Hunting Public land when you have access to private land?

Private land hunting is like a high maintenance trophy girlfriend. Looks good on your arm, but doesn't necessarily kiss any better. And then there is all the baggage.
Is she worth it? Hell, the OP feels guilty for thinking about her.
Public land is like those girls we dream about in high school. They are good looking, wild and free. They don’t care if you go with another or travel the country searching for a new piece. They welcome you with arms wide open no matter how long you stray.

This morning when I was scouting turkeys this thought came across my mind. There was a few other trucks around the public area also scouting for turkeys, I presume. I have been following several groups of turkeys on both private and public land. I prefer to hunt the public land because those turkeys are harder to pattern and all of the other problems associated with hunting any critters on public land adds to the challenge and reward for me. Also my style of hunting, run and gun, fits better on the large tract of public land. However there are also many turkeys that frequent ag fields that I could gain permission to, I actually already have permission to them I just need to let the landowner know I will be in there.
So here is my question:
is it ethical for a person to hunt public land that other people are probably going to be hunting and competing for the same birds when that person could hunt private land that has no shortage of turkeys and they won’t be competing against a person who probably is not fortunate enough to have access to private land but no doubt would probably like to have access to private land?
The word ethics gets tossed around a lot because people have different ideas of what's right and wrong. This is really a question of morals not ethics. Ethics is simply if it is legal and normal behavior for the society in which you live. I can't imagine that it would be illegal and therefore must be ethical.

As to the morality of it, I think that you should find your joy where you find it weather it be public or private.

sometimes, public is better than private. Those places that "are so popular no one goes there" ....know what I mean, Jelly Bean?

I split my turkey hunting between public and private and occasionally hunt waterfowl on private...I do well on both but the edge goes to private due to less pressure. I dont elk hunt much on private simply because I dont have access...but I would for the same reason

I am extremely fortunate to own and hunt on 300 acres of Minnesota river bottom, forest and CRP land. Been in my family since 1888 and I know how lucky I am to have a yearly opportunity (though no guarantee) of deer, wild turkey, ducks and small game. I also hunt public land. Why? There is a lot of reasons, but what it boils down to is that each land type offers me a series of experiences and possibilities the other does not.

Oh and in the Midwest at least, private land hunting isn't as easy as its cracked up to be. I heard multiple toms, but failed to shoot a turkey this year, just like last year. Maybe that just means I am a lousy turkey hunter.

Like public land, most private land isn't "trophy caliber" either. Not every private land deer hunter lives in Bluff County, Wisconsin surprisingly enough. Its possible to find public land areas that are less pressured than private during the states firearms dear season, where having 15 plus hunters per square mile of huntable land is almost a guarantee, all squeezed in on tiny, family owned parcels surrounded by barren ag. fields. Our 300 acres is a hell of a lot more than most people have, and you can always count on guys just over the other side of the fence, hopped up on whitetail management YouTube videos and reeking of fresh clover and doe estrus.

Last edited:
I am extremely fortunate to own and hunt on 300 acres of Minnesota river bottom, forest and CRP land. Been in my family since 1888 and I know how lucky I am to have a yearly opportunity (though no guarantee) of deer, wild turkey, ducks and small game. I also hunt public land. Why? There is a lot of reasons, but what it boils down to is that each land type offers me a series of experiences and possibilities the other does not.

Oh and in the Midwest at least, private land hunting isn't as easy as its cracked up to be. I heard multiple toms, but failed to shoot a turkey this year, just like last year. Maybe that just means I am a lousy turkey hunter.

Like public land, most private land isn't "trophy caliber" either. Not every private land deer hunter lives in Bluff County, Wisconsin surprisingly enough. Its possible to find public land areas that are less pressured than private during the states firearms dear season, where having 15 plus hunters per square mile of huntable land is almost a guarantee, all squeezed in on tiny, family owned parcels surrounded by barren ag. fields. Our 300 acres is a hell of a lot more than most people have, and you can always count on guys just over the other side of the fence, hopped up on whitetail management YouTube videos and reeking of fresh clover and doe estrus.
This!! I could not say how I feel any better!

Been there. It’s all about a huge amount of contiguous acres with homogenous thoughts from all landowners. Most private I hunted in Wisconsin is a slaughterfest.

I really enjoy hunting public lands in the west.... regardless of whether or not it is a rat race with the other hunters theres something about it that gets in your blood. I have no desire to hunt private land.

Back