Hunting with Horses

Buckeye

Any tips and or tactics for hunting with horses? Benefits (other than packing out :) )? Starting to consider it now that im in the West and i have a background with horses but not hunting with them.

I am a Rookie at it also, but what I do is study maps and Aerials to see where the Parks are on the trail. When approaching these, get off and check them out on foot. Then procede to the Meadows or Saddles you wish to hunt. The Mule or Horse just gets ya there. John

I have hunted off of a horse in Wyoming and Colorado and also New Mexico,,horses dont seem to bother the elk,,had bulls bugle right at em like they were elk,,elk tend to be used to horses because of the ranchers that graze public ground,,they see horses all of the summer and early autumn,,we rode right into a herd of elk last fall and they didnt mind until the hunter got off his horse

My father in law and i hunt with horses every year we can get further in than most,not kill ourselfs packing the elk out, cover more ground and the elk think they are odd looking elk. So far we have filled our tags every year. But its a lot of work also taking care of theses knot heads while in the woods they are the first to eat every morning and night and never know when one might decide to have a stupid attack. Its a lot of gear to take care of seeings how it aint cheap u want to keep it in good shape so it last and also doesnt hurt the hose by rubbing them raw and such.Unless you feel like putting up large area of electric fence u carry alot of hay. Although we see guys just turn them loose and next thing you know they are at our camp asking did u see my horse or could i use ur horse to go find mine. But we still luv using horses and the elk dont mind either 3 out of 4 times it actually helps like i said elk think they are a dumb looking elk.

I only have limited experience hunting with horses.. We were able to look over lots of country that would have been hard to see on foot. For me, however, they are a bigger pain than they are a help.

If you do not already own a horse, it is a bit crazy in my book to buy one strictly for the hunt option. You have to pay all the food and vet bills all year for that one trip to the hunting country. When you are there, you have to make sure that you have plenty of feed and good water. A horse that is out of shape and not eating well will quit on you a couple days into a hard hunt. It takes lots of riding to keep a horse in mountain shape.

I believe now you have to have hay that is certified to be weed-free or something like that.

I personally think that if you insist on a critter to help get you in and out of the back country, a better option is a llama. They are easy maintenance and can carry plenty of weight. To each his own, but I don't like to be tied down with the burden of having a horse.

tip : rent the horse, and the tack unless you have 40 acres and can train the sob.
tip : get the best panyards you can buy.
tip (should be #2) : careful - you can be a horse guy all day, but one false move and you are going to the hospital.
tip : be prepared for everything.
tip : dont tie the sob to a dead tree, ona side hill 3 miles in....if he gets loose --- good luck catching up.
tactics : lead the horse opening morning with panyards to your desired location. Hunt, kill pack and GO

These guys pretty much covered it, but here goes anyway...

* It is a full time job getting horses, yourself, and gear ready and in shape. Being from back East, we work extra hard to get horses in 'Mountain shape' just like ourselves.
* While hunting, extra time is needed every morning and evening to care for horses - EVERY morning and evening; no spiking out unless your horse(s) is with you.
* Be prepared for the worst - you can count on a wreck of some sort no matter how good your horses/mules
* Not many horses (if any) have ALL good qualities - A lot of practice runs are needed to figure out which horses to pair together, which ones lead/follow better, which ones pack or ride better, which ones will pack meat (most horses/mules don't like the smell of blood), which ones will head for the 'barn' and leave you stranded (don't ask), etc...

Sometimes it doesn't seem like they are worth the extra effort and sometimes they probably aren't! And every trip we consider leaving them behind, but I've been around them so long that they just seem to be part of the whole 'experience'.

After several years, my buddies and I singled out our 6 best - work well together and work well out West for us. Two weeks ago, 3 of the six got killed by lightening. Back to the barn to try a few others out this weekend!!!!

Happy trails and good luck...

Even better than owning/renting is hiring someone to do the packing for you. Cheaper in the long run and less chances of hospitlization. I honestly can't think of a single person who owns horses that hasn't been hurt, some of them serriously, two of them are dead... IMO horses are best either in the form of dog food or someone elses problem. Don't forget tac, feed, pasture, vet bills, etc.

We had a ranch and lots of pasture, but they still ate $$$ worth of hay every winter. Quite possibly the most expensive "pet" you could possibly own.

I grew up around horses and we packed out, litteraly hundreds of animals with them. We only killed 2 on the trail... I perfer to hunt/camp out of a backpack and go back for horses if needed for meat retrieval. The less I'm around them the better off I am. You'll spend a lot more time hunting and a lot less time dicking around in camp, too. They need feed/water, couple times a day, plus you get the joy of chasing after them at night when they run off.

Once you get horses, the next thing you know you'll need 2-3 'pack horses' to drag in enough shit to spend a week, all of which you could have carried on your back.

They aren't worth the hassel, medical bills or headace IMO. :D

They aren't worth the hassel, medical bills or headace IMO. :D

I agree. I almost bought horses until I did some research. If you're not already set-up, they're a huge expense - bigger truck, trailer, barn, feed, tack, etc. I couldn't justify the expense for a few weeks use a year.

I agree, Bambistew. I grew up on a ranch and we used horses for everything. My dad was a horse guy and about had a fit when I bought a Kawasaki Enduro to check windmills!

We used to do a lot of roping besides the ranch chores. I did not like them much then and I like them even less now that it is MY option!

Plenty of distance for the body to gather steam between the top of a horse, the apogee of how high he can pitch ya, and the ground...right Draftstud?

...a lesson I learned early.

I really like my horses. I've had a few wrecks. I've had 2 die while riding:eek: but nothing too serious. All that has been said is true it's just a matter of tolerance really. You have to remember that you have another brain at work up in front and you have no idea what it might be thinking. I'm not a die hard have to ride all day guy. I can load mine up and just walk in if I have to. We don't have a big string or anything. I think most purists frown on the way I do things. I have a lightweight cordura saddle, I will ride with my saddle panniers stuffed with a sleeping bag and food on each side and I will walk and lead them in. Most die harders don't do any of those things. I like the fact that if I ride that my legs are fresh when I reach camp. I love backpacking a bull out of a hole only to load the sucker on the back of my horse for the last 5 miles out.
We've had horses since I can remember so I'm sure I'm just a little glazed over by all the things mentioned. They are true but there are many benefits as well.

PS. Please send me cards after I get hospitalized some day :D

Thanks for your opinions and advice. I remembered an earlier trip to a dude ranch of sort in CO and was talkin to one of the hands who mentioned most of their horses were sold to packers and other outfits because of their already being trained and accustomed to guns, heavy loads, and idiot riders. Right now that would be my option i guess. The truck, property and cost isn't an issue (not trying to be snobbish just eliminating those as reasons against).

Best thing that I can think of is to have a friend with good stock. It is the only way to go. I send him a few hundred buck every year.
Jay

I like hunting with MY horses. Just like hunting with a partner. You have to consider them in the equation when you bring them. Now granted I am a "Horse Guy", and part of the pleasure I get is a properly balanced pack, and a good looking string on the trail.

Now If I am gonna head up above timberline for a weekend bowhunt, I will usually backpack. but a week long elk hunt that my 70 year old father, and 66 yo uncle will go on 10 miles from the truck,has to be a horseback deal.

Just as some people "limit" themselves with Traditional Archery or Front stuffer rifles, I "limit" myself with my fourlegged hunting partners.

I have had great luck renting the horses.I cant afford a hay burner year around not to mention i work all over the country and cant take care of one so we rent 6 horses every year for two weeks and thats perfect cause after that im tired of the knot heads not that i dont like them just they are a lot of work and i used to rodeo all the time and lived for it. I owned 20 head some were the barrel horses and some were my team roping horses and i used all of them to hunt but thankfully now i just rent them and it works out great. And renting them is way cheaper than keeping 6 horses year around. II guess if i was a millionare and owned a big ranch i would have a few but this poor old pipe welder cant afford them anymore. So i still say horses are great to hunt elk with.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back