I have NEVER shot a mule deer! :( ..... Would love some input on where to chase my first one.

bigdonniebrasco

I have killed my fair share of whitetail, and Pronghorn, but I have yet to even hunt Mule Deer. I live in East Central KS, and I have 2 points in WY.

As I start doing my research, have any of you got any input as to where I might set my sights for my first mulie hunt?

Thank you!!

You guys are all AWESOME! I guess I will start researching KS! I think I just fell prey to the "grass is always greener" scenario.

That was easy!

Thank you!!!

Do you also smoke marijuana? If so, I could recommend Western Colorado with their unlimited elk and deer tags and the cannibus dispensaries along the Interstate. Probably tag out in an afternoon. Best of luck!

And get pulled over!!! Speed limit is only 65 mph, OH!! Slow down. Probably why you hit so many wall hangers!
Right. Nighttime is 65 mph but just as well be 100 mph the way people drive Hwy 2 (except motorhome tourists in the summer). I NEVER drive that stretch at night faster than 55 and anyone who does better have a relative who owns a body shop. You'll never see the deer in time to dodge them. Fortunately my outfit is old enough the junkyards in Montana are full of them to repair the damage from bagging my muley buck at 50 mph just outside of Harlem. Took me all of three hours to find another hood, grill, and headlight.

Correction. This deer was hit two years ago west of Malta at the other end of railroad overpass. That's a bad spot as canal with water is there too. Lots of deer traffic. I creamed another one in that same place with same vehicle eleven years ago. Last fall I managed to wind through eight muley does and fawns on highway at the edge of Harlem, only slightly bumping a fawn with no damage to vehicle and apparently none to deer. Luckily I wasn't up to 55 mph yet. Mario Andretti would have been impressed with that driving!
20211122_075408.jpg

Last edited:
And if beef is more to your taste, the stretch through Ft Belknap Reservation usually has a couple of black angus out on the highway. Split the backstraps with the tow truck driver.

Right. Nighttime is 65 mph but just as well be 100 mph the way people drive Hwy 2 (except motorhome tourists in the summer). I NEVER drive that stretch at night faster than 55 and anyone who does better have a relative who owns a body shop. You'll never see the deer in time to dodge them. Fortunately my outfit is old enough the junkyards in Montana are full of them to repair the damage from bagging my muley buck at 50 mph just outside of Harlem. Took me all of three hours to find another hood, grill, and headlight.View attachment 218216
Do you selectively harvest or just take the first deer that jumps in front of you? Sounds like an interesting hunt.

Seriously, there's lots of deer on that stretch of highway and quite a lot of public land or public accessible private land. It took me maybe four hours of hunting to shoot my buck last year and seldom more than two days. If you have time, you can find some decent ones. I usually see several real nice ones every fall during the six weeks I'm hunting birds. Mostly see the big ones on private land or in the headlights but keep in mind I'm primarily there to hunt birds so not really looking for big deer to shoot.

Set clear goals, get GoHunt, watch their videos, use their research tools, escout, and pick a spot for a summer scouting trip.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back