HuntTalk.com Duck Hunt 2004

Some screw-in choke tubes aren't safe with steel shot. Since I bought my Citori a few years back, I'll have to dig out the owner's manual to make sure mine is safe. That's why I asked about the tungsten or bismuth shot - are they softer than steel?

Then again, I'd just get mad if the gun got messed up - so maybe I'll just bring the Mossberg or the Ithaca.

i always like to bring 2 guns just in case. my 11-87 will chamber 3 inch but my 870 wingmaster only takes 2 3/4 will i be able to get by with that or should i bring the OLD mossberg that kicks like a mule or the 20 guage 870 that will chamber 3inch.this is my first crack at waterfowl other than puddle jumping wood ducks so help me out.

You and me both, Tim. I think the Mossberg takes 3 inch, but I'm pretty sure the Ithaca is just a 2 3/4 inch gun. The Browning takes 3 inch, but I'm not sure I want to travel with a high-grade double.

So - will 2 3/4 mags do it?

I'm unsure on the dates and costs. Could they be laid out a bit more clearly? Thanks. I'm planning on going, but tentatively as I am unsure about my employment in the future. That should be shored up in the next week or two and I'll know if I'm a go or no-show.

I have a story about the shell question. I'm on a duck lease near town here where I live. There's one main pond with regular ducks coming in and when multiple members are there, we circle the pond. My buddy from work got a 3 1/2 inch Browning first. He never waits for the ducks to circle, others like calling, letting some land, then shooting the tail end of those coming in. Then, those that landed take off, and we shoot those. This guy with the 3 1/2 inch shells starts shooting ducks when they are over the middle of the pond and just barely in range. He says, they might not circle, we might not get them. Luckily, he doesn't have a lot of time to hunt, so he's not there a lot of days, when others want to try and call them in and get them to circle and to land. Anyway, if you guys get a group, like they said they put 5-6 in a group didn't they, with 2 3/4 you would all be waiting for them to come in close, maybe even land. There's more to my story.

I don't think they make 12 gauge 2 3/4 with T or BBB, but I think I've seen BB, which might get a goose, if they're close enough. My experience of just west and south of Houston, TX, which is not but a few hundred miles from this place in LA, I think. Usually, the caller yells out take them, and everyone uncovers their face, puts up the "shiney" guns and starts unloading. Its important to be cammoed real good, not shiney, no face showing, no movement, then the birds are more likely to come into the decoys and the calling. Anything face, movement, or shiney gun, will flare them, before they get in range.

The 2 3/4, 3, 3 1/2 12 gauge and 4 1/2 inch 10 gauge makes a difference in when to yell out, take them. Like if the guide has a 10 guage, he might call take them, before the 2 3/4 inch shooter would be real confident to shoot. That is something to coordinate, if possible, groups of similar ammo. If somebody has a muzzle loader shotgun, they should get to shoot first in their group, there's an idea to, so they get a bird or two. Some days the whole group can get the easy limits fast. Its a very rare day, that you get a limit of snow geese. Usually, you get snows when they come in in small groups. A big group of them, which is common, will have enough eyes to flare, or someone in the group just can't stand it, and starts shooting the front of the big group coming in. The specklebelly geese seem kind of dumb sometimes, they will hover over the guy doing the calling well within range, when everyone in the group already has their limit. You have to be prepared to not shoot them with stray bb's, when everyone has their limit of specks, that's not uncommon, I would think, at least west of Houston and LA has more water, maybe not as much food. Sorry, if I'm talking to much. This is going to be a blast, I would think, especially if its cloudy weather, where they come in low. Blue sky days are harder, but you'll even see a lot then, just in the distance, or way up out of range. It can be really neat to have them circle several times coming in on a day like that, too. If the decoy spread looks good and the calling is good, that can happen.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm unsure on the dates and costs. Could they be laid out a bit more clearly? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you need Pointer... the first post in this topic says :

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Location : Eunice, Louisiana,

Fly in Thursday Jan. 15th, 2004. (Probably into Lafeyette (SP?) Hunt Friday, Sat, Sunday Morning.

Price, $220/Day. Plus $25/Day lodgeing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only thing else you need to know is you need to get there, there is a 100$ licence fee for up to 3 days, and if you need local Transportation we'll need to arange it once we know who is going and Who is driving and who is left to rent a van, Ect.

LEMME know on ANY other questions !!!

Back