Hunting Public land when you have access to private land?

I don't hunt turkey, but I do have access to hunt private and public lands. I tend to work the two in a rotation. I might hunt the public land in the morning and hit the private in the evening or hunt the private one day and leave it alone for a few days while i hunt other public areas. I don't blame anyone that has access to private lands when I don't, they did what ever they needed to to earn the rite to have private access.

I would agree with the resounding sentiment that you should hunt turkeys were you enjoy hunting and where you can find them.

On the other hand, gaining access to private land to hunt is such a difficult proposition in many cases. If you were able to gain exclusive permission by being the first to knock on a door or make the right connection, and the second guy in line was frozen out of that opportunity, but then you decided not to take advantage of that permission and that second guy never got a chance, that seems less than ideal. But then that second guy might have been able to go after one on public too...

I just know that there are a lot of people I know who aren't hunting because they have nowhere to hunt. Access is a real obstacle.
It’s my wife’s grandmas farm. There isn’t supposed to be other hunters.

This morning when I was scouting turkeys this thought came across my mind. There was a few other trucks around the public area also scouting for turkeys, I presume. I have been following several groups of turkeys on both private and public land. I prefer to hunt the public land because those turkeys are harder to pattern and all of the other problems associated with hunting any critters on public land adds to the challenge and reward for me. Also my style of hunting, run and gun, fits better on the large tract of public land. However there are also many turkeys that frequent ag fields that I could gain permission to, I actually already have permission to them I just need to let the landowner know I will be in there.
So here is my question:
is it ethical for a person to hunt public land that other people are probably going to be hunting and competing for the same birds when that person could hunt private land that has no shortage of turkeys and they won’t be competing against a person who probably is not fortunate enough to have access to private land but no doubt would probably like to have access to private land?
Yes . Go get a turkey . The public land is yours to enjoy too .

I hunt deer on public land even though my best friend has a ranch with great deer hunting and a standing invitation.

I think it does exacerbate the crowding problem of public land.

Context is king though, if you own an agg field in MT, that gets elk and deer but want to spend your vacation in the mountains that's one thing.

If you own private in WI that is essentially identical to the public land, then hunt the private and don't let people hunt your place... yeah pretty messed up.

In the former context it's about a hunting a different environment, in the latter it's about having it be more difficult simply by activiely making it harder for someone else.

I think in both states the right thing to do is help create opportunity for others.

If your looking for pressured birds couldn't you get the same effect by opening your property up to other hunters?

This reminds me of the R3 articles between Matt and Steve, where Steve brings up the fact that even though Matt hunts public and complains about pressure, when he heads out with his llamas to hunt the back country his private property has signs up on it that say "Trespassers Welcome".

(I realize you may have access, but not control of these properties, and these statements are not and inditement of you, substitute you for one where applicable)

I think it does exacerbate the crowding problem of public land.

Context is king though, if you own an agg field in MT, that gets elk and deer but want to spend your vacation in the mountains that's one thing.

If you own private in WI that is essentially identical to the public land, then hunt the private and don't let people hunt your place... yeah pretty messed up.

In the former context it's about a hunting a different environment, in the latter it's about having it be more difficult simply by activiely making it harder for someone else.

I think in both states the right thing to do is help create opportunity for others.

If your looking for pressured birds couldn't you get the same effect by opening your property up to other hunters?

This reminds me of the R3 articles between Matt and Steve, where Steve brings up the fact that even though Matt hunts public and complains about pressure, when he heads out with his llamas to hunt the back country his private property has signs up on it that say "Trespassers Welcome".

(I realize you may have access, but not control of these properties, and these statements are not and inditement of you, substitute you for one where applicable)
I disagree with the gist of much of this post. Public land is open for all to use, regardless of land ownership. I'll continue to hunt public ground for the same species I could on my own place.

I disagree with the gist of much of this post. Public land is open for all to use, regardless of land ownership. I'll continue to hunt public ground for the same species I could on my own place.
The post was on ethics not laws. You have every right to hunt on public.

If you own land with the same species that you choose to pursue on public, and you don't allow anyone to hunt your property, you do not get to complain about overcrowding, point creep, etc.

In my mind to access to others is that, access, if you let friends and family hunt there then I don't think there is an ethical issue.

If you don't hunt and you don't let people hunt your property that's fine as well.

But if you hunt public and hoard wildlife on private you are part of the problem and certainly don't get to complain about public land crowding.

If you own land with the same species that you choose to pursue on public, and you don't allow anyone to hunt your property, you do not get to complain about overcrowding, point creep, etc.

In my mind to access to others is that, access, if you let friends and family hunt there then I don't think there is an ethical issue.

If you don't hunt and you don't let people hunt your property that's fine as well.

But if you hunt public and hoard wildlife on private you are part of the problem and certainly don't get to complain about public land crowding.
I still disagree. I do not find it unethical to exercise my ability to hunt public land, regardless if I own land or not. Otherwise, it's not really "public". In you're scenario it's only public for those that don't have other options. That doesn't square with me. Nor do I see owning land with wildlife should keep me from having an opinion on point creep or overcrowding as I'm still a part of the "public".

FWIW, none of those are an issue for me where I own land.

I agree with this post more than your previous post. Ethics as defined by Aldo Leopold are doing the right thing even when the wrong thing is legal. Surprisingly there were no other hunters on the piece of public land that I hunted this morning. If there had been I would have either went to another section of public land where the birds have been or went to the private access I have.

I agree with this post more than your previous post. Ethics as defined by Aldo Leopold are doing the right thing even when the wrong thing is legal. Surprisingly there were no other hunters on the piece of public land that I hunted this morning. If there had been I would have either went to another section of public land where the birds have been or went to the private access I have.
My thought was more about the ethics of the resource rather than your specific question and I realize maybe a departure from your topic.

To your case, totally ethical, someone else may “use” those birds on private that you choose not to pursue.

Full disclosure, I have access to a great piece of turkey and mule deer property in CO often I hunt it, I have also hunted public for these species. I have ruminated on this subject a decent amount, and this is the conclusion I came to, doesn’t mean I right.

Last edited:
I still disagree. I do not find it unethical to exercise my ability to hunt public land, regardless if I own land or not. Otherwise, it's not really "public". In you're scenario it's only public for those that don't have other options.
You are entitled to use public land regardless of your property ownership, I agree.

Nor do I see owning land with wildlife should keep me from having an opinion on point creep or overcrowding as I'm still a part of the "public".

One is then complaining about a problem they helped to create.

If the piece of public your hunting is too crowded, you could walk up to the folks in the lot at the end of the day and say; "Hi, so this it's getting a bit nuts over here, but I really want to hunt this spot, I've got a bunch of turkeys on my place, how do you feel about hunting there tomorrow?"

None of this is about what's legal, there should never be any laws regarding it, but there are some moral questions about resource allocation, and perpetuation of the sport.

Here in ND , what absolutely drives me crazy is when u have guys/gals that have primo private land , post it solid , don’t let a sole hunt , but then go and hunt on neighbors land or wherever else . Unbelievably bad ethics IMO. Hunting public is a different story , cuz we all own the public . IMO

You are entitled to use public land regardless of your property ownership, I agree.

If the piece of public your hunting is too crowded, you could walk up to the folks in the lot at the end of the day and say; "Hi, so this it's getting a bit nuts over here, but I really want to hunt this spot, I've got a bunch of turkeys on my place, how do you feel about hunting there tomorrow?"

None of this is about what's legal, there should never be any laws regarding it, but there are some moral questions about resource allocation, and perpetuation of the sport.
In my case resource allocation is not an issue. There are equally the number of birds on the public land as I hunt, possibly more, versus the private land I could hunt. There is no "hoarding of birds" by private landowners because the turkeys are truly nomadic and no landowner in this area owns enough land to keep the turkeys on their land. Deer may be a different story as the whitetails are not as nomadic as the turkeys.

I have a similar situation here in Wisconsin, the private we own and i have access to has a healthy population of turkey's. Whereas the public, that starts just a mile or so down the road has a low population. I very seldom hunt the public anymore, because i don't want to take an opportunity away from someone who's only option is public, when i have such good hunting on private.

While I understand the point you are making, I don't agree with it especially when one ties it to resource allocation and perpetuation of the sport in regards to owning/accessing private land.

What would be nice, IMO, is if people thought about where they hunt, and how they hunt, impacting the wildlife and their fellow hunters. Consideration for others is never a bad thing, but not a requirement in regard to public land specifically, we're all equal owners with equal access.

In general, I've seen a recent, and very dramatic decline in ethics in regard to public land and consideration of the resource and other recreational users than ever before.

In the past, public land users were pretty respectful of each other and the resource...that ship has sailed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back