Hypoglycemia while hunting.

bobbydean

I have had controlled diabetes for years.

Recently in January. We had 2 foot of snow, I shoveled for 2 days, Went into chills and sweating profusely. Large OJ and a meal put me back to normal.

This week I have battled the flu or cold. (had the flu shot). Thursday morning went to bed at 11 am and wife tried to wake me at six,, She could not wake me for twenty five minuetes Called 911.

Paramedics revived me. Had blood sugar of 31. Said, I had another 10 minutes.

My question is how do your protect yourself. I know hard candy, glucose tablets, Bit of Honey.

Any other ideas?

Do you take insulin? You may need to monitor your bgl more often when hunting and burning more calories than usual.

No I am on oral medication, Metformin and Amaryl.

Has never been a problem until the recent events. Both were heavy exertion and heavy stress. I could have both while elk hunting.

Will also snack on protein bars all day, every day.

Wow bobbydean, good thing she called for help! Well controlled last week doesn't always mean that you are well controlled this week. I'm guessing your physician has been reminding you of the need/benefit of regular glocometer readings and it's possible that your medications may need tweeking. (And if another doc has given you Rx meds, make sure your diabetes doc knows what you've been taking.).

Hope this is your last bad one.

Definitely get a prescription for a glucagon shot. Your wife and any other family members need to be comfortable with it. It would eliminate the 911 call or at least keep you going till they get there. Also, check your blood sugar regularly and get an idea of what the exercise is doing to it. Then you can make decisions to head off the lows. Also try to listen to your body and try to feel the lows coming on. For me if my eyes get tunnel vision I'm really low. Also as mentioned talk to your doctor/doctors. If you don't have an endocrinologist find one.....now!

I am a type one and have been diagnosed since I was 13. I can remember having "week knees" when I was a kid so I was likely somewhat diabetic my whole life. Hunting, hiking, and camping are a real stressor for me and I manage it much differently than normal life. I try to keep my blood sugar levels a bit higher just in case. A short term higher sugar is not an issue. I'm talking 20-30 pts higher than normal for me. Also I always keep glucose pills and extra snacks like power bars with me in case I have to spend a night in the woods. I like power bars because smashing them doesn't seem to destroy them. At home, milk is another good quick boost instead of typical sugary stuff.

Good luck. There's a lot worse issues to have as long as you stay on top of it.

Last edited:
I have been an insulin user for 37 years.Have had a few of the lows,not good. I carry PAYDAY candy bars with me while hunting,when I start feeling week and shaky they seem to bring my sugar level back up and the peanuts is a goodsource of energy.

My dad has been on insulin for about 30 years his go to for low blood sugar is peanut m&m's. He has had lots of lows over the years and now has a glucose monitor and it really helps. Hope he brings the m@m's this fall on our elk hunt. Good luck with your diabetes, it can be scary for all involved.

sounds to me like you better have a buddy hunt with you. Some times the diabetic person doesn't realize they are getting low but a good friend can spot it a mile away.

elkantlers,

That has been on my mind. I really do recognize the signs. This last episode I thought it was flu symptoms. It was , but masked the hypoglycemia. Unfortunately, the hypoglycemia directly effects your cognitive abilities. I know mine went to hell.

I put in for quality hunts this year. If I draw, I will go with a nephew or brother. They are easily talked into it.

The worst aspect of this last incident, is that I know what to look for it and didn't see it.

Makes you feel real stupid

I agree that it is the exercise that is lowering your glucose. Metformin does not typically cause hypoglycemia but the glimepiride (Amaryl) is likely the cause as it makes your pancreas secrete insulin. This,in combination with exercise, is causing your hypoglycemia. If you know that you will be on a big hunt with lots of hiking you may consider talking with your doctor about decreasing your glimepiride dose by half while you are out. Arm yourself with glucose gel or tablets that are a fast acting source of sugar to immediately treat your lows. Once the low is fixed, typically >100, you will then need to eat a protein to maintain your glucose and keep from crashing again. Have a glucagon pen at home for your wife to use and check your glucose frequently while out in the woods.

I would say a good supply of glucose gel and a hunting buddy who would also have on his person. I didn't catch it earlier but have you seen an endocrinologist? Gel if you are in such a state where the tablets are unable to be swallowed.. getting gel along the gums could go along ways.

+Intake - exercise - medicine = glucose level

If any of these change then other 2 variables have to change.

I suggest glucagon shots for partners. It's potentially very dangerous to be too low for too long. In the big scheme of things, while tight control is preferred dangers of too low cannot be ignored.

Being a cardiologist I have a different take. A large study once showed that when comparing the energy spent on tight medical control vs tight cholesterol control with a statin long term benefit was much greater with tight cholesterol control in preventing cardiovascular complications. There are other long term complications of diabetes as well but simply put more people were alive with tighter cholesterol control.

I don't have any solid advice like the folks above, but wanted to relate a story.

About 15 years ago I was backpacking up in the Spanish Peaks by myself. It was late summer and I was "training" for elk hunting and packing about 80 pounds up to a lake for an over-night (youth and enthusiasm). I ran into a fellow along side of a stream and he wasn't doing so well. After chatting for less than a minute - he let me know he was diabetic and his blood sugar was very low. He had pop with him and a candy bar. I rested with him - and knew I had plenty of food to share with him. I told him I would go down to the trailhead and take him to a Dr or continue up the trail with him. Whatever he needed.

He wanted to go up the trail to the lake and meet the party he came with. I kept him talking and his sugar levels were getting better. As we moved closer to the lake - I became very irritated with his hiking partners (there was a group of about 8 folks). The fellow's partners knew he was diabetic. They had been at the lake for a couple of hours and hadn't come looking for him. I read them the riot act when I met up with them. The fellow had me scared when I met him - as diabetes is in my family and chances are I will develop it later in my life as well.

It can be very touchy in the mountains - so make sure you are prepared (it sounds like you are). My Dad is diabetic and when I hunt with him I always stay close. Exercise, altitude, etc can really stress the body quickly.

Glad you are safe and have it under control now.

Gentleman.

I respect your answers. I was looking for practical solutions. which I got.

I also got very intelligent responses concerning lifestyle.

I never took the disease as this serious to me. I was borderline. Talk to a diabetic educator, there is no borderline.

I never had a problem until the last 2 months. Scared the hell out of me. Needed it.

Hope some of you also got useful advice from this thread.

I am totally amazed at the diversity of knowledge and skill on this site. I am not talking hunting.

Thank you all!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back