Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting TV celebrity busted

I don't think you did answer his question. He asked how much time passed between your realization of the wring and contacting the authorities. You never gave a length of time. You just stated that you took the time to formulate a plan then had your attorney contact them. You never stated how many hours, days, weeks, months, that took. So, IMO, you did not answer his question.

Though I have not, thankfully, made the mistake you have I can see how it could happen. However, I would hope that I would be stand up enough to call the authorities as soon as I could. The part about going home, across state lines, and making a "plan" before calling the authorities appears a bit dodgy...

You make a great point 1_pointer!

And no, the question WAS never answered. It would seem that the timing of when IDFG was finally notified by Mr. Beck as to his error would be critical. It would seem that from the newspaper article that the anonymous tipster to IDFG actually set the ball in motion. The chronology of what went down and when seems to be paramount to finding out who is really a stand up guy. Please Mr. Beck, give us a timeline.

No point in beating the guy up here on the threads over what happened. He admitted he made the mistake. Beyond that, if you feel he needs to "pay" more than he has already, contact his sponsors, that are apparently "behind him 110%" Don't buy their products. Write them and ask why they would choose to stand behind someone who poached deer, and are making them look bad. It's all about dollar and cents.......

I think these kind of things can have "teachable moments" so that we all should learn something.

I learned that if you are going to be a poacher, you should have at least one, perhaps more, attorneys on retainer. No sense dealing with Fish and Game yourself when you are guilty, instead, rely on your attorney to negotiate a slap on the wrist.

I think these kind of things can have "teachable moments" so that we all should learn something.

I learned that if you are going to be a poacher, you should have at least one, perhaps more, attorneys on retainer. No sense dealing with Fish and Game yourself when you are guilty, instead, rely on your attorney to negotiate a slap on the wrist.

taxi.gif

I just watched my first and last Extreme Outer Limit show. Africa episode. Everything wrong with TV hunting rolled up in 30 minutes of agony.

Sorry I call BS, you should have turned yourself in as soon as you found out that you messed up. People do it every year and take the punisment because they value there morals. When you hunt for a living you ARE held to a higher standard and should be. If you would have turned yourself in I would be easier on you but because you chose to do the worng thing when no one was looking (so you thought) you are no better then the drunken spotlighter shooting deer out your window Now what other animals have you killed that were poached?? We will never know. That being said you are a loser in my book and an Extreme poacher

Wyodeer,

When you have many other people's interest in the forefront of actions you may have made, it takes time to make a plan that is conducive. What I can tell you is when a plan was in place, I had my attorney contact the DA in Idaho. Then they set the meetings up from there. It was on our accord to make that contact.

Bob Beck
extreme Outer Limits TV

Who contacted whom first? Were you contacted by IDF&G or did you decide to contact them? When did the first contact occur (2010, 2011 or 2012)?

I can understand that mistakes happen. It's how you handle the mistakes that matter. I've made a similar mistake (forgetting hunting license at home) but stopped hunting before I became a poacher.

like my signature says
"Long ago I learned that people are known not by how they act when they are in control, but by how they react when things are beyond their control. - John C. Maxwell (Think on These Things).

gotta ask the same question everyone else is.

Bob, when did you take it upon yourself to notify the authorities? Was it before or after you knew you were being investigated?

It is a simple question to answer.

I think he's just lying to cover his arse and try to save his sponsors.

Here is an update to the situation, as provided by Rich Landers, the reporter who wrote the article in the post that started this thread. Seems that further confirmation of facts has been done by Mr. Landers and he stands by his original report.

Landers has now clarified the timeline as to when the deer were killed (2010), and whether Mr. Beck turned himself in, or if he had to be contacted by authorities before cooperating.

Beck did not own up to the illegal kill until he was confronted by authorities. The guilty plea was entered and the fines were assessed in February 2012.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outd...ells-his-side-idaho-illegal-hunting-citation/

Pretty damning state of affairs. For anyone, but particularly, for a TV host.

Like many here posted, if it was a mistake, fine, we all can make a mistake. If you do, you go and fess up, then move on a little wiser for the effort. You don't wait for over a year to be contacted, hoping you slide under the wire.

Unacceptable. Even more unacceptable for a TV person. TV guys have a lot of reach to sway the opinions of new hunters and non-hunters, so we need to be held to a very high standard.

The hunter decides when something goes from being a mistake and becomes poaching. Anyone can make a mistake. And anyone can fess up and keep it from becoming a poachig incident. That is what sorts the buckwheat from the bullshit.

This is the Sportsman Channel response:

sportsman [email protected] to me
show details Mar 28 (4 days ago)

Thank you, John, for your interest in Sportsman Channel.

We've investigated this on our own by contacting the Director of Idaho Fish & Game and talking with Bob Beck.

What it boils down is a simple matter of making a mistake. Do you really think Bob would risk hundreds of thousands of dollars in sponsors fees, appearances and the network by purposely NOT buying another tag in Idaho? We certainly don't think so and the Director agrees. He said to us this is a misdemeanor and nothing more - Bob Beck is not a lifelong criminal. Bob paid his fees and yes, he will serve his time. But after that, the State of Idaho said they warmly welcome him back to hunting there again.

You can read more about this directly from Bob here: http://www.extremeouterlimitstv.com/journal/

We stand behind Bob and while he certainly has to pay for his mistake, that's all it was.

Sincerely
The Staff at Sportsman Channel.

Their response couldn't just be based on just the money he brings in for them could it? Maybe they got a different story from the IDFG Director that we all don't know about? Sorry, I don't see how a "stand up guy" waits a year or more to admit guilt to illegally killing and transporting a deer out of state? The Sportsman Channel must know something we don't?

The original article also claims deer number 2 is the one that was tagged and deer 1 was never tagged, which is not what Bob says happened. Thats a huge discreprancy IMO...

Must be. He still has a pretty nice lineup of sponsors listed on his web page. Kenetrek, HSM, Nightforce, McMillan, Leica, Kershaw. Must be financially beneficial for them to continue even with the black eye on the show.

$$$$$$$ bottom line maybe?

that is what attorneys are for,to handle those kind of problems head on,if you can afford one,then by all means use on.
those people at fish and game are not on our side,most have there own aggenda,and most would just as likely get ride of hunters,as they would eat there dinner every night,atleast here in oregon they are like that,dont get me wrong,poaching is something that makes me mad,but fish and game are not honest,and do not have hunters issues in mind.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back