and stripped bolt. It's been to Africa three times. Both rings and scope are matte finish. Rings are steel and I might have preferred blued rather than matte but my Canadian supplier only had Warne quick detach low in matte. Actually, I think it probably looks better to have matching finish on rings and scope.

I hunt very hard with that gun, including rain and snow. Sometimes if it gets really wet the oiled wood finish can get a bit rough looking. Nice thing about the oil finish is it only takes a light once over with fine steel wool and wiping on a light coat of oil with my finger to bring it back to classy again. Ten minutes at most. If I had your Sako I would strip that glossy crap (which is no easy task!) and do it up with satin oil. Your gun's finish is almost certainly spray-on acrylic. It's kinda one coat and done with the finish drying almost instantly. Great for assembly line production. Fairly durable but impossible to touch up if scratched or damaged. Also, acrylic just doesn't feel as nice in the hand as oiled wood (it's not all in my head either).

Edit: Warning! Stripping and refinishing a checkered stock is pretty much an art. I have mastered it but had a couple of junker pressed checkering stocks to use during the learning process. I refinished this very fine factory glossy stock Citori a few years ago. That was NOT a ten minute project!
Citori case 1.JPG
Before
20200417_173819.jpg
After

Last edited:
Really, I "expected more" out of some of you clowns, especially those who finished the eighth grade fifty years ago. Act your age. Set an example for your kids ... so maybe they have a chance to grow up and be reasonably respectful.

Pretty much all the "glossy" scopes made today have aluminum tubes to satisfy the current nutty just-gotta-have-everything-lightweight-as-possible craze. Consequently, glossy aluminum scopes still don't look anything like the glossy blued and walnut rifles they're sitting on. Personally, I think the contrast looks worse than if the scopes are matte. That glossy black aluminum finish looks like it came out of a Krylon spray can.

$931 on auction. No plastic modern laser-engraved-markings junk for me. You are hard pressed to do any nicer than this bolt-action-wise for under $1K. Old-world craftsmanship from Europe with old-fashioned blued steel and genuine hand-checkered wood. Sako even sounds classier than CZ.
Nice gun, they make those here too you know...wood and blued steel lol.

Whats with those ears sprouting from stock just in front of the action? Do they serve a purpose? Sand em down and refinish that stock in a nice satin finish. Dang deer are going to see you a mile away.

$931 on auction. No plastic modern laser-engraved-markings junk for me. You are hard pressed to do any nicer than this bolt-action-wise for under $1K. Old-world craftsmanship from Europe with old-fashioned blued steel and genuine hand-checkered wood. Sako even sounds classier than CZ.

Sako Forester L579 .243 With Heavy Barrel​

View attachment 269374
I've had one L471 and two L 61R's You should really like tis rifle!

View attachment 269446
I suppose looking at this color scheme on a hunting outfit hurts less than a punch in the nose still. Should the rings be matte like the scope or gloss like the rifle. How about silver rings for greater contrast? This has the Sako dovetail scope mounting system.
I think one of each would do the trick

Probably a fix for the glossy finish. When I refinish a stock, after it dries I rub it out with 0000 steel wool and finish. Wipe the stock with the finish still wet.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back