Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

HuntTalk.com Duck Hunt 2004

Moosie is right about the shot size. I use T, BBB or BB's for geese and 2's or 3's for ducks. This may seems big, but remember steel does not hit like lead does. Steel does not have the density of lead, but speed kills. I you want to shoot something smaller, try tungsten, bismuth or Hevi-shot.

Take lots of coolers, but make sure you know what the possession limit is. I had a buddy that went to Arkansas and becasue of the possession limits, he mailed home limits (to Montana) every couple of days. Since this is a three day hunt, this may not be a problems, but in MT, the possession is two daily limits.

Hope you guys have fun. Make sure to share some stories.

MT

THATS a good tip....stuff like that will sneak up on ya!

Moosie,
I'll pick ya up!
burbon......I mean suburban or a truck.
Karen wants to trade in the burbon on a newer 4 door truck. I think the drive to NM for elk may be its last trip .. that should put it over 200K and its a 97.

I'm still getting the Details. I'll let you know, I'm guessing 1/2 up front ? I'll post the info As soon as I know. I think I'm geting a video tape early next week to see what the hunting is like and will ship a copy to anyone that wants one if it's worth viewing
smile.gif

Hey Moosie, Just caught wind of this, OK I ain't been around very much, been watching the soap opera going on at the "other" site, but anyway ya'll going to be about 65 miles from me on your hunt. You gotta check out Mulates Restaurant in Breaux Bridge at least one nite. It's a real hoot and as close as you can get to a real cajun good time. Seafood is the specialty and live french bands on the weekends. Don't know how my schedule will work out that far in advance but I'll drive over and drink a beer with ya'll if I can get loose. I'll even try to teach you a new card game, bourre, pronounced "boo ray". It's a lotta fun, (with the right cash incentives).

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-09-2003 02:49: Message edited by: la4wd54 ]</font>

La, I'd drive 65 miles one evening for some Cards and a beer and a Good cajan dinner.. HELL YAH. Make sure ya Email me your # [email protected] and I'll call ya for dinner. Make sure ya come back by and check this forum for the Dates as they progress..

What do ya think or 24hour's bet ? HAHA Kids.. eh ?

Moosie, I'll stay in touch with ya on the dates. Sounds like a hoot. "The Show" is pretty entertaining over there on the other side.

Hey LA,

My bride & I stopped at a place that had GREAT music & Dancing!
I MEAN CRAZY!

It was a little off I-10 and had good food too! We followed signs off I-10
Does that sound like the place?

If it is I'll drag Moosie......
Moosie, can ya dance BOY?

Leave the pan in Idaho dude!

CAN I DANCE ?!?!? HAHA !!! I'll show ya some day
wink.gif
Looks like at least 2 others from here are going to JB, so We might have a full truck. I'll let ya know soon to see if you can pick us up. THANX.

HEY, I just got the Video from the hunt place. Been out and it's late so I ain't watchin' it tonight.... But I'll get to see it sometime this weekend and I'll let ya know if it's any good.

I lied.. I stayed up and Watched it... It was an OK movie, I liked the amounts of birds but I didn't like the Hunters. I don't know how others hunt in other areas but We don't all Unload on a single goose if it comes in. We usually have one Guy that does the Shooting and the Next time the Next guy, Buit then We usually don't have more then 3-4 MAX hunting. And if it's 4, We'll spread out and still take turns with the PAIR thing. And after It's hit, We're not unloading on it as it's dropping floded up.

It looked like the hunters in the Video were ALWAYS unloading there gun on the birds.. Even on dropping birds. It's hard to tell from the Video not being there but I didn't like that part....

As far as Fun.... OMG, I'm FIRED UP !!!! BOOOM, KABOOOM... BOOOM.... Duck/goose down !!!

uzi.gif
Bird_01.gif

Bird_02.gif
fire.gif

I don't think that's too much, #2s and 3.5 inch T's. If a duck or goose makes it this far south, they have flown a long way and are pretty tough. Some of the guides use 10 gauge, I bet. Real serious goose hunter's here use a 10 gauge some. It would be good to group people up by what they have. Like if women and/or kids go, they might be in a group with some 20 gauge ammo even. Not likely, but that's a thought to consider or at least let them shoot first sometimes.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Guess I should post some rhetoric since I don't get it when someone posts with no substance.

I agree Moosie, with too many hunters and too much steel in the air. I am hoping that it is just the camera that makes it seem like excessive shooting at the ducks when they come in.

I have to laugh when I see those videos of a pair of ducks locked up and 8 shots later there is one dead duck and one cripple flapping off (then the yee-haws and high fives). I think this is one of the reasons I enjoy hunting solo (or hunting with folks whom have some ettiquette).

In my opinion, you should be trying to drop a cripple if you feel the need to pull the trigger a third time.

With most of the videos I have seen where there are 6-8 guys blasting ducks and no one sure who got what, I figured I would just sip coffee until everyone got there limit, then shoot my birds and let everyone else hold their empty guns.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-15-2003 20:21: Message edited by: mtmiller ]</font>

Miller, Are you talking about Toms post ? HE;s from Texas, You have to Excuse him
wink.gif
(Or was it my post
confused.gif
)

I agree MTmiller, What we do here is take turns, this year even more so then last. We'll have the Cam Corder out in the Field more too. If a group comes in, the guy on the Left shoots on the Left, the Right on the right.. And for Heavins sake in the Sun-of-a-Beaches are Locked up at 100 YArds, Don't blast them at 60 YArds when they are still coming in. If they Flare it's one thing but don't MAKE them flare. Thats the part in the Films that could be decieving too, I hear "TAKE UM' " and they are still locked in coming closer... So of the 5 geese coming in I hear 9-10 Shots and see only one Goose hit the ground... If ya wait jsut 2-5 more Seconds then take um' I bet all 5 would hit the ground
frown.gif

But HEY, I've blown incomers myself and I know it happens, Jsut hope not every time. My Bos shere jumped the Gun once and the rest of the Day he never jumped up till one Of us did. It was Very funny
smile.gif

Anyways, Geting fired up !!!! There is a Bunch-a Flying critters hitting the Groun in Louisiana Come JAn !!!! YEEEE HHAAAAAA !!!

You don't have to excuse me for anything. I think the most substantial thing in my first post here was to be weary of your neighbors ears. Its easy to be swinging with a bird and pull the trigger when pointed above a neighbor in those row type blinds. One needs to concentrate and not do that for sure, to be safe, its painful on the ears and probably damaging, if someone gets excited and forgets about that possibility. Its fun hunting in a group like that, but its fun hunting alone too, and its fun hunting with family and friends too. Those are all more fun than watching a TV show on it, in my opinion.
smile.gif

What if I wanted to fly in on Friday? That would probably mean start hunting Saturday AM, so it would just be 2 days. How do you get all those ducks and geese home? How many boxes of shells are you bringing, or do you stop at Walmart on your way from the airport?

Do you have the same concerns about the barrel with tungsten or bismuth shot as you do with steel? (I may want to bring my nice Citori.)

you're not the Ony one Wanting to Fly in on Friday... 1-pointer and A few others asked that too.

I'm goingto Ship them back as Luggage. In a cooled box. Pretty common.

Shells ? Probably gunna buy them Locally and will buy about 5 box's and if I shoot thatmany and need more Stores aren't tha far away...

What concerns about the Barrel ? I have no concerns ?
confused.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back