MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting the second weekend of Pronghorn season

Goatshoes

I have only one season under my belt with pronghorn and it all ended on opening morning last year.

This year I will be hunting the second weekend, 10/8. Should I expect anything much different, beyond a little more weariness from the animals as a result of a week of hunting pressure? My guess is that they will be no more difficult to find but more difficult to approach. Someone I spoke with suggested that they would be more herded up and less spread out over the prairie.

Any experience on this?

I guess that would depend a lot on the area your hunting and the type of pressure they see. I much prefer the second or third weekend of the season, simply for lack of hunters. I will only hunt opening weekend of Antelope if I have a particular buck I'm hunting, or I'm hunting an area far from a road.

the animals may be a bit spookier, possibly bunched up or on someplace that doesn't allow hunting but one thing I've noticed during MT rifle season is that there is literally 1/3 the people out there.

1St day 100 yards ,2nd day 1/4 mile. I always hunt the last few days of the season.The animals are calmed down and never see another hunter.Sometimes the weather is rough by then.

One thing I have noticed with my limited experience is that as stated before they tended to be herded up and tended to be on the tops of hills. More eyes in higher places obviously makes them harder to approach. But as others have said the lack of other hunters makes up for any more spookiness of the animals. Good luck.

Depends on where you're going. If it's mostly public land, they won't have too many places to go and you should be fine. If it's more private than public, I've found that the goats have pushed onto the private and largely haven't moved back onto public.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back