I-161 in MT would remove license set-aside for outfitters

No wonder why you want to come to SD to hunt deer. As a resident of SD, I think that's to cheap for NR tag. I would spend and have spent more than that to hunt out of state, but the $585 for 1 deer tag in MT is too rich for my blood. Good luck in SD hunting

I didn't look at the I-161 at all but the prices are interesting.

A NR in AZ would pay 151.25 for the license and 232.75 for the deer tag ($384.00 total). If you were to draw an elk tag in the same year that'd be an additional $595.00 ($979.00 total if you were to be so lucky).

If a resident were to pull both deer and elk in AZ (assuming they buy a hunt&fish license) the total would be $217.75.

Mixed feelings on this. I know my odds of drawing just got a little better but at more cost. Where does it end is my worry. A few percent creep a year in states is one thing but at the rate things are going in many states what will it be in 2015?? What will it be when my kid is at the age when he is on his own?
I really believe he will not be able to do as many of us are doing now.

I hear you about the impact to our kids. I hope it's partial incentive to be "successful" and get a good career.

I also have mixed feelings on the outcome of I-161, the one obvious benefit is that all NR hunters will have an equall oppprtunity in the drawing's regardless of ones checkbook balance. After years of applying in other states I wish some of them would follow suit and have one drawing for NR versus seperate drawings based on how much a person was willing to spend for an increased opportunity or if they were hiring an outfitter. Granted the MT deer tag is pretty steep now, but overall I think it's still a great value. The biggest bang for your buck is MT's Big Horn Sheep. I think MT NR hunters pay $750 for a chance in the drawing, compare that to WY and CO. Talk about a great value, especially when you consider the quality of sheep in Montana. Also i don't believe NR have to purchase a hunting license as a prerequisite to apply such as OR, AZ ,NV ect.

Along with Antler King's comments -

Looking at Wyoming vs Montana... There is a miniscule difference. Some showing Montana a couple dollars more and some showing Wyoming a couple dollars more...

I do not see the described difference in cost for non residents hunting vs another premier elk, etc area...

The difference - prob more in the resident fees though non resident - nil.

WY Deer Non Resident: $312
MT Deer Combo: $343

WY Elk Non Resident: $577
MT Elk Combo: $593

Not sure what all is needed for hunting WY beyond the tag - though I believe archery adds whereas MT that price is the complete value.

Seems non resident wise - Montana is catching up to the fees of other states. I imagine resident tags would follow. I know many that growled over a few dollars recently - I would like to see FWP with more funds to bring more effective management of our wildlife into play. Education, public access and enforcement would be a good move. They do a remarkable job as they are currently. It would be a good move to boost our fees - reasonably. That value would be an interesting series of public fwp meetings... :D

Identifying Non Res tags are really no different than other states... and now non residents have better opportunity to draw... Seems a good future.

I don't believe any advantage to private land owners opening more land to the public due to the initiative passing... More competition for outfitters... Okay. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

Not to mention, Montana lets you hunt their deer for 5 weeks and includes the RUT...that alone is worth something

Personally I dont see anything wrong with a resident price increase, however with the quantity of "B" tags available in especially in the eastern part of the state what would happen to those used to buying 7+ tags that are now 2-3 times the cost? More poaching?

B-tags are different, they are a management tool for the most part. I think those would have to be left cheap to sell. The A tag and bull elk tag could be higher.

i'm thinking of going in the Montana draws this year for a combo license.I think my odds went way up, and the seasons are very long if you archery hunt also.I don't think the new cost is crazy for a combo elk/deer tag compared to buying these separate in other states
Is Montana going to a one draw system this year instead of the 2 draws?Looks like I'll have to start researching some hunting areas in Montana

I don't see it that close.Almost 600 bucks for a MT deer tag,compared to a Wyoming deer tag at just over 300 dollars.I would guess that odds will be easier to draw but that's a stiff increase for us NR.I love huntin MT,it will not be as easy to go now.I could have understood an increase,but not that much.Yall got it lucky living there.

yes - my bad. apologies. $527 for a MT deer tag Non-Resident.
A bit excessive. I think they should have stayed on line with our neighbors on the deer tag though I am supportive of I-161 as our combo tag is, give or take 10$ from elk/deer of colorado and wyoming... think 867, 889, 897...
I do not believe gov't should guarantee private enterprise employment. This enables non residents an equal opportunity to draw a public tag AND promote competitive private business. This raises the bar for outfitters which will help those who draw and are willing to pay for an outfitter to do their work for them...

I dont agree that the proposed NR fees will be too high...I just have never felt that Residents pay enough, including the 19 years I hunted MT as a resident.

I'm not sure what the fall-out will be on 161, but I will say that Montana functioned just fine prior to the introduction of the OSL's.

I wont stop hunting Montana or applying every year...bargain even at the new prices and if you can come up with a couple hundred more, stay home. I'm also tired of the whining about the "what about the kids" crap...MT and WY both have reduced priced youth permits. Find something new to complain about.

yes - my bad. apologies. $527 for a MT deer tag Non-Resident.
A bit excessive. I think they should have stayed on line with our neighbors on the deer tag though I am supportive of I-161 as our combo tag is, give or take 10$ from elk/deer of colorado and wyoming... think 867, 889, 897...
I do not believe gov't should guarantee private enterprise employment. This enables non residents an equal opportunity to draw a public tag AND promote competitive private business. This raises the bar for outfitters which will help those who draw and are willing to pay for an outfitter to do their work for them...

That's ok, I just thought I was confused somehow. I agree with you- I don't believe in guaranteed outfitter tags. I'm glad they did away with them. And the price for a deer tag, yes it's a little high, but not so much that it would keep me from going on a deer hunt in Montana if that's what I really wanted to do. Right now, for me the $527 price is too much. The combination deer and elk license is definitely a fair price and in line with most other states, but I'm only interested in going to Montana for deer. Or, I might think about going on an elk hunt, but I don't want to do both deer and elk in the same year. It's not possible to get just an elk tag, is it? What about an antlerless elk tag? Are those available without having to draw and pay for the deer/elk combination license?

Those kids grow out of those youth permits,and want to hunt.I cant see dropping almost 1,700 bucks for a father and two kids.And not whining either,just sayin it will be unfortunate for some.

Those kids grow out of those youth permits,and want to hunt.I cant see dropping almost 1,700 bucks for a father and two kids.And not whining either,just sayin it will be unfortunate for some.

After they grow out of those "youth permits" they should be adults, and pay the same as adults. I am not sure there is any logic in thinking people have any "right" or Montana has any "obligation" to make hunting "affordable" to out of state hunters. An 18 ytear old should either be in "collage" so they can get a degree and make enough money to be able to hunt where and when they desire or, the 18 year old should be working for a living realising they won't get all the luxuries in life.

We all have to make trade-offs in where we spend our money, and, if hunting is important, raising the prices won't matter. If hunting is equal to other vacations (cruises, DisneyLand, Hedonism) then the price is just another factor to consider whose economy we stimulate.

...Or, I might think about going on an elk hunt, but I don't want to do both deer and elk in the same year. It's not possible to get just an elk tag, is it? What about an antlerless elk tag? Are those available without having to draw and pay for the deer/elk combination license?

Colorado:
Elk, Cow $351.00
Elk, Bull or Either Sex $541.00
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...4EEA78C3B43/0/ColoradoHuntPlanner07072010.pdf

Wyoming:
ELK Nonresident $577.00 If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $14.00.
ELK Nonresident Cow/Calf $288.00 If applying for license through drawing, application fee must also be remitted. Nonresident Application Fee $14.00.
http://gf.state.wy.us/fiscal/license/licprices/default.aspx

Montana:
Elk B — Drawing Allows for the taking of an antlerless elk in designated areas. June 1
Nonresident * $278
Elk B — Over-the-counter Allows for the taking of an antlerless elk in designated areas. August 9
OTC Nonresident $273
Elk Combination — General Nonresidents applying for any other combination license may not apply. Includes a conservation, state lands and elk license and authorizes fishing and hunting of upland game birds, excluding turkey. This license is included in the 11,500 quota of big game elk/deer combination license (w/o OSL's). [Learn more] March 15 Nonresident ** $593
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/availableLicenses.html
For elk fee's cow/bull info - seems relative to Wy and Co. (Non-Resident).

The only thing, per MTFWP that has adjusted due to I-161 seems related solely to Non Resident Deer. Otherwise, I am assuming the Elk will stay close to the same(?)

Last edited:
Idaho
Total to hunt Deer and Elk, OTC is $873.25

(add $14.75 application fee for each species if wanting Controlled Hunts).

Idaho Non-Resident
Hunting License ...... $154.75
Deer ......... $301.75
Elk ......... $416.75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back