I am needing input on a new hunting pack! Please help!!

arffdog875

I am needing some input on hunting packs, Please!!! To start this off I am tired of buying hunting packs every 2 - 3 years, I am tired of zippers blowing out, stiching coming undone, and buckles breaking! I am looking for a pack that will do double duty... a 1-3 day pack that can pack meat out also. I know alot of you guys are MR guys, I have only seen a Crew cab once, but didn't get to try it on. My buddy just got an Eberlestock pack but hasn't hunted with it yet. I am looking for a durable pack that the maker will stand behind. Please let me know how your packs are holding up!! Thanks!
Arffdog875

I like my Blacks Creek. I haven't tried the MR but i did own an eberlestock and thought it was kinda heavy. Just my opinion.

I use the Blue widow by Eberlestock you can put a whole boned out deer with horns in it !! Not sure if I will ever need a different pack. It is a little heavy at just over 7 lbs dry, also love being able to put my gun in the pack with ease.

I have had good luck with my Eberlestock J-104, yeah it is a little heavy but it is an awesome pack, I am thinking of the X-1 for day hunts. I have also been very interested in the MR packs, I just wish some of the outdoor stores in my area carried them so I could check them out.

I dropped enough on my Mystery Ranch to stimulate the local Bozeman economy until my next trip to the Montana Ale Works....

I will never use my pack in the same manner as the "ologists" on this board who use them 12 months of the year, or so, for work purposes, but, I am guessing after my first encounters with the MR pack, I am likely done buying backpacks for the rest of my life.....

Good stuff, and they live up to the testimonials around here.

The MR is tough to beat. I have the Crew Cab and only spent about 15 days under it this year... it was fantastic mostly empty as a day pack and when I had it at #76 with elk meat... I also packed a 7 day camp in with it... Very tough, durable, exceptionally comfortable...

Now... Badlands dont compare in suspension, but the super days and 2800's are great little packs and Badlands has an unconditional lifetime guarantee... thats a good deal...

The MR is heavy...but as stated by many....its a "good" weight... because the heaviness makes it indestructible and comfortable...

Go with the MR... get the crew cab or Longbow, and if you want more room get the bigger bag. I packed out a bear, moose, and two deer on mine this year, other than needing a trip to the carwash, its good to go for its 4th season.

Go with the MR... get the crew cab or Longbow, and if you want more room get the bigger bag. I packed out a bear, moose, and two deer on mine this year, other than needing a trip to the carwash, its good to go for its 4th season.

My suggestion as well. I've got the CrewCab and 6500 bag for my NICE frame. After 4 years of use including three trips to Alaska, it hasn't missed a beat yet. They are heavier than what some guys like, but they are bombproof. You will never have to buy another pack, although I wouldn't suggest telling your wife that. Since I bought mine, MR has come out with some pretty cool packs.:eek:;)

Go with the MR.

They can carry anything.

Expensive but worth it.

IMG_0327.jpg

I really like my EberleStock, but if I had the extra coin laying around I would step up to the MR. I got play with them in Bozeman, but that was all I could afford.

I've found out that the MR packs are not bomb proof if you use them most every day. But I will say that after some tough hunting seasons and work seasons...they are holding together better than any pack I've used in the past.

My crew cab is starting to show signs of wear here and there, but nothing has broken yet. I'm guessing going into my 4th work season, that after this year, I'll have some holes worn into the pack itself. I'm not sure if thats covered under the warranty or not, but really doesnt matter. Its not from abuse, just daily use of the pack...I'd guess I use my pack over 200 days a year between work and hunting. My current crew cab probably has in excess of 600 days total use. I couldnt ask the pack to perform better, but it just isnt bomb proof. If I used it just for hunting, I dont think I'd see any signs of wear.

No question the best and most comfortable pack I've ever personally owned or used. Cant go wrong with a MR, and that isnt a guess.

Oak,

I probably should have worded that different...I'm actually surprised to see wear issues. The guy I work with is having the same "problems" with his crew cab. The integrity of the pack is not being compromised, or the suspension, just the bags and the hinge areas where the shoulder straps meet the frame. Not a problem one with any of the zippers, buckels, etc. which is where I've seen major failures on nearly all the other packs I've used.

I should probably post up some photos of my pack.

I'd dare say the way I use that pack is a touch beyond what a majority will put theirs through.

I really like my EberleStock, but if I had the extra coin laying around I would step up to the MR. I got play with them in Bozeman, but that was all I could afford.

Hmmmmmm....that the real reason?

Oak told me that you couldn't find a color to go with your shorts.

: )

Good gear is a treat to have.

I'd go with Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.

I've had a Kifaru LH for 7 years and packed a lot of gear and critters over a lot of miles. I even wore through some areas and they repaced free of charge. They stand behind the product.

You mean you guys don't go into the woods with a bow, arrows, loin cloth and gut your animals with a broadhead?...you need a pack you say? You do have me interested in this MR buisness now that I read all these posts.

Some of the best advice I've got on this board was checking out the MR packs. I started with a crew cab and purchased a 6500 bag this summer. The pack has become my go to for almost everything and although pricey I feel is worth the investment. I haven't done a ton of loads in mine but it more than passes for packing sheds, dead turkeys, and it was great this fall for my elk. I'm planning to either add a Longbow or a Big Horn this spring for kind of an in between for the CC and 6500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back