Hunting Price Estimates

that's really cool of Idaho to do that!! and that's a good estimate for montana too according to my calculations and others input. not bad for an experience like that!! I really thank you for that info!
Exactly my thoughts man!! and you mean $1600 is your amount counting tags and licenses and your 1/3 of expenses?

One more question if you have time...this might sound dumb but the license is where you pay for the elk and deer combo around 1000 bucks for montana...so how much are tags? in NC they are very cheap. jw if its the same out there.

A problem with flying is if you need a rental vehicle.
You can rent a 4x4 vehicle but they’re going to come with the same 4-ply piece of shit, worthless tires all new vehicles come with. You can spend a lot of time in the tire shop.

I think there are becoming a few better options like Turo or a company out of Bozeman that rents real trucks but your airport rental companies like Alamo and Enterprise have pavement vehicles.

This is why I love the Hunting Community. Helpful at every turn. you cant find that anywhere else. Thanks to everyone that responded and gave some input and information, it was all used and will be very helpful to get me out west on a hunt!! cant wait to show the group when the hard work and planning all comes together to equal a great hunt!

That's a great idea with a topper! might have to look into the cow tag hunt just for learning. id hate to spend 1000 bucks on a bull tag and waste time bc I had no idea what I was doing haha. still would be worth it for the experience don't get me wrong but you know what I mean...good way to learn the land and how to approach. btw I was almost one of those stories with the propane heater...not my brightest move. lol
If you wanna split the difference between cow and trophy class bull there is the option to buy otc spike bill tags in Utah and they are cheaper than the any bull tag. I think it runs about $495 for the non resident spike tag and you don’t have to draw it. I haven’t done the hunt myself but it seems like it would be fun since I don’t even have room in my house for a 300-350 class bull anyway. Spikes make a cool diy euro mount and meat is good. Would be a cool learning experience.

Yea im really looking to make all this happen in 2020 or 2021. I heard Colorado was expensive and kinda hard to get tags for? of course ive only heard that and you have done it so who am I to know lol!
Yea im really looking to make all this happen in 2020 or 2021. I heard Colorado was expensive and kinda hard to get tags for? of course ive only heard that and you have done it so who am I to know lol!
Unless it has changed Colorado has quite a few areas that are OTC. Specifically the White River National Forest area. My brother did it a few years ago. He didn’t kill a bull but some other guys camping near them did. He had a great time. Talks about it all the time. Had 3 moose walk right by his camp. Too bad he didn’t have a moose tag. We are from North Carolina also.

Just as an example, I'm going to be right around $1,600 for my Idaho trip this year from the very bottom of Florida, lol. That includes elk and deer tags (we're going archery), hunting licenses, gas split 3 ways, four nights in a hotel split 3 ways (2 nights driving up and 2 nights driving back), food, and other misc. minor stuff. We're camping in the unit we'll be hunting to save money and trying to limit any "extra" stuff. We chose to drive primarily because of what these other guys are saying about cost. Once you add in a rental car and consider possibly getting meat home it gets expensive fast.
Sounds like you’ve got your game dialed in really well to do it that cheap. Hope you do well.

Don't disagree with hassle of flying but that is not a two day drive with one driver. 30+ hours plus gas stops. I'm a road warrior and have driven coast to coast four times and many "shorter" long haul trips. You won't be worth shooting and will be tempted to push through when you are sleepy.

Is there any way to find a second hunter? Everything gets easier and cheaper. The second doesn't have to buy a tag. He just needs to up for the adventure. Pay 2/3 of costs if you are the only one hunting and you still save money and make the drive easier.

Plane ticket + rental vehicle... driving is way cheaper.

What I like about driving, other than breaking down along side of the road, is if the hunt ends on Day 2 then can head on home. You can also bring more things if drive such as more clothes in case weather gets fickle or can bring black powder and primers where are no-go if flying. Much easier to get the meat home. I tend to drive solo but is much more fun with a buddy or spouse along who can share some of the driving. 10 hours of windshield wipers or crosswinds rocking the vehicle will start to wear on your naturally sunny disposition. I listen to a mystery or detective novel each day as drive and really helps me pass the hours.

I listen to a mystery or detective novel each day as drive and really helps me pass the hours.

Really good audio books are an absolute must... caffeine pills are also helpful, that way you don’t have to stop as much. That being said everyone has there own tolerances and solo cross country isn’t for everyone.

Trip cost when i was active duty and had to drive from east cost worked out: tag/license fees + $1 per mile one way... thats everything! 2012 and $3.50-$4 gallon gas cost me $1533 in fuel for entire trip. Still think better and cheaper to drive. Supplies, meat care, camping enjoyment make drive worth it to me. Time is hardest problem....

You’ve probably gotten all you need from folks on here already, but I thought I would give you my playbook coming from Virginia for your reference. Here is the rough budget I work off for a Montana hunt:

License - $1,100 (combo tag)
Gas/Tolls - $750 (total, if more people, split the cost)
Food/Drink - $100/person
Lodging - $60/night (estimated could be more could be less depending on what you want to pay for. I figure at least one night in a bed somewhere to shower and recover, but if you are not going backcountry or staying in a camper, there is a lot to be said for finding an AirBnB and sleeping in a bed each night. If funds are tight this is probably the easiest cost to cut by sleeping in tent/truck.)
Gear/Incidentals - $200 (similar to the previous post about adding 10%, I plan a couple hundred bucks for trip specific gear/incidentals)

Going solo-diy on public land I figure minimum $2,000-$2,500. You’re looking at 2 days driving there-5 days hunting-3 days driving back. If the season/schedule allows then you have two weekends in there and you are taking 6 days off work. Adding just one more person cuts your cost/person down to $1,700-$2,100 and you can hunt for two more days because the drive can be made straight through by rotating drivers often. (I have done this three times with only 1-2 other people in the car. 5-hour energies and run laps around the truck while gassing up)

If the budget is still tight and you want a little higher chance of success consider the suggestion of cow tags. Skipping the combo hunt in Montana and focusing solely on elk you could do Wyoming or Colorado for about $400 less. Idaho is also less for the tag, but adds more mileage and time to the drive.

Don't disagree with hassle of flying but that is not a two day drive with one driver. 30+ hours plus gas stops. I'm a road warrior and have driven coast to coast four times and many "shorter" long haul trips. You won't be worth shooting and will be tempted to push through when you are sleepy.

Is there any way to find a second hunter? Everything gets easier and cheaper. The second doesn't have to buy a tag. He just needs to up for the adventure. Pay 2/3 of costs if you are the only one hunting and you still save money and make the drive easier.

Yea I talked to my hunting buddy last night and hes gunna save up some vacation time and make the trip with me to help drive and film! paying 2/3 of the expenses is a good idea considering he isn't going to have a tag..unless he ends up getting a cow tag with me!

What I like about driving, other than breaking down along side of the road, is if the hunt ends on Day 2 then can head on home. You can also bring more things if drive such as more clothes in case weather gets fickle or can bring black powder and primers where are no-go if flying. Much easier to get the meat home. I tend to drive solo but is much more fun with a buddy or spouse along who can share some of the driving. 10 hours of windshield wipers or crosswinds rocking the vehicle will start to wear on your naturally sunny disposition. I listen to a mystery or detective novel each day as drive and really helps me pass the hours.

Joe rogans podcasts get me thru any long drive! and meat eater podcast and randys as well! im kind of looking forward to the drive now!

This cannot be overstated. Don't drive tired, especially by yourself. Our drive will about 36 hours each way and we're planning to do it in two 18 hour days between 3 drivers. Two 6 hour shifts each and trying to catch +/- 6 hours of sleep at night.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back